No lunch break, illegal?

browner89

It depends on your state DOL, a few states say that part timers are not required to be given a lunch break. Period. UPS management is just being a :censored2: for not helping out the hourlies and it's kind of sad that the union hasn't contracted it in. Many many many PTers work 8+ hour shifts all peak and depending on the size/staffing of your building it happens pretty regularly outside of peak.

We're not required breaks here either but management never says anything if someone stops for a minute here or there for a bite of food, no smoke breaks though, that's what the smokers bitch about all night.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
have you spoken to any coworkers or a steward about this? if not, do this first. everyone here works under different supplemental contracts between the Teamsters and UPS. as stated above, each state has different laws pertaining to this also.

good luck.

BigSlim

Here we are supposed to get a lunch after 5 hours, unless you only work 6 hours a day total. Otherwise you get a penalty hour pay for every break missed.

Happened to me three times during peak, but I had to call them out on it each time. Not that I really wanted to stick them with a penalty, but they had been automatically clocking me out for a lunch when one was never taken.

DOK

Do they have to take out what you put in the diad? Or do some centers automatically take 30/60 min no matter what you put int he diad?

They go in your time card and put in what they want regarding lunch, change start times, etc. Where ya'll been?