no call no show

dire2000

I signed up to work a double shift on sunday. start time was 8:15 i woke up around 8:30. I looked outside and it was snowing/sleeting outside. I didnt have a call in number for the area I was scheduled to work in. So I went back to bed. got a letter for a no call no show. the FT Union Steward told me he has never seen disciplined for missing a double shift. anyone ever hear of that?

Nimnim

The Nim
Never heard of anyone getting in trouble for not reporting for an optional or double shift. Should be an easy grievance.

Nimnim

The Nim
Actually given some more thought on it, I should say I've never seen any discipline, but as far as "trouble" it's usually management just skips you over for not showing up the next time around. I've seen some people who have been skipped over because they didn't show up when they said they'd come in for extra work and it's hard for the union to fight for more than not skipping them over. If someone is persistent enough they can get management to agree to a paying grievance, but it usually ends up that management won't skip the person the next time.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
By signing up for the shift and not showing screwed a fellow employee. It's one thing to call out an hour before, but not showing up is stupid.

AND WHAT THE HELL DOES SNOW HAVE TO DO WITH IT

Nimnim

The Nim
If you sign up for a double shift and don't show up it is the same as not showing up for your regular shift. The letter was justified.

While I don't completely agree only because of past practice I've seen it's still not right to sign up for an extra shift and not show.

IzzyTheNose

By signing up for the shift and not showing screwed a fellow employee. It's one thing to call out an hour before, but not showing up is stupid.

AND WHAT THE HELL DOES SNOW HAVE TO DO WITH IT

He didn't screw anyone over. Let's not get dramatic here. If there was a list posted for an OPTIONAL day of work, and he signed it, all his signature means is that he's available. It doesn't mean it's mandatory to show up. If he had called in sick for that Sunday, would they then pay him for that used sick day? Absolutely not. Because it's not part of his normally scheduled work week, where his presence IS mandatory.

Grieve it. You'll easily win. This was an OPTIONAL day of work you signed up for. They're just salty because you told them you would be there, but didn't show, and now they're trying to lean on you.

upschuck

He didn't screw anyone over. Let's not get dramatic here. If there was a list posted for an OPTIONAL day of work, and he signed it, all his signature means is that he's available. It doesn't mean it's mandatory to show up. If he had called in sick for that Sunday, would they then pay him for that used sick day? Absolutely not. Because it's not part of his normally scheduled work week, where his presence IS mandatory.

Grieve it. You'll easily win. This was an OPTIONAL day of work you signed up for. They're just salty because you told them you would be there, but didn't show, and now they're trying to lean on you.

Don't know either way, but you contradicted yourself.

upschuck

First you say all it means is that he is available, then you say they are salty because you told them that you would be there

IzzyTheNose

That's how THEY see it, dude. If his presence were mandatory, a list wouldn't have been posted in the first place. They probably needed the staffing is all, which is why they're trying to lean on him. Either way, they can't pinch him for not showing for a day he didn't have to work.

He did if he signed up and a junior person could not take advantage of the double shift.

upschuck

What exactly does the list you sign mean? It should say on the list. Does it mean that you are going to be there, or does it mean I'm available, tell me if you need me? If it means the first, then you are skipping a scheduled work day(self scheduled, but scheduled indeed, they are planning on you being there), if it means the latter, and they did not tell you, then no punishment should be given.

upschuck

He did if he signed up and a junior person could not take advantage of the double shift.

Agree with you if not everybody worked that wanted to. At my hub they work everyone that wants to, longer than they want to because they don't have the manpower.

IzzyTheNose

The only way your scenario plays out, is if management doesn't call someone to replace Dire. But then that would mean they probably didn't need Dire after all. Which obviously isn't the case, seeing as they're trying to write him up for a no-call-no-show.

He didn't screw anyone over, except maybe management, who WANTED him there. Either way, it's an optional day. He has ZERO obligation to show up for a day of work if it's not mandatory.

The only way your scenario plays out, is if management doesn't call someone to replace Dire. But then that would mean they probably didn't need Dire after all. Which obviously isn't the case, seeing as they're trying to write him up for a no-call-no-show.

He didn't screw anyone over, except maybe management, who WANTED him there. Either way, it's an optional day. He has ZERO obligation to show up for a day of work if it's not mandatory.

He said he signed up. We sign up here. People get bonus, higher paying work and start times, by seniority. If he took a spot and didn't call or show by the time mgmt realizes he's absent it is too late to call in his replacement.

That being said I have never seen a letter handed out for a extra work day.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
You shouldn't receive a warning letter for missing a double shift. Not showing up is a bit of a dick move and depending on local practice (in my area, if you're on the extra work list and are called in to work and aren't available 3x in a row you can be removed from the doubles list for 30 days) there are consequences, but that shouldn't include discipline.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
It's really about personal responsibility. If you sign up to work then someone expects you to show up, on time. If you put your name on a list, it means, "I will be there..you can count on me". Discipline should be the expected repercussion for stating you could be relied upon and then dropping the ball. Whether there was a "need" at wok is irrelevant, it's about personal ethics and character. Not blowing it out of proportion, but stating "the code".

Ouch

By signing the list he has a 100% obligation to show up.
So you saw the list and know exactly what it said? You have no idea if it was an available to work or an im going to be there list. As a steward ive never seen anyone get a warning letter for signing an extra work sheet. In my facility anyway.