No cellphones in cab?

brett636

I can't talk on my phone while driving because the inside of my cab is too loud, but everyday on the way out to area, I am passed by younger UPS drivers yakking away on theirs. I guess their hearing is better than mine.

It depends on the truck for me. In some of the older diesel trucks I cannot hear my little radio shack radio very well, but it sounds great in the new trucks. Especially the newer gas trucks. I imagine the same is true for cell phones.

brett636

i drank my own urine once.by mistake. Thought is was my coffee. I know i'm not alone on this one.
erm-ah.gifeeek.gifneat.gif
erm-ah.gif
neat.gif
eeek.gif

tieguy

Banned
Come on Tie... Murder is illegal in every state. Isn't it. Cell phone use while driving without a headset is illegal in some states. Thats why it is stated such in the contract.

Still the same point. murder is not listed in the contract either.

The point again I could care less what is in the contract at this point. That language protects you so you don't get fired for driving down the road using your cell phone.

I'm taking this discussion to a higher plane. Cell phone usage leads to distracted driving. Distracted driving leads to people getting hurt. Pick and choose your moments when its safe to use so you are not a hazard to others.

If you use the cell phone and you allow yourself to be distracted and you kill someone then there is language in the contract that applies to your actions.

tieguy

Banned
Thanks for that back up bumped.

Now I know why some have 10,000 post. At first I just LMAO. Typical management. Yes, where I live murder is illegal and one of the 10 commandments. Guess Teamsters and UPS thought that one was covered. That one, tieguy, is pretty clear it's a no, no.

And I don't know why they didn't either. I think my point has been made.

It has . You could care less about public safety because its not spelled out in the contract.:happy-very:

whiskey

Did you realize it right away, or did you just think the coffee tasted like piss that morning?
In 1961 my Dad called me into the house. I had been playing outside. It was Ted Williams last at bat, in which he hit a home run. I remember everything about the moment in intricate detail.
It was sort of like that.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Yes, on sup drive alongs.
All your drinks and food in the back, no cellphone usage, either. Diad only in the diad holder, and never to be used while driving.

Some sups allowed me to drink fluids while driving (most of them actually),

Was it
A: Miller light,
B: MGD,
C: Molson ice,
D: All the above.

What food did you prefer, Peanuts or Pretzels?

but my last one didn't. She was a bigshot Saftey Advisor from Toronto.
Was she the one who fired you?

LoL, sorry man, I just had to.

Backlasher

Did you realize it right away, or did you just think the coffee tasted like piss that morning?

Originally Posted by whiskey
I drank my own urine once.By mistake. Thought is was my coffee. I know I'm not alone on this one.

If you liked the coffee then you gotta try the yellow snow:funny:.

BrownArmy

I drank my own urine once.By mistake. Thought is was my coffee. I know I'm not alone on this one.

That sounds like a thing a person would only ever do once.

Like the first recorded woman to go over Niagara falls in a barrel...packed with pillows, a mattress, and an anvil for ballast...

She reportedly told onlookers after they fished her bruised, dumb-***** out of the waters, "No one ought ever do that again".

satellitedriver

That sounds like a thing a person would only ever do once.

Like the first recorded woman to go over Niagara falls in a barrel...packed with pillows, a mattress, and an anvil for ballast...

She reportedly told onlookers after they fished her bruised, dumb-***** out of the waters, "No one ought ever do that again".

And look at how many people tried to improve upon her stupidity and repeat the stunt.
Forrest Gump's mother's quote was dead on;
"Stupid is, as stupid does."

Backlasher

See and this again sounds like we're copping an attitude with management and blaming them for trying to make us safer. you can keep the cell phone in your lunch bag or bag and return the call when you're safely stopped.

Try to keep the us versus them out of it when we're talking about safety and look at what we're trying to accomplish.

Okay, I've been on call for close to a year now.

So example. I get called in to do EAMs (they start at 530am) but I'm giving a start time of 610am cause I'm picking up the ad on's that they can't pull off and spread threw 5 zip codes.

It takes 25 min. from center to airport so I clock in 610am, find truck, do pretrip 615am, arrive at 640am. I'll get 3-5 calls before I even get to airhub from EAM Manager. I'm driving the whole time on freeway.

Manager knows What time I was given. Manager knows what time I'll get there.
And even if I don't answer the celly, she still keeps calling making sure I'm going to help them with eams from another center before i run for my own center.
I jump between both centers just to get work and I get calls from one center while I work for another about all kinds of stuff like whats your area whats your eta, can you take stops off driver X . I'll deal with up to 5 managers in a 4 hour period in my part time center hopping career.

No I can't take driver x stops because his route is 150 miles from the area I'm in which by the way I'm driven for this center today not yours sorry.

Management, call us when you know we are not driving. Even if I ignore the call, it still distracts me when I'm getting called left and right.
All this every time they call me and I haven't even started my run yet.

Note: nothing against managers, I get along with mine and we respect each other but the cell calls from them get out of control.

The plan truth!!!!