no call no show

Ouch

[quite="UpstateNYUPSer, post: 1238996, member: 12570"]So you are OK with the OP signing up to work an extra shift and them blowing them off?[/quote]
Is It better to blow them off or just blow them.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
If he was in the military, his unit/squad mates would be punished as him not being prepared could get them killed in the field.

Good thing he works for UPS and it's all just cardboard. Seriously, wishing ill will on someone for missing an extra shift? C'mon man.
I don't wish ill will on him Pied...I wish he would get the natural consequences for his actions. When a doubler doesn't show up where I'm at and they can't get a replacement, then either management works or others pick up the slack. I'm shocked at the amount of people defending someone who could have called any switchboard or area to at least cover his ass, but instead he just went back to bed. I'm not saying he's a pile of crap and I'm not saying that I wish him harm, but there's gotta be consequences or it'll become a regular thing.

sortaisle

I personally don't believe this is his first infraction. His attitude points towards this not being the first time he's been late or missed a shift. If this is the first time then yes, a warning letter is a touch harsh, if not then he got what he earned.

Nimnim

The Nim
I don't wish ill will on him Pied...I wish he would get the natural consequences for his actions. When a doubler doesn't show up where I'm at and they can't get a replacement, then either management works or others pick up the slack. I'm shocked at the amount of people defending someone who could have called any switchboard or area to at least cover his ass, but instead he just went back to bed. I'm not saying he's a pile of crap and I'm not saying that I wish him harm, but there's gotta be consequences or it'll become a regular thing.

Actually in my area, calling in less than an hour before the sort results in a "no call" so if they woke up after the sort started they'd still have been given a "no call" if they called in then. Personally I don't agree with that language because the point of "no call" is you didn't call not you called in too late for them to have time to adjust, but it's in the contract.

As I said before past practice in my area doesn't support a warning letter, but I can understand some discipline, maybe a write up or verbal warning and not being selected next time around.

sortaisle

A warning letter off the bat is a little harsh. In the grand scheme of things though it's not going to matter in 9 months anyway when it falls off the record.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
And the willingness to comply with any order given by a person of authority.

You are right ... I don't agree.

I will agree that joining the military would be a very good thing for at least 1/2 of the population.

Now answer this - you think that would be male or male and female?

Apparently, since you probably didn't serve your country, Hoaxster, you don't have a good, solid grasp of what I am talking about. There are some basic assumptions you need to understand, such as the "order" was lawful, necessary and meant to achieve some objective.
I don't get the gender distinction. Do you think there is a difference between male and female with regards to learning?
If your question is whether I think both male and female should serve, my comment didn't differentiate, so assume I meant both sexes.
What would the other half do while 1/2 the kids served their country?

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Personal responsibility; that's all there is to it.
Regardless of what the contract says or the perceived necessity by the OP.
You sign up, you show (assuming you aren't dead, honestly sick, or some other understandable issue). Period