No hope?

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by whome, Jan 28, 2013.

1. whome

whome Member

Just reading the posts about contract updates it seems there's no hope at all for pt'ers? any i right? they want us to pay for health bennies? if so the pt job is worthless then!
  2. PiedmontSteward

PiedmontSteward RTW-4-Less

Where the hell are you getting that from?

We have some rather vocal (and misguided) members that seem to think that we should suffer a two-tier wage scheme for future FT drivers.

The main folks getting the shaft with insurance seem to be the retirees in the company plans right now. Forcing PT'ers or FT'ers to pay for health benefits out of pocket would be a strike issue. That's not coming from me, that's coming from someone on the negotiating team.

Any information you've receiving - other than those from the IBT's press releases on contract negotiations - is probably bull:censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:. There's an information blackout to prevent this very same sentiment you're expressing.
  3. LongTimeComing

LongTimeComing Air Ops Pro

PT'ers need better representation. Not enough PT'ers go to the meetings and negotiations and fight for what they need/want. You can't expect the FT'ers to do but so much for you. I would hope, though, that for UPS's own best interest, that they revisit the PTer pay structure, starting pay, and benefits if they want to produce better production results from these folks.
  4. PiedmontSteward

Source: UPS, UPS Freight Negotiations Recess With Progress | International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT)
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  5. whome

whome Member

Kinda of topic.hire date was 9/4/12 made senority,do I get to vote on the next contract?
  6. uber

uber Guest

7. Ms.PacMan

Ms.PacMan Well-Known Member

I think part timers will make out well this contract.

I also think that negotiating for more full-time positions instead of higher wages for part-timers in the last contract was absolutely the right thing to do at the time. In 2007 the economy was booming and you have to remember that the starting wages set forth in the contract are only minimums. The union probably thought that UPS would have to raise the starting part-time wage above the contract minimum to attract new hires in that upward economic environment. Why let UPS "give" them those increases in wages in return for something else when they might have to raise them outside the contract in a few years.

The bad news was that the economy didn't continue to prosper and we were thrown into a massive recession and unemployment. Those $8.50/hr jobs again looked good to people and UPS had no problem attracting new hires. Those wages suck eggs, but it was a tactical move that didn't go the union's way, unfortunately.
  8. PiedmontSteward

Find out when/where your union meeting is held and start going, as well. Your contract vote ballot will be mailed to you - make sure your local union has your correct address on file.
  9. BrownBlue

BrownBlue New Jack

Only members in good standing can vote. If you are in Right to Mooch state, and not a member, you do not get to vote.
  10. packageguy

packageguy Well-Known Member

Stop listening to rumors, and wait and see what happens.... Your going to be hearing a lot of things, Be patient....
  11. PT Stewie

PT Stewie "Big Fella"

I have to listen to these rumours every night and and I always answer the same way "Bull Sh t" . When hall comes back with the proposed contract that the IBT leadership approves of it will be time to exercise your vote . That will be real.Then make sure you are heard ,VOTE .Until then work as directed and pray for a good contract.
  12. Thebrownstreak

Thebrownstreak Active Member

Whatever you NO on the first proposal that they come back with.
  13. stink219

stink219 Well-Known Member

Excellent post!! I love how we hear of these rumors of wages, 2 tier, benefits, etc, when the economic issues will be addressed in March!
  14. island1fox

island1fox Well-Known Member

Hard to follow your thought process --if any.

After months of Negotiations with many customers on the edge ---hall presents a solid contract in a piss poor economy ---You advise everyone to vote NO,

Push the customers off the edge into the arms of NON-UNION Fed x.

With the lost volume --ups lowers their final offer ---Of course you believe that could NEVER happen in the REAL world.

Shows how much you stand behind and believe in the Negotiating Committee.:sad-little:
  15. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

We were originally told economic issues would be addressed in January. I think ups knows public opinion is not on unions side right now and are going to push back hard. All the public will ever hear is ups drivers make 80,90,100k sometimes. Not that actually base pay for us is more like 65K all the rest of that is all the over time we make.
  16. stink219

stink219 Well-Known Member

Public opinion will not be on our side. That should say something right there. That why we can't cry poverty. Deplorable working conditions and harassment might lend a different opinion. You are right about the January Eco time frame. But UPS was dragging feet by not seeing "harassment being an issue". So Mr. hall walked from the table as he should.
  17. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Don't know if its everywhere else but here no one over 9.5 is the big push right now. Putting in extra routes sending help when needed. Not sure if this is flavor of the month or a tactic that people have short memories. Give them light days and treat them good for a few months before the contract so some will think we have changed and vote yes.
  18. packageguy

packageguy Well-Known Member

out by us, nothing changed still out 11-12 hours