No longer guaranteed 8 hours of pay

UPSGUY72

In my building the day after thanksgiving, day before xmass and day before new years this year were hours work days 05 unless you specifically requested 8 hours.

Also If we are done early with are routes on a normal day they don't give anyone a hard time for punching out before there 8 hours. I always get my guaranteed 8 when I'm working if I punch out early there is another line on my pay stub that says guaranteed.

over9five

Staff member
I would think that if nobody asked you if you wanted to code 5, then you are guaranteed 8. As the previous poster said, you get your 8 other times in the year if you punch out a little early.

Have everyone that wasn't asked sign a grievance.

Raw

Raw Member
Same thing happened in my center and I was at first a bit pissed off but the reality is center manager said he would want everyone off early for Xmas if possible which he meant a code 5 and enjoy the holiday if done at 1pm. At 1pm they saw I had most stops to go so they sent me help without me asking. I`m not going to battle for this one, they had good intentions even if it was because they wanted to go home early likewise! :happy-very:

Re-Raise

I asked a union steward about it, who told me he knew but since I was leaving the building I don't know what's to become of it. Essentially, I'm losing 6.5 hours (at least of pay) within 2 weeks because managers can't read... Or they put in the contract books (in crayon likely) 'guaranteed 8 hours of work *in crayon* except on Christmas Eve and New Year Eves day.

I think you posted this before New Years Eve day. Did you tell them thast you didn't want to go 05 and wanted 8 hours?

Did they refuse?

I guess I have a hard time relating to your dilemma. I probably made over 2k in overtime in December alone. Losing an hour and a half of guaranteed pay in order to get home Christmas eve seems like a pretty small battle to fight.

Just make it clear from now on you want the extra work , I guarantee there are drivers who will give up the stops.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
NONE (at least the ones I talked to) of the drivers were told about the code 5. center manager claimed he talked to drivers but I would have known if I was. I have no family out here so why would I want off early? It wouldn't make sense for me. At the end of the shift, I paged in, as requested (both days) and was told it was ok to come back to the center. Well, to me, that means the center doesn't have the 8 hours to give me which is why I was under dispatched. It's the first time (that I'm aware of) that they've done this to our center which made all the drivers go 'wtf?!'. If the intentions were known and I was given a choice, I wouldn't be upset. Not given a choice and having it automatically assumed it what has me upset.

I'm going to talk to the air drivers, see if they got their promised 4 hours. I know if you took an option day (ours had maxed staff yesterday) you got 8 hours pay. Isn't the point of a union to keep everything equal? If you start ignoring the contract, at convenient times, for the employee it's only a matter of time before UPS takes the liberty of ignoring it for us and saying, 'oh, well the precedent was set on Christmas Eve' and the union won't have any leg to stand on.

Have you attempted to follow the grievance procedure before badmouthing the Union. It really drives me up the DAMN wall when you people come on bitching about how the Union didn't do anything and you never even filed a grievance. If you want to come on here and air some feelings about how you hate your local Union then have a good reason for it. Right now you haven't even given them the oppertunity to resolve the problem before you complain how they did nothing. Follow the procedure spelled out for you in your contract, then if you get no results you might have a reason to bitch. Although I seriously doubt it, mosy of you just complain because of pure ignorance. Are you actively involved with your local Union? Do you attend meetings regularly or ever? Have you taken the time to READ YOUR CONTRACT? For god sake get some facts and knowledge!!!

UPSGUY72

How long have you been a driver ??? Better yet how long have you worked for UPS ??? I would think 99.9% of the hourly employees that work for UPS understand that the day after Thanksgiving and new years are hour worked day unless you ask for 8 hours ahead of time. I know in my building when a list goes up for people to sign to work those days in state that these are hour worked days.

Did you ask for 8 hours the day before, so dispatch could make sure you had enough work and another driver that wanted the day off could have it? From what you said the anwser is NO. Did you ask the morning of the day you work when you noticed you had a light load and would be done early?

over9five

Staff member
How long have you been a driver ??? Better yet how long have you worked for UPS ??? I would think 99.9% of the hourly employees that work for UPS understand that the day after Thanksgiving and new years are hour worked day unless you ask for 8 hours ahead of time. I know in my building when a list goes up for people to sign to work those days in state that these are hour worked days.

Did you ask for 8 hours the day before, so dispatch could make sure you had enough work and another driver that wanted the day off could have it? From what you said the anwser is NO. Did you ask the morning of the day you work when you noticed you had a light load and would be done early?

Really? Please post the article of the contract that this is in.

It is exactly the opposite. You are guaranteed 8 on those days unless you request code 5.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Really? Please post the article of the contract that this is in.

It is exactly the opposite. You are guaranteed 8 on those days unless you request code 5.

Sorry, Over, I have to disagree with you. It is a given that you will work Code 5 on both of these days unless you request your 8 hour guarantee.

The OP is talking about Christmas Eve. The onus is on him to make sure his mgt team knows he wants his 8 hour.

over9five

Staff member
Sorry, Over, I have to disagree with you. It is a given that you will work Code 5 on both of these days unless you request your 8 hour guarantee.

The OP is talking about Christmas Eve. The onus is on him to make sure his mgt team knows he wants his 8 hour.

A given? Sounds like an extra-contractual agreement to me. The onus is on the company to find out beforehand who wants code 5.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Have you attempted to follow the grievance procedure before badmouthing the Union. It really drives me up the DAMN wall when you people come on bitching about how the Union didn't do anything and you never even filed a grievance. If you want to come on here and air some feelings about how you hate your local Union then have a good reason for it. Right now you haven't even given them the oppertunity to resolve the problem before you complain how they did nothing. Follow the procedure spelled out for you in your contract, then if you get no results you might have a reason to bitch. Although I seriously doubt it, mosy of you just complain because of pure ignorance. Are you actively involved with your local Union? Do you attend meetings regularly or ever? Have you taken the time to READ YOUR CONTRACT? For god sake get some facts and knowledge!!!

That's the long and short of it.
Grieve it or live with it.
Contractually you have a good grievance if you weren't the one who put in the code 5 in your DIAD and they can can tell who did.
I'll add this though, the same issue arose in our building two Christmas Eves ago.
Management in haste, with good intentions, instructed at the PCM for all drivers to put code 5 in their DIAD's as the day was hours only.
As luck would have it the BA was in the building to hear the PCM and took um bridge to these instructions.
He proceeded to tell and encourage anybody who would listen to file a grievance for any hours short of their 8 hour guarantee.
There were about 20 drivers who did just that.
The steward, who shall be nameless, took it upon himself to talk each and every one of grievants into withdrawing their grievance.
I,... I mean he, explained to them that each and every Christmas Eve from then on would take on a whole new flavor if they went through with it and that in the end it would be a hollow victory.
Pretty smart fella that steward.
Every year since, management puts it out to anybody who wants their 8 hrs to contact their management team and their guarantee will be honored .
I warn the OP to be careful what he does here and to consider the needs of his co-workers, the vast majority who don't share his circumstances and very much want off early on Christmas Eve.
Intentions need to be evaluated when deciding whether to engage the company in matters of contract.
Was management being cheap as the OP suggests or were they considering the needs of the employees and their families?
I think the latter.
The union mentality should steer us towards the thought that the need of the majority outweigh the need of the few.
My advice OP, is to make your case to management, too and including filing a grievance if they aren't taking you seriously, then backing off and withdrawing it before the local level hearing.
Next year I bet they do it right.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Sorry Over, Upsguy72, and UpState are correct.
I will refer you to page 136 of the Nat Master. Art 40, sec j, subsection 2.
States that on these two named paid holidays that to work 8 hrs on these holidays that a written request must be made by the end of the last work day prior to the holiday.
Christmas Eve is not a paid holiday.
The preamble of Article 40 states that it's contents supersede any supplemental language contained in any other riders.

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Christmas Eve is a regular workday, and contractually you are guaranteed 8. Technically, the company should hang a sign up list for everyone who wants a code 5 not everyone who wants their 8 hour guarantee, but we agree to do it that way because by xmas eve most people want a code 5 so it's easier to make a list of the people who want 8 rather than vice versa. Having said that, the center team can't just assume that everyone wants a code 5, they have to hang up a list and make sure all the drivers know about it. If they didn't do that then this guy might have a legitimate grievance.

over9five

Staff member
Doesn't article 40 cover air operations? Might apply for New Years Eve, but not Christmas Eve when we deliver ground.

Am I wrong?