No DR Allowed Resi - RelNum?

XavierPA

On a route I cover occasionally there are a few resi stops designated No DR Allowed. The other day I was directed by dispatch to attempt a DR at one of these addresses because the consignee wasn't home to sign for their package but had called in to have it released. When I got to this stop I sheeted the package and hit the Deliver softkey where I got the "No DR Allowed" screen. One of the softkeys on this screen is "RelNum." I never tried any of the softkeys on this screen before until this day and happened to see that when RelNum was pressed I was given the standard list of release options. Once one was selected I was also able to stop complete without a signature.

The reason for this post is to ask some of the more experienced drivers if this is, I guess, permissible? In this case I was asked by dispatch to do it but what's to stop this from being done at any No DR Allowed resi stop? There are a few homes on this route that require a signature and the consignees tend to get agitated that they have to sign for every delivery.

ManInBrown

I wouldn't advise cover drivers to use it. On my bid route, I guess a few customers had some issues with not receiving packages before I got the route. Very nice area. Lot of money. I know that doesn't mean much because you never know who will file a BS claim on a package. But there was a cover who used to sit on the route before I got it. He was terrible. DR'ed everything at the mailbox. Typical runner gunner BS. Once I got on the route I DR all the house stops. Even the no DR customers. I haven't had a single problem with any of those customers. Again I would not advise cover drivers to do this. When you have your own route there is a little more discretion IMO. You can figure out pretty fast who the "problem" customers are.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
On a route I cover occasionally there are a few resi stops designated No DR Allowed. The other day I was directed by dispatch to attempt a DR at one of these addresses because the consignee wasn't home to sign for their package but had called in to have it released. When I got to this stop I sheeted the package and hit the Deliver softkey where I got the "No DR Allowed" screen. One of the softkeys on this screen is "RelNum." I never tried any of the softkeys on this screen before until this day and happened to see that when RelNum was pressed I was given the standard list of release options. Once one was selected I was also able to stop complete without a signature.

The reason for this post is to ask some of the more experienced drivers if this is, I guess, permissible? In this case I was asked by dispatch to do it but what's to stop this from being done at any No DR Allowed resi stop? There are a few homes on this route that require a signature and the consignees tend to get agitated that they have to sign for every delivery.

Mainly the release number option should only be used with shipper release packages. If something happens to those packages you incorrectly used it on you could be financially libel for them, or be discharged for falsifying records.

By The Book

Most no DR prompts usually come from a past claim on a pkg. I guess a driver could ask management to make that the normal practice at certain stops as well. If you ask your OMS about those addresses they prompt no DR you will usually find out why it's set up that way. It won't go away when that resident moves unless you do the legwork to get it removed....your OMS can do this.

billerz

It depends whether the stop is code 4 or not. If it's a code 4, I would not dr that as there was a claim made at that address. If it's a code 1 and it still shows no dr, there was a mistake made in the past in sheeting the package as business or resi, and you should dr that and clarify it as a resi.

By The Book

I may of mixed up my reply to what your post is about. I think your talking about the new commercial/residential stop designation where you don't DR to a commercial stop. When it first rolled out many obvious homes wouldn't let you DR them anymore. You basically left notes or used the REL number function to deliver the pkg. it still has those options to choose from you then hit 1 for resi and 2 for private residence.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Most no DR prompts usually come from a past claim on a pkg. I guess a driver could ask management to make that the normal practice at certain stops as well. If you ask your OMS about those addresses they prompt no DR you will usually find out why it's set up that way. It won't go away when that resident moves unless you do the legwork to get it removed....your OMS can do this.

You're talking about 2 different things.
It's not about claims in the OP's situation.

When it comes up at a residential house, it has to do with past shippers trying to dismiss the residential surcharge for that address.
They feel if a customer runs a business from their house, they should not be charged it.
The shippers are wrong, so UPS added another layer to verify that this is really a residential house.

As usual, UPS bungled this by releasing it during peak and causing service interruptions and distractions. When they do something right, they still don't do it right.

jaker

trolling
It depends whether the stop is code 4 or not. If it's a code 4, I would not dr that as there was a claim made at that address. If it's a code 1 and it still shows no dr, there was a mistake made in the past in sheeting the package as business or resi, and you should dr that and clarify it as a resi.
Drivers can't see if it's a code 4 or not and even if it's a code 1 you should still not DR it

jaker

trolling
You're talking about 2 different things.
It's not about claims in the OP's situation.

When it comes up at a residential house, it has to do with past shippers trying to dismiss the residential surcharge for that address.
They feel if a customer runs a business from their house, they should not be charged it.
The shippers are wrong, so UPS added another layer to verify that this is really a residential house.

As usual, UPS bungled this by releasing it during peak and causing service interruptions and distractions. When they do something right, they still don't do it right.
You are wrong also . There is the no DR screen because it needs a Sig , then there is no DR screen because the house put a claim on a high dollar amount and ups put it there

Both can be release by esig or real number

I have never seen a house get the no DR because of some shipping charges

oldngray

nowhere special
Exactly , I have a house that I just turned into a no DR because a gun scope came up missing and I know they got it

DR is at the discretion of the driver and you have the option of leaving it or not (other than shipper release but that is a different situation). Apparently too many of the newer drivers have a mindset of leaving everything even if they have to falsify records with release numbers to do so. Its almost as if they never want to get a signature or have a send again even if that is what would happen if they followed methods.

opey

as I understood it, that screen was for the resi/comm issue. we were told to use relnum to release. houses that have had claims are usually designated with a note on the stop that either pops up or is seen on the first screen of the stop, saying no DR. with the DR not allowed screen, you will almost always get a following screen asking if its a residence, business, multi usage, etc...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

ManinBrown is correct when he says that cover drivers should never do this unless they are directed to do so.

I have several addresses that are No DR and for the most part it was due to claims made by consignees who no longer live there. It is very hard to get the No DR removed once it has been put in place.

jaker

trolling
as I understood it, that screen was for the resi/comm issue. we were told to use relnum to release. houses that have had claims are usually designated with a note on the stop that either pops up or is seen on the first screen of the stop, saying no DR. with the DR not allowed screen, you will almost always get a following screen asking if its a residence, business, multi usage, etc...
That one you are talking about is right and new and deals with that issue and you can tell because of the questions it ask

jaker

trolling
ManinBrown is correct when he says that cover drivers should never do this unless they are directed to do so.

I have several addresses that are No DR and for the most part it was due to claims made by consignees who no longer live there. It is very hard to get the No DR removed once it has been put in place.
I just oms removed a whole bunch of them and there was some they couldn't remove because they was so old

But it is possible I took about 10 off

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

You must have a lazy/ineffective OMS. I never had a problem after people moved, nor did I have a problem getting addresses added to No DR.