No longer guaranteed 8 hours of pay

tourists24

Doesn't article 40 cover air operations? Might apply for New Years Eve, but not Christmas Eve when we deliver ground.

Am I wrong?
You are 100 percent right Over..... You are guaranteed 8 when you show up.... I think its very nice of the company to offer to let people off early but should not take it for granted for everyone.... My center did it perfectly this year. In our PCM the on cars asked straight out if there was anyone that wanted their guarantee. Unless a person says "I DO", then you got paid pay actual.

M

Mike23

I'm Canadian so different contract up here. I know the old one stated we were guaranteed 8 and we went through the new one at the union meeting (which yes, I did attend them) and the exceptions of Christmas Eve and New Years were not mentioned so (and yes, get the flail out because I'm going to use the word 'assume') assume that it hasn't changed. Either way I won't be with this company by next Christmas which is the other reason I want my money!!! GIMMIE! :D

UPSGUY72

I'm Canadian so different contract up here. I know the old one stated we were guaranteed 8 and we went through the new one at the union meeting (which yes, I did attend them) and the exceptions of Christmas Eve and New Years were not mentioned so (and yes, get the flail out because I'm going to use the word 'assume') assume that it hasn't changed. Either way I won't be with this company by next Christmas which is the other reason I want my money!!! GIMMIE! :D

All you have to do is read your contract and then you wouldn't have to assume. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

upsman68

They sent all the TCD's home on Christmas eve and overdispatched us. They said you can do the extra stops because we took the pick-ups off today.

I worked 9 hours and missed church this Christmas eve.

TheKid

It may seem like nit picking but we are never guaranteed 8 hrs pay . . . . we are always guararteed 8 hrs work . . . there is a difference.

UPSGUY72

It may seem like nit picking but we are never guaranteed 8 hrs pay . . . . we are always guararteed 8 hrs work . . . there is a difference.

Wrong you are guarantedd 8 hrs of pay whether or not you work 8 hrs has no bearing on that. I have plenty of pay checks where I worked less than 8 a day and got paid for 8.
you will hour work 39.5 and then there will be another line on your check that says guaranteed .5.

Highwayman

I was asked if I wanted to work Christmas Eve and I said no (feeders) so I got no pay. Doesn't bother me. If I wanted the time I would have worked. When it comes to these times just make it CLEAR to your management team what you want.:smart:

AKCoverMan

OK, yes the contract says if we come in we are entitiled to eight hours of work and if we don’t get it we should be paid for it. However I don’t think we should use this as a “gotchya” to get paid for hours that you don’t actually work.

I think it is normal to assume that on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve the average UPS driver wants to be off as early as possible. I know in our center they dispatched most routes with about 7 hours work and made a point at PCM to tell everyone if they wanted 8 hours to please speak up. (No one did, we have been on a steady diet of 12 hour days the last six weeks.)

Before I could bring myself to file a grievance for guaranteed hours with a straight face I would have to be told by the center to code five, have told them in reply that I want eight hours pay and have my request refused. I would be sure to do this via ODS so that I had backup for my grievance. I don’t think it’s enough to just finish up, come in and slide out, then next Friday say “where’s my eight?” after the fact.

It was a moot point for me on the “Eves” this year, my Christmas Eve was a rural route split out of a UHaul cargo van, lighter than the previous two weeks but still nine hours with the two hours of windshield time getting to and from area; New Year’s Eve we ran about three quarters of the normal routes and I drew a route whose number was a route I knew well but was in fact really another route in the same loop that I don’t know so it took me a bit over eight hours.. I am sure I will be over allowed but that’s gonna happen when you go on a route cold. (Lot’s of doctor’s offices, I brought back about half the car as CLH.)

bumped

On New Years Eve if we wanted 8 hours of work we had to put in a request for 8 hours 24 hours before our start time. This request is just like if we wanted an 8 hour paid day on any other day of the year. We were asked through the diad for Christmas Eve if we wanted a minimum of 8 hours or a paid actual.