No comment!WTF

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
dunno, maybe cuz it might be the right thing to do...you know, pay someone a fair day's wages for a fair day's work?...but hey, who does the right thing anymore?...it's so out of style

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

dunno, maybe cuz it might be the right thing to do...you know, pay someone a fair day's wages for a fair day's work?...but hey, who does the right thing anymore?...it's so out of style

Define "fair".

As far as doing the right thing, I am going to blow my own horn here for a second. My preloader loads 3 pkg cars. This past Peak we all gave him a tip. The other two drivers each gave him $50 while I gave him $100. Yes, I knew what they were going to give him as we had talked about it before hand. The kid works hard and I felt he deserved $100. It also felt good to show up the other drivers. The tip has paid off ten-fold as he has stepped up his game big-time.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Let's say you are a contractor with 3 drivers each earning $15/hr who each work 2,000 hours per year. 3*15*2000=$90,000. Bump the hourly wage to $20/hr----3*20*2000=$120,000. "Doing the right thing" just cost you $30K---are you OK with that?

If I knew you were giving me a test I would not have started drinking....

MAKAVELI

Easy for a shill libertarian protected by the teamsters union contract to say.

Let's say you are a contractor with 3 drivers each earning $15/hr who each work 2,000 hours per year. 3*15*2000=$90,000. Bump the hourly wage to $20/hr----3*20*2000=$120,000. "Doing the right thing" just cost you $30K---are you OK with that?

Are you fuc king serious? Just 1 ups driver makes close to 120k with benefits.

El Morado Diablo

The definition of "fair" sure seems to change when it involves those with the most getting a smaller slice of the pie. Isn't this an example of what people around the country are asking themselves? I don't think rational people will argue the fact that corporate pay structures should look like a pyramid from the CEO to entry-level employees. The problem with America today is that the corporate pay structure looks more like giant telecommunication towers on the open prairie. Too many of them have opinions similar to the one you gave as an example. They don't have any shame when it comes to decreasing/eliminating benefits and demanding more from their employees so that they and the shareholders can reap all the rewards without ever taking a hit financially. I hope I live to see the day this "I got mine" mentality takes a turn in another direction.

MAKAVELI

Define "fair".

As far as doing the right thing, I am going to blow my own horn here for a second. My preloader loads 3 pkg cars. This past Peak we all gave him a tip. The other two drivers each gave him $50 while I gave him $100. Yes, I knew what they were going to give him as we had talked about it before hand. The kid works hard and I felt he deserved $100. It also felt good to show up the other drivers. The tip has paid off ten-fold as he has stepped up his game big-time.

Aw, what a nice gesture. As you can see what the effect more money has in motivating someone. Interesting concept, eh?

overflowed

In all my years at FedEx I have never seen a card much less a union representative. I live in a very anti labor state.
Show me the card and I will sign in a heartbeat. One lesson FedEx taught me over the years is the value of union representation.

I have never heard of or seen teamsters anywhere. Never.

thedownhillEXPRESS

I agree...
I truly believe Fred knows Fedex will be exposed for the half rate operation it has become if the media starts comparing/interviewing Fedex and or Fedex Ground "non" employees in the event of an IBT strike....\

Train wreck it will be......

overflowed

that's just the way internet trolls get their jollies. They get their kicks out of infiltrating groups in which they truly know nothing about, and endlessly espousing their "wisdom", constantly cajoling and belittling, making blanket statements and getting in their little digs and jabs in the hopes of getting under peoples' skin. There is just no end to them. I've just come to accept them as part of this "new world" (you know - that same world we've been told we must now embrace). They're also the same folks who write for Wikipedia.

Those who have never sat on our side of the fence will just never get it. They think we're a bunch of whiners who somehow have gotten what we so richly deserve. After all, we are the "underperforming" opco at FedEx - as though it's somehow our fault.

I noticed wiki is not updated. Here's a quote from the fedex ground page
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/friend/f4/Ambox_content.png
This article appears to be written like an advertisement. Please help improve it by rewriting promotional content from a neutral point of view and removing any inappropriate external links. (February 2013)