no call no show

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So you saw the list and know exactly what it said? You have no idea if it was an available to work or an im going to be there list. As a steward ive never seen anyone get a warning letter for signing an extra work sheet. In my facility anyway.

Neither have I. Are you saying that there should be no recourse for signing up to work and then not showing up?

Ouch

Neither have I. Are you saying that there should be no recourse for signing up to work and then not showing up?
I cant honestly tell you he signed up to work. I didnt see the sheet. Neither did you or anybody else unless they work out of his building. As long as we are being honest I cant say what he signed. I dont personally feel like he should be punished for not showing up. How many times have you needed help and them not send it? It is what it is. Extra work is extra work. Not mandatory.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My calling for help that never shows is not the same as an hourly who without coercion signs a list to work an extra shift and then doesn't bother showing up.

I had said earlier that the warning letter was justified; I have had time to think about that and think that it was excessive and that a verbal warning would have sufficed. Letting this go would set a bad precedent.

dire2000

on the sign up list they put you in a different area then your normal one. They don't supply you with a number if you can't make it, or else I would of called in. Even the double shift act of 9/28/04 doesn't say anything about discipline.

dire2000

it's done on the computer. You put your gems ID in and you submit it. If you make the list it says the area and time. No call in number for that area is listed. Nothing about if you can't make it in call..... Nothing.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

it's done on the computer. You put your gems ID in and you submit it. If you make the list it says the area and time. No call in number for that area is listed. Nothing about if you can't make it in call..... Nothing.

Voluntarily signing the list and having an area and report time assigned means you are basically signing a contract.

If you didn't think that you screwed up you would have stopped responding by now.

RealPerson

It is Simple.
If you already were ASKED to come in and you agreed, you are obligated, like a Normal Shift.
If you are on the Call in list, and they call you can turn it down 3 times and removed from the list.
We have had guys asked to Double the rest of the week. If they agree, they MUST show up or it is a call in.

Ouch

He didnt sign a contract. What in the wirld are you talking about. Your probably the one that sent him the warning letter. Give it a break mr. Ups. Let me ask you this. What if he had a wreck that morning on the way to work? What does he do then genious? No number to call. No way to contact the hub he was suppose to go to. What then. God forbid a family member passing, what then? Who does he call. You cant bleed brown that much. Dont worry op they will not fire you for one no call. Grieve it and I hope you win it.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Voluntarily signing the list and having an area and report time assigned means you are basically signing a contract.

If you didn't think that you screwed up you would have stopped responding by now.

The union doesn't recognize extra-contract agreements and bargaining unit members have always had the right to refuse a bid, whether to take a 22.3/feeder/package car job or a preferred job in the hub. The same applies to extra work.

Everyone_has_a_Price

My calling for help that never shows is not the same as an hourly who without coercion signs a list to work an extra shift and then doesn't bother showing up.

I had said earlier that the warning letter was justified; I have had time to think about that and think that it was excessive and that a verbal warning would have sufficed. Letting this go would set a bad precedent.

Ya, because Ups is always about high precedent

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Cut through all the BS here
He signed up for the extra shift and didn't show for it
Discipline or no discipline, this boy should realize that a MAN would go to work if he signed up for it.

CASE CLOSED :closedeye

L

Lizzzow

If you say you are going to do to something - do it. Where's your work ethic? Don't blame others because you can't follow through and make it to work on time. Set an alarm.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
He signed up to work and was told his start time was 815. He did not sign up to say he was "available".

Letter justified.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
The union doesn't recognize extra-contract agreements and bargaining unit members have always had the right to refuse a bid, whether to take a 22.3/feeder/package car job or a preferred job in the hub. The same applies to extra work.

The employee did not just sign an extra work list -- he AGREED to work the shift. The company was burned because it implemented a plan based upon his presence; his fellow employees were burned since somebody who was interested in extra work may not have been able to perform it (instead, the job may have been performed by management).

Although uncommon since the Great Recession, my building frequently posted extra work lists (as specified by the local rider) for alternate shifts as well as alternate shifts in other area facilities. Most often, these lists were used to fill last minute needs, but sometimes they were used for advanced planning in creating staffing needs/start times/etc. Here an employee has become obligated to perform extra work once he/she has AGREED to come in.

I also agree the warning letter's justified.