No guarantee after December 31, 2012?

trickpony1

I've talked to several people who are adament that if you don't retire before December 31, 2012 that you will not be covered by this contract.
The dates of this contract are December 19, 2007 thru July 31, 2013 (as shown inside the front cover) BUT when the contract was "ratified" it was made clear the H, W and Pension was a five year guarantee.
Does anyone have the straight answer on this?
Some people on this forum fancy themselves as being knowledgeable on all things union but aren't necessarily so.
There are a number of your brothers and sisters who are concerned about this.
Thanks.

UPSGUY72

I've talked to several people who are adament that if you don't retire before December 31, 2012 that you will not be covered by this contract.
The dates of this contract are December 19, 2007 thru July 31, 2013 (as shown inside the front cover) BUT when the contract was "ratified" it was made clear the H, W and Pension was a five year guarantee.
Some people on this forum fancy themselves as being knowledgeable on all things union but aren't necessarily so.
Thanks.

The life of the Agreement is untill July 31, 2013.

If what you said was true then there would have to be mention of that in the contract and what happen after December 19, 2012. I can't find anything and the union wouldn't agree to that in the first place.

trickpony1

The life of the Agreement is untill July 31, 2013.

Really?
I know what the cover of our famous union contract book says.
I also know that there are a bunch of feeder drivers that are gonna bail out sometime after October (when they have their required 40 weeks [one year credit] of contributory time).
Some of you need to wake up. The union doesn't give a flip and can't seem to give a straight answer to any question.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Thanks.

Have you asked your local reps?
There are many supplements and pension funds.
The truth is in writing somewhere, find it.
I doubt you'll find it on this forum.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
In my building all of the old timers are being quizzed by management as to their retirement plans.
Speculation is running wild in many directions...

trickpony1

"There are many supplement and pension funds"
You're right. Good point. I should have been more specific.
I was refering to the Central States Pension fund. If you recall, the company gave CS 6 billion dollars to end it's involvement. I am now trying to find the precise date that involvement ends. If you will also recall, the contract was rammed down our throats early. Some people think it's July 31, 2013. Others think it is earlier.
Does that narrow it down for you?

I realize this isn't important unless it affects you.

JonFrum

"There are many supplement and pension funds"
You're right. Good point. I should have been more specific.
I was refering to the Central States Pension fund. If you recall, the company gave CS 6 billion dollars to end it's involvement. I am now trying to find the precise date that involvement ends. If you will also recall, the contract was rammed down our throats early. Some people think it's July 31, 2013. Others think it is earlier.
Does that narrow it down for you?

I realize this isn't important unless it affects you.
If I remember correctly, the armada of wheelbarrows carrying the 6,100,000,000 billion dollars arrived at Central States December 26, 2007. With that, UPS' obligation to fund the Central States Pension Fund ended.

Our Union Contract is a legal document and is in full effect until July 31, 2013, unless it is properly amended or a new Contract is properly ratified earlier.

badpal

If I remember correctly, the armada of wheelbarrows carrying the 6,100,000,000 billion dollars arrived at Central States December 26, 2007. With that, UPS' obligation to fund the Central States Pension Fund ended.

Our Union Contract is a legal document and is in full effect until July 31, 2013, unless it is properly amended or a new Contract is properly ratified earlier.
Well i wonder if more wheelbarrows are needed? If not in Central States somewhere else?

trickpony1

Central States covers, I think, 21 or 26 states.
I can't be the only person who may be retiring soon and is/should be concerned about the unknown that will occur after "July 31, 2013".
I'm afraid this thread will die an untimely death because we all trust in the company/union to provide a pension for us.

over9five

Staff member
There are several things you can read in the contract that are no longer true. Over 9.5 for cover drivers being one we've talked about.

Just sayin, call the pension office. What do they say?

trickpony1

Well that's your problem.... "Bet" that comes from feeders.

I thought.... I heard.... or Somebody told me.... and it's another feeder driver.

-Bug-

It seems all BUG can/has offered is vague anecdotes. Nothing specific, in writing, with references and/or links to verify.
I can't speak for all his ducklings but this duckling is quickly loosing faith/trust in someone who claims to be a "Big Union" guy.
I have called people at my local union office. They offer vague and obscure answers. Why should I call National and speak to someone with a strong Italian or Spanish accent that knows even less?
It suprises me that so many of you seem so flippant about your pension and future and, especially, when dealing with not one, but two organizations that have a long and known history of deceit and untruths.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I got "moderated" in this thread.... for telling the truth....

So now....

2rwsv7q.gif

-Bug-

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Central States covers, I think, 21 or 26 states.
I can't be the only person who may be retiring soon and is/should be concerned about the unknown that will occur after "July 31, 2013".
I'm afraid this thread will die an untimely death because we all trust in the company/union to provide a pension for us.

While I do feel fairly confident that there will be a pension there for me in 2019 I am also not foolish enough to rely on that as my only source of retirement income.

over9five

Staff member
While I do feel fairly confident that there will be a pension there for me in 2019 I am also not foolish enough to rely on that as my only source of retirement income.
I am not at all confident that there will be a pension then. So if there is, it will be a pleasant surprise.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am not at all confident that there will be a pension then. So if there is, it will be a pleasant surprise.

We had a Telematics crafts meeting this morning. There were 5 drivers who took the time to show up along with 12 PTers who were there as we were also discussing contract proposals. The BA gave us an update on our pension and it seems as though the pension fund rehabilitation plan that we approved and have diverted our split raises to is not working as well as expected and our plan is expected to be in the red through 2029. One of our contract proposals was to ask for more money for the pension from the company.

I am glad that I put all of the time and effort in to paying down all of my bills so that I can max out my 401k for my remaining 7 years.

over9five

Staff member
We had a Telematics crafts meeting this morning. There were 5 drivers who took the time to show up along with 12 PTers who were there as we were also discussing contract proposals. The BA gave us an update on our pension and it seems as though the pension fund rehabilitation plan that we approved and have diverted our split raises to is not working as well as expected and our plan is expected to be in the red through 2029. One of our contract proposals was to ask for more money for the pension from the company.

I am glad that I put all of the time and effort in to paying down all of my bills so that I can max out my 401k for my remaining 7 years.
Yup. Plan as if you have no pension coming and if you end up getting one, so much the better. That's my plan.