No hope?

whome

Just reading the posts about contract updates it seems there's no hope at all for pt'ers? any i right? they want us to pay for health bennies? if so the pt job is worthless then!

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Just reading the posts about contract updates it seems there's no hope at all for pt'ers? any i right? they want us to pay for health bennies? if so the pt job is worthless then!

Where the hell are you getting that from?

We have some rather vocal (and misguided) members that seem to think that we should suffer a two-tier wage scheme for future FT drivers.

The main folks getting the shaft with insurance seem to be the retirees in the company plans right now. Forcing PT'ers or FT'ers to pay for health benefits out of pocket would be a strike issue. That's not coming from me, that's coming from someone on the negotiating team.

Any information you've receiving - other than those from the IBT's press releases on contract negotiations - is probably bull****. There's an information blackout to prevent this very same sentiment you're expressing.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
PT'ers need better representation. Not enough PT'ers go to the meetings and negotiations and fight for what they need/want. You can't expect the FT'ers to do but so much for you. I would hope, though, that for UPS's own best interest, that they revisit the PTer pay structure, starting pay, and benefits if they want to produce better production results from these folks.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
UPS, UPS Freight Negotiations Recess With Progress

January 17, 2013 Two weeks of negotiations with UPS and UPS Freight wrapped up on Jan. 17 in Washington with progress made on both the UPS and UPS Freight contracts, said General Secretary-Treasurer Ken Hall, Package Division Director.
In UPS Freight negotiations, the UPS Freight National Negotiating Committee has been making steady progress. The Committee addressed seniority and work week issues, as well as protections for medically disqualified drivers.
In UPS negotiations, progress was made on 9.5 language, military leave and stewards’ rights. The UPS National Negotiating Committee began tackling the issue of SurePost, including redirecting more packages to Teamster drivers.
"On the issue of health care, I reiterated that we will fight UPS' outrageous plan to dramatically increase the cost of health care for retirees in company plans," Hall said. "We will not allow the company put the entire burden of health care on the backs of the retirees who made the company what it is today."
UPS has continually complained about health care costs at the bargaining table. Unfortunately, we expect UPS negotiators to propose that Teamsters pay a substantial portion of their monthly premiums for health insurance. We will fight any attempt by the company to raise the cost of health care for actives.
Negotiations for both UPS and UPS Freight are scheduled to resume Jan. 28 in Dallas.

Source: UPS, UPS Freight Negotiations Recess With Progress | International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT)

Last edited:

Ms.PacMan

I think part timers will make out well this contract.

I also think that negotiating for more full-time positions instead of higher wages for part-timers in the last contract was absolutely the right thing to do at the time. In 2007 the economy was booming and you have to remember that the starting wages set forth in the contract are only minimums. The union probably thought that UPS would have to raise the starting part-time wage above the contract minimum to attract new hires in that upward economic environment. Why let UPS "give" them those increases in wages in return for something else when they might have to raise them outside the contract in a few years.

The bad news was that the economy didn't continue to prosper and we were thrown into a massive recession and unemployment. Those $8.50/hr jobs again looked good to people and UPS had no problem attracting new hires. Those wages suck eggs, but it was a tactical move that didn't go the union's way, unfortunately.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Kinda of topic.hire date was 9/4/12 made senority,do I get to vote on the next contract?

Find out when/where your union meeting is held and start going, as well. Your contract vote ballot will be mailed to you - make sure your local union has your correct address on file.

packageguy

Stop listening to rumors, and wait and see what happens.... Your going to be hearing a lot of things, Be patient....

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I have to listen to these rumours every night and and I always answer the same way "Bull Sh t" . When hall comes back with the proposed contract that the IBT leadership approves of it will be time to exercise your vote . That will be real.Then make sure you are heard ,VOTE .Until then work as directed and pray for a good contract.

stink219

I have to listen to these rumours every night and and I always answer the same way "Bull Sh t" . When hall comes back with the proposed contract that the IBT leadership approves of it will be time to exercise your vote . That will be real.Then make sure you are heard ,VOTE .Until then work as directed and pray for a good contract.
Excellent post!! I love how we hear of these rumors of wages, 2 tier, benefits, etc, when the economic issues will be addressed in March!

island1fox

Whatever you do....vote NO on the first proposal that they come back with.

BS

Hard to follow your thought process --if any.

After months of Negotiations with many customers on the edge ---Hall presents a solid contract in a piss poor economy ---You advise everyone to vote NO,

Push the customers off the edge into the arms of NON-UNION Fed x.

With the lost volume --ups lowers their final offer ---Of course you believe that could NEVER happen in the REAL world.

Shows how much you stand behind and believe in the Negotiating Committee.:sad-little:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Excellent post!! I love how we hear of these rumors of wages, 2 tier, benefits, etc, when the economic issues will be addressed in March!

We were originally told economic issues would be addressed in January. I think ups knows public opinion is not on unions side right now and are going to push back hard. All the public will ever hear is ups drivers make 80,90,100k sometimes. Not that actually base pay for us is more like 65K all the rest of that is all the over time we make.

stink219

We were originally told economic issues would be addressed in January. I think ups knows public opinion is not on unions side right now and are going to push back hard. All the public will ever hear is ups drivers make 80,90,100k sometimes. Not that actually base pay for us is more like 65K all the rest of that is all the over time we make.
Public opinion will not be on our side. That should say something right there. That why we can't cry poverty. Deplorable working conditions and harassment might lend a different opinion. You are right about the January Eco time frame. But UPS was dragging feet by not seeing "harassment being an issue". So Mr. Hall walked from the table as he should.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Don't know if its everywhere else but here no one over 9.5 is the big push right now. Putting in extra routes sending help when needed. Not sure if this is flavor of the month or a tactic that people have short memories. Give them light days and treat them good for a few months before the contract so some will think we have changed and vote yes.