no call no show

I wouldnt give their discipline 2 freaking seconds of my Christmas time , in fact file on every supervisor working and push it up their butts .

One reason sups will be allowed to work is because they've exhausted every attempt to get help in to do the work.

It's like the movie " It's a Wonderful Life". "Every time there's a no call, no show, a supervisor gets to work".

Enjoy the butt play.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
The employee did not just sign an extra work list -- he AGREED to work the shift. The company was burned because it implemented a plan based upon his presence; his fellow employees were burned since somebody who was interested in extra work may not have been able to perform it (instead, the job may have been performed by management).

Although uncommon since the Great Recession, my building frequently posted extra work lists (as specified by the local rider) for alternate shifts as well as alternate shifts in other area facilities. Most often, these lists were used to fill last minute needs, but sometimes they were used for advanced planning in creating staffing needs/start times/etc. Here an employee has become obligated to perform extra work once he/she has AGREED to come in.

I also agree the warning letter's justified.

The company can get over it.

I still disagree, primarily based on the language on how its done in my area. If someone signs a double list/extra work list and, after being called in to work, cannot do so 3x in 30 days they can be removed from the list for the same time period. That would effectively knock a PT'er out of working doubles the entirety of peak season. Granted, management typically doesn't follow through with this, but they have every contractual right to do so.

That being said, verbally communicating to a supervisor that you plan to work an extra shift and then not showing up is a :censored2:ty thing to do and shafts a junior union member out of working more hours. Additionally, the OP's hub had employees volunteer for these sorts electronically, which I've never heard of and is a terrible idea in general. Had the management at OP's hub verbally communicated with each employee, he could have gotten a cell phone/call-in number in case of inclement weather; as it was, he was already late (his fault) but there was snow/sleet falling outside (not his fault).

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
The company can get over it.
I still disagree, primarily based on the language on how its done in my area. If someone signs a double list/extra work list and, after being called in to work, cannot do so 3x in 30 days they can be removed from the list for the same time period. That would effectively knock a PT'er out of working doubles the entirety of peak season. Granted, management typically doesn't follow through with this, but they have every contractual right to do so.
That being said, verbally communicating to a supervisor that you plan to work an extra shift and then not showing up is a ty thing to do and shafts a junior union member out of working more hours. Additionally, the OP's hub had employees volunteer for these sorts electronically, which I've never heard of and is a terrible idea in general. Had the management at OP's hub verbally communicated with each employee, he could have gotten a cell phone/call-in number in case of inclement weather; as it was, he was already late (his fault) but there was snow/sleet falling outside (not his fault).

The OP likely works in Louisville, where double-shifting is an everyday thing and thus special procedures have been added to assist/automate planning. It appears Louisville employees may select specific shifts which are in need of additional labor, and receive confirmation if they're needed. I'm guessing that the OP has the option of removing his/her name at anytime up until the start of the sort, but he didn't, thus the warning letter. I believe the warning letter is justified, although if the contact information isn't readily available, the OP should grieve it. My facility has a central switchboard but it often goes unmanned, thus making it difficult to call in/late, so I understand that frustration.

Locals set the procedure for extra work. Within mine, each building is to maintain a list of employees (updated monthly) interested in extra work; if you're driver-qualified, you indicate so. It's a blanket list covering any and all extra work. However... management rarely updates the list -- the current one posted is from several months ago -- and usually calls in whoever it desires, insisting they know that person's trained to do the work (even though they don't know if others are). I've grieved this several times, since it costs me $$$$$$$$$, but all it does is pee off management and other houries.

We have one PTer (management favorite) with just 3 years seniority pulling the same ground split EVERY DAY at the top ground wage for about 7-8 months per year. I've grieved it twice, get a ton of ship from management, and listen to my BA tell me "past precident." I'm actually considering withdrawing from the union over this.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
A little off topic, but I still believe every kid out of HS needs obligatory military service for a number of reasons. Most won't agree, but there are so many good lessons to be learned, plus you serve your country. The military helps one develop personal responsibility.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I just pointed out that both of you were wrong

The only way you pointed out that we were wrong was by clicking "disagree" on our posts. You did not provide a rebuttal, which I'm eager to hear. Telling a CPA, and somebody who will shortly be a CPA, that they're wrong based on your gut is literally one of the dumbest things ever posted on here.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
The only way you pointed out that we were wrong was by clicking "disagree" on our posts. You did not provide a rebuttal, which I'm eager to hear. Telling a CPA, and somebody who will shortly be a CPA, that they're wrong based on your gut is literally one of the dumbest things ever posted on here.

Apparently you can tell people they're wrong, even when they've provided a factual rebuttal, and merely retort to hitting the disagree button as the sole means to prove yourself.

One of UPS's finest!!!!

gingerkat

Word Bagels! Now I know why you're so good with tax and numbers … you're so going to hate tax deadlines - you'll wish for peak - haha!

Some people just like to scream "you're wrong" but never can back it up. I thought others on this forum liked to abuse thumbs down, etc., but this A Hat (wait, initial + word is illegal usage, right?) makes Dave seem gentle - lol. It makes me laugh when some just can't admit they don't know everything. I wish I knew everything!

It's been a while since I sat for the exams, so I'm not sure what the rules are anymore. My suggestion is to try sitting for two parts at a time because studying & trying to pass all four is crazy! I would also suggest finding a middle market firm vs. big 4. Most middle markets will give you training in many different types of accounting and when you move on you can find your specialty. I have to admit I loved SOX, but it required so much travel that I didn't spend too much time in it.

Good luck!

RolloTony Brown Town

Absent/No Call is a dick move every time and most certainly screws someone over, EVEN if it was an extra/double shift that he signed up for. He put his name on the list, management pulled the list and staffed themselves with the employees who signed up based on seniority. I could see a supervisor trying to pursue discipline for it, but I don't agree with it and wouldn't personally go after discipline for missing a shift an employee of mine signed up for. The snow is no excuse. Even if you show up late you should shovel yourself out and get in there.

oldngray

nowhere special
I never heard of anyone who loved SOX.

Indecisi0n loves SOX

0007socks.gif

Catatonic

Nine Lives
A little off topic, but I still believe every kid out of HS needs obligatory military service for a number of reasons. Most won't agree, but there are so many good lessons to be learned, plus you serve your country. The military helps one develop personal responsibility.

And the willingness to comply with any order given by a person of authority.

You are right ... I don't agree.

I will agree that joining the military would be a very good thing for at least 1/2 of the population.

Now answer this - you think that would be male or male and female?

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
So let me see if I have this right...the guy that pulled a dick move and didn't show up after committing to be there and made management and fellow employees scramble to pick up the loss shouldn't be punished. This is why I wish Karma was absolute sometimes. If he was in the military he'd get a pillow case soap party. He admitted to waking up late...but didn't know the number to the area he was working in...which is a piss poor excuse since he could have called any other area in the building he knew to tell someone to CHA. He's culpable.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
So let me see if I have this right...the guy that pulled a dick move and didn't show up after committing to be there and made management and fellow employees scramble to pick up the loss shouldn't be punished. This is why I wish Karma was absolute sometimes. If he was in the military he'd get a pillow case soap party. He admitted to waking up late...but didn't know the number to the area he was working in...which is a piss poor excuse since he could have called any other area in the building he knew to tell someone to CHA. He's culpable.

If he was in the military, his unit/squad mates would be punished as him not being prepared could get them killed in the field.

Good thing he works for UPS and it's all just cardboard. Seriously, wishing ill will on someone for missing an extra shift? C'mon man.