no budget for recruitment?

Dutch Dawg

aspenleaf said:
.....So they have asked us to try to find people and have them contact HR. All my friends think I am nuts to work at 3 am and load trucks....
I guess I don't understand why you would feel this burden is your's?

aspenleaf

I just care that the job gets done and we need workers and they (HR) are not bringing any new people in. Plus when we are fully staffed we don't have supervisors loading trucks. . .

B

BROWN OBSERVER

Offer these posiitons to those people who stand at street corners and ask for hand outs. Imagine what a difference it work make to get these poor people off the streets.

A lot of them need a second chance to turn their life around. Had a delivery to a food bank recently, the people started lining up before they were opened, I can tell you they look like a neighbor or a non-homeless person, regular people like you and me fallen on hard times...very sad.

trickpony1

Aspen,
You would probably be better off if you devoted this altruism that you seem to have to your education and nursing career.
I've found that I don't make any more money if I care then if I don't care and at the end of my day I am more relaxed and not all torn up inside from the frustration. The boxes will get loaded and delivered regardless of if you care or not.
I will caution you that the company will take advantage of your good nature and strong work ethic.
Don't cast your pearls before swine.

aspenleaf

Okay, I can't say I have not been warned. Thanks for the feedback.

In other news my lacrosse team just won the championship!!!! (Colorado Mammoth)

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I will caution you that the company will take advantage of your good nature and strong work ethic.
Don't cast your pearls before swine.

While there is truth to what Trick posted, I think that him not caring is a bald face lie.

There are very few UPS drivers that dont care about doing the best job they can every day. Its a personal pride thing. And from Trick's post over the last year or so, he might talk like he really does not care, but he really does. And that passion that he has displayed, each one of us has. But as he has warned, dont let the job consume you. You can and one day will be replaced, and after a year or two, it will be "you remember (fill in the blank)?" and many people will say not really.

So while the job is important, make family more important, esp your spouse and children. Invest what time you can on them, the return is more than any investment. With the long hours it is tough, but can be done.

Just some thoughts from an ole broken down warhorse:cool:

d

aspenleaf

Goodness, I am sorry if I have given the impression that I think my job is that important or that I am even good at it. I know I can and will be replaced and I don't care if anyone remembers me as I will have moved on. I just found it odd that they would tell us in a meeting that we needed to ask around to find new workers. I take in pride in everything I do; no matter what job (I always have and most likely always will – if a job gets to be where it does start to consume me I leave) This job does not yet consume me; I do actually enjoy my job but I can quit any time - I'm not addicted! :tongue_sm

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I'm not saying you are. But once you have a good paying job, you then start having larger responsibilities to consume that money. So then in a way, you are stuck if not careful.

I am with trick also about you staying in school. Be passionate about what you learn and do after-wards. If it is driving a UPS truck, thats fine, if it is working with people that need your caring touch to help them make it one more day, then I think you will be excellent at that also. But above all else, dont lose passion for life. And one of the fastest things to kill that passion is to be stuck in a job that you really dont care about. Thats all.

BTW, with your drive and commitment even to a part time position, I would hire you in a heartbeat too. Because I know you care enough about your performance to make it you best day in and out. A half ass-ed attempt is not in your vocabulary.

d

aspenleaf

Thanks D! I do not drive nor do I want to. My only reason for being at UPS is to have them pay for nursing school! I have one more year until I can become an RN. So my passion is nursing and helping people and I think icky stuff is cool. I would not give up school to work for UPS full time. So you do not have to worry about that (not that you would). I am a very passionate person and that is why these "little" issues I bring up seem to consume me but I can assure you I don't think about them all the time. I love this part-time job and that is becasue without I could not be in school. UPS is the only job that will work with my clincal schedule and pay for school. My work ethic is something I got from my parents. And you are right about the half-assed attempt - that is not me. The way I am is for me, not UPS or even my drivers (whom I think are awesome). I feel good about myself and that makes me the type of worker I am. And the reason I want my boxline to be fully staffed is that my supervisor will not stack behind 3 trucks and then want me to load one last minute. That just sucks - afterall I put in my time and want to go home when my drivers leave... not go load yet another truck. So it really benefits me to have another worker next to me... not my sup.

:thumbup1:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I understand that logic. And while others might not, or attempt to put you down, I find that ethic to be quite refreshing.

As for your nursing career, that passion will be tested. Keep your ideals, regardless of what may happen. It is a rough field, and will spit out those that are not made of sturdy genes.

My gut tells me though that you will not only make it, but do very very well.

And when you do leave brown, check in with the gang once in a while, let us know what you are doing. Once brown, always brown.

d

aspenleaf

I will check in with you all once I leave. I don't care if others want to put me down. I know that nursing will be difficult but I can handle it. I had to wait a few years to get into school and in that time I researched what I was getting into to. I left a very good paying job for nursing school so I know without a doubt this is what I want. The good thing about nursing is that there are so many areas I can work and should I get tired of patient care I can do case management or nursing informatics or a variety of other things. I would like to work for the State Health Dept one day. I am still young enough that I have lots of time to see what is out there. I know my passion will be tested but with the huge shortage we have for nurses if I don’t like one place I can leave. I will not let myself get trapped in a cycle that I can’t get out of. And should that not work out I can always go back to loading trucks! :thumbup1:<O:p</O:p

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
My wife started out as a floor nurse, then head nurse, then floor supervisor. When she looked elsewhere is when she managed one whole section of the hospital, worked 12-14 hour days, on call for the whole hospital for one whole week out of the month (which entails the hospital calling her all hours of the day or night during the week for any no shows, problems, etc for the whole hospital. Sometimes that would be 15 to 25 phone calls starting at 11 PM to 6 AM)

Currently she is a research manager for clinical research. She seems to enjoy it much better, the nights and weekends are finally hers again. Not making $75 grand a year, but after a while, money is not everything.

Aspen, as I said, you will be successful, even if you sent your sights on being a garbage person(ie sanitation engineer)!

d

aspenleaf

Thanks, and you know a lot about nursing from your wife. I have no interest in running a whole floor. I want to be happy in my job so I will not let the glimmer of more money entice me to a job that will make me unhappy (I have done that before and it sucked). If you are happy doing something should continue otherwise a change is needed. I know this now and will do what is best for myself and my family.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have thought aspenleaf was great since her first post. After awhile you just know them when you see them, or read them, and they are rare. You are one in a billion. You will do well anywhere you go. Anyone, any employer, will be lucky to have you. the work ethic you got from your parents is strong, as it should be. Good Luck Aspenleaf, you ar a breath of fresh air to us.

aspenleaf

Thanks Toonertoo, it is just the way I am. Life is too short to be unhappy and I am one happy camper (usually). At UPS I got two of my trucks back and I have one cage now - not two like I had before. I really do not mind going in early and then going to school right after work. I find it rewarding to do a good job. I know I seem over the top at times; I will try to curb that enthusiasm when posting (maybe, can't really promise that!)

So did you all have a good week?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Aspen, it was not the money that made her want to move up, it was the idea of being able to change things for the better. And for a while she did and was very successful. Her whole wing had a much lower turn over rate than the rest of the hospital. Many of the cost indicators that the hospitals look at were in line, or under budget. Getting people in to cover for others was not a problem.

Thing about it was that after a while, the director of nursing and others felt threatened by the way she was so successful. And when she attempted to develop the magnet hospital nursing program is when they began to tear her floor apart. Things like transferring some of her nurses to other areas, and giving her rookies to replace them, not supporting the discipline on a nurse that violated patent privacy rights because the nurse was gay and they feared discrimination problems. And it went on and on. So after about 10 years of making a difference, she felt like she had hit a brick wall.

After dealing with this for a while her health began to really show the toll, so she put in her notice. IMHO, the best thing she has ever done. But the health problems caused by the stress are forever.

BTW, when I was going to school, I worked "part time" from 11:30 PM on the hub, then the car wash, then the preload till 8:30-9, then went to school. Three days a week I also worked at a pizza place from 5-11PM, and two days a week for a farmer. I think the only time I ever slept was on weekends and on the way to and from school. And I was the driver. Believe it or not, at the time I was studying premed. Just did not want it bad enough I guess when the full time job opened up.

d

Last edited:

aspenleaf

That is horrible that they did that to her. I was not implying anything about your wife and money (that was all about me and my history). It is horrible when nurses turn on each other. I bet your wife was wonderful at what she did and it is a shame that her passion was destroyed by some jealous nurses. I hope she likes what she is doing now.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
If nurses and hospitals were all about how good the nurses took care of the sick, everything would be great. But anymore it involves a lot of politics. That is where things really suck.

I know you were not implying anything, just thought I would share a few more thoughts.

d

aspenleaf

I know about the politics... I used to be an activities director in a nursing home and DON hated me from the time she met me. I remember the day I met her and welcomed her to the nursing home and she just gave me smug look and walked away. She tried to fire me and she even wrote me up even though she was my peer - we were both department heads and I know that activities is not like being DON but she was on a power trip. She got the other department heads to say my exercise program was not good enough (and none of them had even sat in to see what I did but they all told me I sucked….) So I was sent to another home to observe her program and was told on the way over not to feel bad that they are better since she had 5 assistants!!!! I had a part time assistant, did 50 hours of work on site and took paper work home each night and spent hours on it. (And their program may have worked for that population but I had different residents in my home.) She got the administrator fired and got her best friend hire as the new admin. I left shortly after that and went to AT&T. It is too bad that people can't just do what is right. Why do they have to be sneaky and underhanded is beyond me. I am not that way and I hate when I have to play games to keep a job.