No earbuds, blue tooth headphones...

Integrity

Binge Poster
There is sign posted in the facility that I was in today that said:

No Head Phones.jpg

No ear buds, blue tooth, headphones.

Leave these items in your car.

This is a very clear policy with a clear posting.

I observed a large percentage of the operations employees with ear buds, doing so in plain view of management employees.

Why would a company have a clear policy and post this policy with no real intention of having it carried out?

Integrity is concerned.

Do you know anything about the UPS Corporate Policy regarding the use of personal listening devices?

Sincerely,
I
No Head Phones.jpg

J

jibbs

I observed a large percentage of the operations employees with ear buds, doing so in plain view of management employees.

Why would a company have a clear policy and post this policy with no real intention of having it carried out?

Because they don't truly care about whether or not a person is listening to music, they care about being able to shift responsibility for any future, hypothetical incidents and/or accidents to the person(s) involved.

Also, it's pretty obviously a nepotism kind of thing. Some operations employees get called out or face consequences for violating the "No Cell Phones/iPods/headphones etc" seemingly instantly when they break the rule, while others are simply ignored day-in-and-day-out even though they're spending the whole shift yelling retarded lyrics out loud to nobody in particular while they handle their ****.

I can only see it as an insurance policy where, if something goes wrong (say, an accident inside the center), the blame can be shifted onto the employee for clearly violating one rule while slightly deviating from another. Theft as well... What better place to hide a stolen item than in plain sight disguised as personal property you carried in with yourself?

Well... there are admittedly better ways but I'm sure you get what I'm saying.

kingOFchester

Why does the milker get followed and written up for one safety infraction while the runner never gets followed even tho it is widely known that the runner breaks all the safety methods?

Why can management "fix" time cards and marry boards to hide a driver, but will write up a driver for sheeting a package as missed?

Why can management code someone out as safety when they are running bulk, but a driver gets a warning letter for driving off area to use restroom facilities?

Why is egress an issue when an audit is happening but every other day of the year it isn't even a thought?

So many questions and only one answer. $'s All in the name of money. They can get more work out of a guy using headphones then not allowing them. The signs are there to protect UPS. Just smoke and mirrors.

Indecisi0n

Just like every other rule, they turn a blind eye until you get hurt then they will use that rule against you for blame.

Ouch

Our contract states cell phone usage by state law guidlines. If the law says bluetooths are legal so there you have it. In the building I would refer to the contract, I know they dont like part timers to bring cell phones in. What they like and what is permitted is 2 different things. Depends on how you want to handle it.

J

jibbs

Our contract states cell phone usage by state law guidlines. If the law says bluetooths are legal so there you have it. In the building I would refer to the contract, I know they dont like part timers to bring cell phones in. What they like and what is permitted is 2 different things. Depends on how you want to handle it.

To prevent my combing the National Master Agreement with a fine-tooth comb and a magnifying glass, could you refer me to where exactly it says that?

(Not trying to be a smart ass, I just like to verify that I wouldn't be breaking a rule by doing something that I've been told is against the rules before I actually break a rule or not (that was a bitch to type out)).

[EDIT: Side note: why does this forum automatically censor words like **** and **** but leaves the five-lettered, typically offensive "bitch" intact? I mean, I'd prefer all of them were left uncensored but I'm kind of an all-or-nothing kind of guy... exceptions irritate me.]

UPSGUY72

View attachment 10153

Integrity is concerned.

Do you know anything about the UPS Corporate Policy regarding the use of personal listening devices?

Sincerely,
I

I really don't give a crap as long as they keep paying me $32. + hr and keep giving me raises I'm good to go.

I don't listen to a radio or have a ear piece or blue tooth if I get a phone call I wait to I pull over for the next stop and then answer the phone.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
To prevent my combing the National Master Agreement with a fine-tooth comb and a magnifying glass, could you refer me to where exactly it says that?

(Not trying to be a smart ass, I just like to verify that I wouldn't be breaking a rule by doing something that I've been told is against the rules before I actually break a rule or not (that was a bitch to type out)).

[EDIT: Side note: why does this forum automatically censor words like **** and **** but leaves the five-lettered, typically offensive "bitch" intact? I mean, I'd prefer all of them were left uncensored but I'm kind of an all-or-nothing kind of guy... exceptions irritate me.]

Article 18 sec 8, page 51 National Master.
It only refers to usage while driving a company vehicle.
All other employees will be at the discretion of the employer.

beentheredonethat

The loaders shouldn't use ear buds\headphones since they need to hear the scanners. The bluetooth is not allowed because in theory it could potentially impact the scanning systems (again this is mainly in the outbound areas of facility). The problem is that if you post a rule saying that stuff isn't allowed for certain employees and not the other.. Then people get upset. So it's easier to say no to everyone. As to being enforced, the unload\sort folks isnt really an issue and the supv has no "need" to enforce that rule.

Just Lurking

The loaders shouldn't use ear buds\headphones since they need to hear the scanners. The bluetooth is not allowed because in theory it could potentially impact the scanning systems (again this is mainly in the outbound areas of facility). The problem is that if you post a rule saying that stuff isn't allowed for certain employees and not the other.. Then people get upset. So it's easier to say no to everyone. As to being enforced, the unload\sort folks isnt really an issue and the supv has no "need" to enforce that rule.

I would really like UPS to tell someone that their bluetooth device is interfering with UPS bluetooth networks. All bluetooth devices pass the same FCC regulations. Since my bluetooth devices don't interfere with anyone else devices then it must be UPS bluetooth devices not within regulations. I wonder how the FCC would react to such a situation.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I would really like UPS to tell someone that their bluetooth device is interfering with UPS bluetooth networks. All bluetooth devices pass the same FCC regulations. Since my bluetooth devices don't interfere with anyone else devices then it must be UPS bluetooth devices not within regulations. I wonder how the FCC would react to such a situation.

Sounds like UPS uses the same POS tech department the airlines use. Probably pay a fortune for it too....

Tim.

Package Placement Expert
Under the new agreement, Art 18, Sec 4 - "Radios will be allowed in the package car. Such radios shall not inhibit the drivers view, nor shall they be unsecured." I have the Ryobi jobsite radio from Home Depot. I secure it middle of the dash with a thin bungee. Works great, picks up good reception and has a aux input for a ipod (i use a shuffle).
Ryobi 18-Volt One+ Battery Operated Radio-P741 at The Home Depot

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

View attachment 10153

Integrity is concerned.

Sincerely,
I
Oh dear God, Integrity is "concerned"....I'll alert Fox news. I have no idea what corporate policy is on personal listening devices. I listen to my ipod everyday while loading, no one says a word.

mixyo

Dispatcher
All the management people at my facility say PTers can't have cell phones, yet I see PTers with phones all the time (and no LP sticker!). How are they getting past security? My driver wanted me to have my phone with me in the facility to txt a quick status update before they came in, but that was shot down very quick. Driver didn't like that and gave FT sup an earful. The office for my center has no issues with writing temp property passes for me. Kind of a pain to do it on a daily basis though.

All the management people at my facility say PTers can't have cell phones, yet I see PTers with phones all the time (and no LP sticker!). How are they getting past security? My driver wanted me to have my phone with me in the facility to txt a quick status update before they came in, but that was shot down very quick. Driver didn't like that and gave FT sup an earful. The office for my center has no issues with writing temp property passes for me. Kind of a pain to do it on a daily basis though.
Tell that tool of a driver you aren't texting him any updates. That's the stupidest thing I've heard in a long long time. The nerve of these pre madonnas.