No check for vacation

cronic5

I am an hourly unloader, working for UPS about a year and a half.

I told my full time supervisor I'd be taking my vacation two weeks in advance. Last week is when I took it. I didn't get my check the Friday beforehand like I am told I was supposed to by other hourly's.

My full time supervisor took his vacation the week after I told him about it, but I still let my coversuit know I would be on vacation the week after and asked him about my check. He told me I'd be getting it the week after. I didn't mind because I'd rather have a week with a check than a week without.

Yesterday (Friday) I went in and asked for my check, they didn't have it. I asked my full time and he went around looking for it, but couldn't find it. He said he'd put a stop pay on it and next day air a new one, so I should have it Monday or Tuesday.

I went home and checked on the UPSers website, and I didn't have a check listed at all for that week. Is that right? Would vacation checks show up? I am thinking I wont get a check at all which kinda makes me mad. Did the supervisor not put my time in for vacation? What course of action should I take?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I am an hourly unloader, working for UPS about a year and a half.

I told my full time supervisor I'd be taking my vacation two weeks in advance. Last week is when I took it. I didn't get my check the Friday beforehand like I am told I was supposed to by other hourly's.

My full time supervisor took his vacation the week after I told him about it, but I still let my coversuit know I would be on vacation the week after and asked him about my check. He told me I'd be getting it the week after. I didn't mind because I'd rather have a week with a check than a week without.

Yesterday (Friday) I went in and asked for my check, they didn't have it. I asked my full time and he went around looking for it, but couldn't find it. He said he'd put a stop pay on it and next day air a new one, so I should have it Monday or Tuesday.

I went home and checked on the UPSers website, and I didn't have a check listed at all for that week. Is that right? Would vacation checks show up? I am thinking I wont get a check at all which kinda makes me mad. Did the supervisor not put my time in for vacation? What course of action should I take?

File a grievance. the green check will be there pronto.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
It sounds to me like someone didn't put your vacation in the system. I didn't know that they still cut paper checks, I thought everybody had direct deposit by now. I'm so thankful I don't have to go to the bank any more.

UPSGUY72

In my building we put in for vacation in April for the year running May-April
Then two weeks before your vaction you get a vacation check.

It sounds like you do things different in your building or you missed putting in for vacation in April. Anyways you'll get your vacation check. It just has to go throught the system. Being such a new employee I would think you would have direct deposit.

I told my full time supervisor I'd be taking my vacation two weeks in advance

That was probably the problem...Sounds like they let you take a vacation without signing up during your sign up time.

cronic5

File a grievance. the green check will be there pronto.

I'll be sure to do that first thing Monday.

It sounds to me like someone didn't put your vacation in the system. I didn't know that they still cut paper checks, I thought everybody had direct deposit by now. I'm so thankful I don't have to go to the bank any more.

I don't have direct deposit for my own reasons, so I still get paper checks. A lot of people do in my building.

In my building we put in for vacation in April for the year running May-April
Then two weeks before your vaction you get a vacation check.

It sounds like you do things different in your building or you missed putting in for vacation in April. Anyways you'll get your vacation check. It just has to go throught the system. Being such a new employee I would think you would have direct deposit.

Here, you usually put in vacation two weeks in advance, get your check that Friday, and go on with your business. For some reason or another I didn't get mine. I assume they didn't put my vacation in.

I told my full time supervisor I'd be taking my vacation two weeks in advance

That was probably the problem...Sounds like they let you take a vacation without signing up during your sign up time.

What? Signing up? I have always been told as long as you let them know two weeks in advance you're fine.

UPSGUY72

How many people in your Building ? I find it hard to believe that everyone in your building can just give two notice that there going on vaction. The whole thing about signing up in april is becasue only so many people can go on vacation a any giving time. IT CALL PLANNING

Article 17

Wages for properly selected vacations, in all instances, will be paid to the employees no later than the
workday prior to their vacation. If the employee does not receive his/her vacation check, the Employer
will make all reasonable efforts to provide the check the following day including delivery by Saturday or
Next Day Air. Other shortages involving more than thirty dollars ($30.00) for full-time employees, and
fifteen dollars ($15.00) for part-time employees, will be corrected and the payment will be made
available to the employee at his/her reporting location on his/her second scheduled workday after
reporting the shortage. If the Employer fails to make the payment available on the employee’s second
scheduled workday and the shortage was the result of the Employer’s error, the employee will be paid an
additional amount equal to one-half (1/2) of his/her daily guarantee at his/her regular hourly rate for
every full pay period in which the shortage is not paid after the second (2nd) scheduled work day, until
corrected.

cronic5

How many people in your Building ? I find it hard to believe that everyone in your building can just give two notice that there going on vaction. The whole thing about signing up in april is becasue only so many people can go on vacation a any giving time. IT CALL PLANNING

Article 17

Wages for properly selected vacations, in all instances, will be paid to the employees no later than the
workday prior to their vacation. If the employee does not receive his/her vacation check, the Employer
will make all reasonable efforts to provide the check the following day including delivery by Saturday or
Next Day Air. Other shortages involving more than thirty dollars ($30.00) for full-time employees, and
fifteen dollars ($15.00) for part-time employees, will be corrected and the payment will be made
available to the employee at his/her reporting location on his/her second scheduled workday after
reporting the shortage. If the Employer fails to make the payment available on the employee’s second
scheduled workday and the shortage was the result of the Employer’s error, the employee will be paid an
additional amount equal to one-half (1/2) of his/her daily guarantee at his/her regular hourly rate for
every full pay period in which the shortage is not paid after the second (2nd) scheduled work day, until
corrected.

I can't accurately say how many, but it's the Mesquite hub, so quite a few people per shift.

I've always understood, been told my full time employees, and other hourly workers that just putting in a two weeks notice is more than enough to go on vacation. Of course you have to get approved, but I have never heard of anyone being denied a vacation as long as they gave two weeks notice.

bg7519

I don't know what shift you're on, but on twilight we bid vacations in December for the following year.

Regardless, you should be given a check in December for any remaining days.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I can't accurately say how many, but it's the Mesquite hub, so quite a few people per shift.

I've always understood, been told my full time employees, and other hourly workers that just putting in a two weeks notice is more than enough to go on vacation. Of course you have to get approved, but I have never heard of anyone being denied a vacation as long as they gave two weeks notice.

If you are at one year, then it is possible you were told that you could take the vacation and get the check ASAP. The weeks vaca entered your check, therefore you can use it before the vacation period rolls over.

This is a special case, though.

Your building and all buildings typically pick vacations at one time (ours is May 1st) and it goes by seniority, until the next year (May). I usually cannot tell my full time sup that I want to hold off on picking a week, or change my week, unless the economy is way down and/or the company agreed to it as well (another special circumstance)

cronic5

I am confused. I have never heard of anyone having a "set" vacation date. I confirmed all the details with my full time supervisor, part time, and coversuit. None of them said anything about not being able to take it. I have talked to other hourly's with 10+ years of seniority and they have all told me I should have received my check the Friday before my vacation.

Are full time employee's vacations different than part time employee's?

I suppose I'll just file a grievance, and try to get my vacation pay tacked onto this weeks check.

Theichii

File, they didn't get my vacation right this year either. Drove 159 days last year as a part time cover driver, but after 156 your supposed to get the vacation at the hours of a full time with the pay as a cover driver. well needless to say i got part time hours and pay. Filed a grievance and had my check with backpay in two days it was pretty nice

Dustyroads

I think they must do things differently down there in Texas, heck, it used to be a country all of its own. However, up here a couple of states north, everyone has to pick their vacations and place them on a schedule MONTHS and MONTHS in advance. In package cars, "winter vacations" have to be selected here by December 1st, and all remaining vacations for summer and fall must be selected in January.

Vacation selection, at least here in the Central States, is specifically addressed in the National Master agreement, I suggest that the poster of this thread look in their contract book to see the rules on vacation selection. One thing I can tell you with a comfortable degree of certainity, it doesn't just say tell your supervisor two weeks in advance if you want some vacation time.

Notcool

UPS did that to me one time. Told me to take my vacation a week earlier so I did and the next week I was initially scheduled I was not allowed to work WOW I was fuming