No insurance till 55 when you retire

What'dyabringmetoday???

Extremely early retirement unless you have 5 million or more put away.
I retired from UPS at 58 but I had other jobs lined up.
The common expected age at retirement is 65 - 70 and only then if you want to.
Must be high rent where you live. I know a man that retired at age 43 with much less than 5 million. His widow is still enjoying retirement 27 years later.

stink219

ohiobrownman19, I'm with you. I have a similar question posted over on the retirement board---have inquired to both HR and my BA and have gotten non-answers that basically just run a circle around my question. Until I can see it IN WRITING I know not to assume anything. Heck, even in writing I'm still going to doubt the validity of the answer at this point.
Do you guys see a trend with the fact that information is so hard to come by with this TA? It's like this TA is a secret and the IBT can't tell anybody about it or it will get ruined.
Only trend I see is you!

balland chain

Extremely early retirement unless you have 5 million or more put away.
I retired from UPS at 58 but I had other jobs lined up.
The common expected age at retirement is 65 - 70 and only then if you want to.

I was planning on leaving this year at age 50.. Dont think that is going to happen.. Hell, my Grandfather retired from IBM in 1965 after 25 years with the company.. He was 51.. My grandparents then joined the Peace Corps and served two tours.. Then just did a lot of traveling and volunteer work.. I can not imagine working until I am in my 60's... I don't think waiting until you are 65-70 is a normal retirement age... just my opinion..

Ms.PacMan

The pension plan and retiree insurance plan are separate.

It looks as though the benefits in the pension plan (25 and 30 and out any age, no work restrictions) are being nullified by the new insurance plan that doesn't offer benefits until age 55 and comes with the same old work restrictions.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I know a retiree who was teaching safe driving at a driving school, so I'm thinking those restrictions aren't quite as restrictive as they seem.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I was planning on leaving this year at age 50.. Dont think that is going to happen.. Hell, my Grandfather retired from IBM in 1965 after 25 years with the company.. He was 51.. My grandparents then joined the Peace Corps and served two tours.. Then just did a lot of traveling and volunteer work.. I can not imagine working until I am in my 60's... I don't think waiting until you are 65-70 is a normal retirement age... just my opinion..

Early retirement (not working at all) at age 55 has turned into a relic of the past.
There was a period of time when some people were retiring at this early age but that time has past.

Subscribe to AARP and do some reading ... the average retirement age is creeping back closer to that 65 years old.
Many will live into their late eighties and nineties and the numbers are just supportive of early retirement.

The good thing is that one can't quit working at a place like UPS and work somewhere else to supplement their income until they reach Soc Sec age.

tejano408

our BA told us that after you retire when you hit 65 ups will not be offering health benefits, if it passes. here in north cal retirees pay $50 a month but under the new TA then you have the IBT which starting 1-1-14 anyone who retires will pay $150 a month and by 2016 it will be $300 a month so that why we are pushing for a NO Vote

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

our BA told us that after you retire when you hit 65 ups will not be offering health benefits, if it passes. here in north cal retirees pay $50 a month but under the new TA then you have the IBT which starting 1-1-14 anyone who retires will pay $150 a month and by 2016 it will be $300 a month so that why we are pushing for a NO Vote

The company and union both stop insurance coverage when the retiree turns 65. This is standard for most major corporations. Why would they pay when the government starts paying (Medicare)?

You need to stop spreading this misinformation and disinformation.

twoweeled

What the above might be referring too, is the change in the new proposal. Another of the changes we are not being told about (unless you ask), Is you will NOT be eligible for medical insurance under pier 80, unless you are older than a certain age. This question was asked and answered my our Secretary Tres. He did indeed confirm there is an age limit. I don't recall the age being 55. I thought if was 52 or 53, but not I'm not sure. I am sure there is no longer the Pier 80 early retirement with benifits like it use to be! We are ALL in for some surprises when this thing passes. Central States, that includes you!

twoweeled

When you consider this additional change to our contract, you have to wonder - why on earth would the international agree to this? And worse than that, not tell us about it? I suspect Hoffa and staff are planning on retiring well after this contract. It is amazing. The company has just written a dream contract. And it has a strong possibility of passing. Why? Because the international has succeded in dividing us. I totally understand the Central States looking after their own welfare. I totally understand the active employees saying screw the retirees health plan, we aren't paying! But next time around, it's going to be the Central states who takes the big one! "We gave you this and that, last contract Central states, it's only fair we take care of....". "Well active employess, last contract, the retirees starting paying a lot more for health benefits, don't you think it's fair that you started paying now too?"
Can't you all just hear this coming from our international next contract?? We are all getting screwed NOW or LATER! And It's all do to us being divided! The most important thing after this, will be to dump the current administrations. I am just fed up and pissed at what is, and has taken place. This is the total opposite of what, UNION is all about!!!
PS. By the way Central States, your part of the agreement is not that good either! It's just relative to what is being done to the Western states, you tend to feel better. You should have been trying to get the Western states medical plan.

twoweeled

ohiobrownman19, I'm with you. I have a similar question posted over on the retirement board---have inquired to both HR and my BA and have gotten non-answers that basically just run a circle around my question. Until I can see it IN WRITING I know not to assume anything. Heck, even in writing I'm still going to doubt the validity of the answer at this point.

This was asked of our secretary treasurer, and he did confirm the 80 and out with full benefits is not the case in the new proposal. I just can't remember the age. I think it's questionable if you'd be able to get the medical when you reached the age. Ask someone who is retired. Getting the medical ingaged, is a "take exactly the right steps" because they are hoping to cut you out. Once your out, your out!

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
The company and union both stop insurance coverage when the retiree turns 65. This is standard for most major corporations. Why would they pay when the government starts paying (Medicare)?

You need to stop spreading this misinformation and disinformation.

Actually, you might take your own advice. We've had post 65 coverage for 35 years in the West and $.50 of the H&W contribution is being diverted to maintain that under C6 Enhanced. It's secondary post 65 coverage.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Is the coverage a Medicare supplement plan?

Right now you go through Medicare and whatever they don't pay you submit to Aetna and they make up the difference. I guess that is sort of the same thing except (right now) they are only paying $50/mo for the exact same coverage our friend/T employees have now.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Right now you go through Medicare and whatever they don't pay you submit to Aetna and they make up the difference. I guess that is sort of the same thing except (right now) they are only paying $50/mo for the exact same coverage our friend/T employees have now.

That is fantastic coverage.
I've never heard of this in UPS or outside UPS for that matter. Everyone I know over 64 complains about their cost going up under Medicare and they have to purchase supplemental coverage.
Is this a UPS plan or a Teamster plan?