No call no show. Help!

So last night on my way to work i had a flat tire. no phone on me so i wasnt able to call in. Ive only been working at UPS for 2 months on unload so im still on probation and im pretty worried about my job. Any have an idea to what might happen to me?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
So last night on my way to work i had a flat tire. no phone on me so i wasnt able to call in. Ive only been working at UPS for 2 months on unload so im still on probation and im pretty worried about my job. Any have an idea to what might happen to me?
Apologize profusely and assure them it won't happen again. You should have call or texted your sup at some point when you got home to explain what happened.

AndUPSER

I would have probably at least showed up, even if it was 4 hours into the sort, or at least try to find a business that would let you use their phone.

J

jibbs

No-call no-shows are pretty bad to do when you're on probation, but hey, man, I have a short story that might make you a bit more optimistic.

I was hired August 2012, squeezed in right before they started hiring seasonals. I showed up every day 15min early at least, but I had an alarm clock :censored2:-up and a power outage cause me to miss work a single time in each of my last two weeks on probation. Both ended up being no-call no-shows. I went above and beyond calling and friend*in' showed up around noon the first time it happened so I could speak in person with my manager (I only live a few miles from my center), but :censored2:in' nobody was there that I recognized, and when I asked the one person I saw that happened to be in browns if there were any of the preload management around, she said they had all either gone home or were on-road shuttling misloads.

The second time I said :censored2: the hassle and just showed up early the next day to apologize and explain.

Still with UPS, juuuuuuuust about 2 years later. I'm not sure if they liked me or just desperately needed bodies for the upcoming peak that year (it's really, really probably the latter), but I think you should be alright if you're a decent worker. I can only speak from my own experience, though, and outside of Christmas-time I've seen several people fired after a couple no-call no-shows, but I also remember at least two guys that randomly vanished for like 2 weeks and just popped up back on the preload one day, no questions asked (publicly, I mean).

So yeah, it could go either way. Try to get in touch with your management as soon as you possibly can, though. Looks better when you're proactive about apologizing, you know?

TheFigurehead

Flat tire and no donut?? ........rrrriiiggghhht. :D

Sure... because part time package handlers who just started, and are making, essentially, minimum wage, can all afford nice new vehicles with all of the proper safety equipment included. Have you seen the parking lot when the pt'ers are in? I can't believe half of their cars make it there on a regular basis...

You are way out of touch.

aiian

Spare tire was an added option on my wife's Benz.

I guess they figure her 'type' would be more apt to call AAA than change a flat and they're right.

aiian

And you should see the super high tech transformer of a spare that it came with.

I admit I was stumped when I first pulled it out of the hatch.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy

Sooner or later during the course of the night you made it to someplace with a phone. Why didn't you call then?

Z

ZQXC

Quick question; How old are you?