No Employee Shall Be Discharged!

Cole

I have just dealt with a case where our Div mngr lied his rear off to try and fire someone for dishonesty, but he has been busted, claiming a customer told him and a sup they didn't want one of our drivers in their place of business agin, so our investigation shows they blatantly lied as this customer has signed a statement saying he said no such thing, and he is very angry, and he is going to rattle some cages himself.

Our guy wasn't fired because of that, but that was the company's effort to make the situation worse but now it back fired, and we'll just let the chips fall where they may.

You have to have integrity to charge someone else with it!

browned out

Gps reduces misdel nodoubt about it.

If you are fired because of misdel it It

Is after a progresion of verbal and written warning notices , suspensions etc. More importantly it is based on facts (actual misdel) A judicial process. It takes a lot to get fired for misdel.

The driver fired improperly by gps probably would get his job back.

But why should he have to go thru a month or two of no pay and high stress for bad gps technolgy?

athena

Question for those that feel the GPS/new technology should not be used to fire an individual. Do you think that it should be used as a warning and prompt an investigation which then could lead to being fired?

Question for those pushing for the technology used as a reason to fire an individual. Why is it so important to be able to fire someone based only on the technology evidence?

tieguy

Banned
Question for those pushing for the technology used as a reason to fire an individual. Why is it so important to be able to fire someone based only on the technology evidence?

The folks who negotiated your contract are also the ones that fight the discharges. The fact they agreed to that language tells me they feel comfortable with its use. They will be the ones that have to fight any future discharges for dishonesty. They apparently did not have the same fears of using gps.

govols019

You smell that?
Absolutely but here we have people wondering if there might be a nail in the road... they don't actually see it.

Let me rephrase that...If you knew a certain road was littered with nails wouldn't you do your best to avoid that road?

That's our point. We've all seen how a center manager trying to make a name for himself will use any means necessary to fire a driver. I've always wondered if they put a picture of the drivers they fired up on their walls at home as some sort of trophy.

Cole

The folks who negotiated your contract are also the ones that fight the discharges. The fact they agreed to that language tells me they feel comfortable with its use. They will be the ones that have to fight any future discharges for dishonesty. They apparently did not have the same fears of using gps.

It wont be their jobs on the line! Do you think they would have allowed that language to be so vague if UPS didn't put $6bill in CS?

browned out

The panels usually are trade offs. Half of the people get fired and half get their jobs back. It's all give and take. The language will result in more firings. Hence UPS can take more advantage the longer progression, 60 day probationary period, etc. UPS is not stupid they are trying to line their pockets.

As stated many times here. The teamsters have sold us up the river and they will be voted out if this passes.

tieguy

Banned
The panels usually are trade offs. Half of the people get fired and half get their jobs back. It's all give and take. The language will result in more firings. Hence UPS can take more advantage the longer progression, 60 day probationary period, etc. UPS is not stupid they are trying to line their pockets.

As stated many times here. The teamsters have sold us up the river and they will be voted out if this passes.

false bravado here? shooting from the hip a bit? if the contract passes then that means a majority voted for the contract offer which means a majority of the voters supported their union leadership.

browned out

Correct but after a few years of the new language and increased firings.
I foresee the minions getting quite restless and some heads will roll.

If the contract turns out to be as awesome as promised.

I'll be leading the charge to get these folks reelected.

tieguy

Banned
Correct but after a few years of the new language and increased firings.
I foresee the minions getting quite restless and some heads will roll.

If the contract turns out to be as awesome as promised.

I'll be leading the charge to get these folks reelected.

I don't remember anyone saying it was an awesome contract. I think it does appear to be a legitimate effort to fix the pensions . Other then that it really appears to be an average contract with a few word changes here and there but nothing earthshaking. A no frills very few changes contract offer.

Damok

Let me rephrase that...If you knew a certain road was littered with nails wouldn't you do your best to avoid that road?

That's our point. We've all seen how a center manager trying to make a name for himself will use any means necessary to fire a driver. I've always wondered if they put a picture of the drivers they fired up on their walls at home as some sort of trophy.

I know what you're saying gov but that same person will use any means necessary no matter what the contract says or what language is in there. I try not to let what ifs get to me... I'd never leave the house if I put stock in that stuff. If something happens I deal with it. If someone abuses language then we deal with it. I just think that particular bit of language will have little if any effect on drivers who do their job.

govols019

You smell that?
I guess you'd just have to be a driver to understand. No offense meant.

Maybe I've just seen one too many headhunting center managers go after people that didn't deserve it and giving them one more gun in their firing arsenal worries me.

Mitty148

Maybe I've just seen one too many headhunting center managers go after people that didn't deserve it and giving them one more gun in their firing arsenal worries me.

thank you so much gov. thats what i was getting at for this thread. one more gun to use against us. i really love my job and go the extra mile for my customers. will i have to worry because i feel im doing good for this company for providing service that i feel thy have forgotten along the way? with competion the way it is, we the Put customer first back into our jobs!

Mitty148

thank you so much gov. thats what i was getting at for this thread. one more gun to use against us. i really love my job and go the extra mile for my customers. will i have to worry because i feel im doing good for this company for providing service that i feel thy have forgotten along the way? with competion the way it is, we the Put customer first back into our jobs!

sorry for the spelling getting tired LOL

Coldworld

60 months and counting
the gps language was most likely brought up by the union, not ups. There has been much concern about it and im sure the union has seen many issues in panel on gps so thats why it was added to contract. It is vague though, you cant be fired on the first offense, great, but what happens if an issue arises 2 months down the road on something totally different, what happens then. If you read the wording, if your doing a cardinal sin, like stealing time etc, it doesnt matter about gps...their going to try to fire you. So what else besides cardinal sins could they try to get you on....theres many, thats why so many are worried.The teamsters tried to put some language in there to help us, but maybe they made it worse.I wish that the cardinal sin language would be reworded. Everything makes sense and I agree with except for proven dishonesty....very vague...total bullsht. There has been issues with 1 minute of time here folks..does anyone see a problem with this. I have no problem with ups asking a driver why there was 30 minutes between a one pkg stop between 103 main street and another 1 pkg delivery to 111 main street, but when they are sweating 1 minute, thats when the problems have come from. Most of these micro minutes have been from observations, etc. This job takes time, the country is growing, more cars, more unstable people, were not in the 50's anymore when you can drive across a large town in 10 minutes, things take time....someone else said that ups is trying to fire as many as possible to not pay out as much, or to not let you reach retirement....sounds funny , but im not sure if thats totally off base. In the new contract there is a statement that says something like ups cannot "solicit any signatory local union to change pension plans, either by proposing such change during future negotiations of the national master agreement or by encouraging its employees to advocate withdrawal from participation in their current pension plan." This is good for 10 years after the master agreement is signed. What does this tell you, any guesses? Eventually, ups will want every person covered in any kind of union pension to be covered all under one agreement. This is comming people, like it or not. So for those in many of the other pensions, including mechanics, who make much more than the 3000, or 3500 ups /teamsters have agreed to in cs, everybody will be getting this, all in a ups pension only agreement. Ups will buy out of all other funds, healthy or not. THIS IS WHY EVERYONE IS TRIPPING OUT OVER

Coldworld

60 months and counting
cont.. BEING FIRED OVER GPS ETC. When everyone is in the same ups only pension, if you dont make it to retirement, get fired, etc, you are not going to be able to go get another teamster job and continue for the remainder of your 30 or 35 years....why hasnt anyone thought of this.So, if ups can use one more thing to can people, thats just more they dont have to pay out in retirement. Why do you think ups can give part-timers a pension and healthcare in retirement....because how many part-timers actually retire from this company... not very many, it would be very interesting to see how many have done so in the last 10 years. How many of you full timers with 25 or 30 years actually work with the same guys/gals you started with....??? Ups wants as few people to reach retirement as possible, part-time , full time AND MANAGEMENT. Why the hell do you think SO many folks have been fired.(yes, many get their jobs back but...)Why do you think the proven dishonesty language is so vague and weak, anything, if spun the right way could be proven dishonesty!)Some might think this is far fetched, and if so please tell me, but think about it.

Damok

None taken Bud :) I really do understand where you're coming from. I'm not a driver but the underlying idea you're talking about is universal. As I've said many times before in here... I want the same end result, generally, that most others here do - it's the just the methodology that we differ on.

* I dig your sig by the way*