No more AM air drivers

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The last couple of weeks our drivers have been getting a lot more air stops before starting our routes. A 22.3 employee (who drives air in the morning, then works inside afterwards) told me that they haven't been using the air drivers to run air in the morning like they always have due to mileage for the center. We've always had air drivers deliver air in the morning where it would be too heavy for the regular drivers to bang it out before 10:30am. Now if we're overdispatched for air, they're cutting it to neighboring routes, driving off area to deliver it or they're just getting delivered late.

Between not having us deliver any misloads and now this...you can see how scared the CMs are about the heat they're getting for mileage. Service be damned, save a mile.

Funny thing is the diesel freightliner I've been driving this week has a digital readout of the MPG it gets, which is 73 MPG. Diesel is about 4.50 a gallon here...which means it's costing them about 6 cents per mile for fuel. I had an NDA misload yesterday that I could have delivered (3/4 of a mile from the area I was starting in) and they told me to sheet it as missed. Sooo, we saved 9 cents on fuel and a dollar or two on labor to lose the $20+ on NDA shipping we'll have to refund and they won't get their NDA until the following day...

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
The last couple of weeks our drivers have been getting a lot more air stops before starting our routes. A 22.3 employee (who drives air in the morning, then works inside afterwards) told me that they haven't been using the air drivers to run air in the morning like they always have due to mileage for the center. We've always had air drivers deliver air in the morning where it would be too heavy for the regular drivers to bang it out before 10:30am. Now if we're overdispatched for air, they're cutting it to neighboring routes, driving off area to deliver it or they're just getting delivered late.

Between not having us deliver any misloads and now this...you can see how scared the CMs are about the heat they're getting for mileage. Service be damned, save a mile.

Funny thing is the diesel freightliner I've been driving this week has a digital readout of the MPG it gets, which is 73 MPG. Diesel is about 4.50 a gallon here...which means it's costing them about 6 cents per mile for fuel. I had an NDA misload yesterday that I could have delivered (3/4 of a mile from the area I was starting in) and they told me to sheet it as missed. Sooo, we saved 9 cents on fuel and a dollar or two on labor to lose the $20+ on NDA shipping we'll have to refund and they won't get their NDA until the following day...
Yep. Been like this for over 2 years round here. Grevience after grievance to no avail. 22.3 jobs are a disnasoar

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Techie, why would you even ask permission to run off a NDA misload less than a mile away?

The new UPS has made it VERY clear that as drivers, we are not to think and make intelligent decisions. If we have an issue, we bring it up to management and THEY get to make the call.

Once you stop caring about service (like management has), and you just work as instructed and follow methods, this job can be so much fun, while you watch your ban account grow and grow.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Call me stupid but there is no question that I would have run the NDA misload off.

Per the terms of service of Browncafe, I don't believe I can call you stupid. Let it be known however, that I clearly would.

Misloads, no matter what service level are not our job to fix, they're managements. So however they direct me to handle them is exactly what I'm going to do

barnyard

KTM rider
We tried that a couple of years ago and for whatever reason we are back to using them. My center rarely misses service on NDA and if a Saver is found early enough, an air driver will meet to make service on it.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Most days I get my TP60 around 9am. Takes anywhere from 35 minutes to an hour to load my package car depending on volume. If I have too many air to make service commits I call the center and ask if they want me to double trip or just deliver the air late. More often than not they instruct me to deliver the air late than add the extra 30+ miles.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Per the terms of service of Browncafe, I don't believe I can call you stupid. Let it be known however, that I clearly would.

Misloads, no matter what service level are not our job to fix, they're managements. So however they direct me to handle them is exactly what I'm going to do

Call me old school but I still care about service. Taking 5 minutes round trip to make service on that NDA misload would have been the right thing to do.

Sent using BrownCafe App

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Call me old school but I still care about service. Taking 5 minutes round trip to make service on that NDA misload would have been the right thing to do.

Sent using BrownCafe App

I agree with you and makes perfect sense.
But with Orion now, they care about 2 things, Orion trace and Orion miles. That is how I'm judged in the AM.

They asked me to go to another driver the other day for an air meet. I said that will take me over my Orion miles so have him meet me. They cancelled the air meet !! That is our new service company.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
maroon drivers will still pre-record air stops because they are afraid.
We have 30 years drivers that don't know how to code their paid or even that it needed to be coded different.

I like to tell people we aren't dumb truck drivers but some make it really hard.

BrownTexas

We use air drivers only when we have too much air to handle. Our preload management sup meets drivers throughout the day to get their misloads and take them to the right driver. Often we are asked to sheet them up as closed after 4:30. I do this only when they send me a message in the Diad. Word of mouth means I take the package to the warehouse at the end of the day and have them shoot it up as missed.

OPTION3

You beat me to it…lololololol

OPTION3

We use air drivers only when we have too much air to handle. Our preload management sup meets drivers throughout the day to get their misloads and take them to the right driver. Often we are asked to sheet them up as closed after 4:30. I do this only when they send me a message in the Diad. Word of mouth means I take the package to the warehouse at the end of the day and have them shoot it up as missed.
sups come to get misloads? FILE,FILE,FILE……EASY money

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
In the past if you had a NDA misload you would notify the center and then run it. With the new UPS thou shall not leave thy area lest it increases miles. Service be damned.....we. must save miles.

oldngray

nowhere special
In the past if you had a NDA misload you would notify the center and then run it. With the new UPS thou shall not leave thy area lest it increases miles. Service be damned.....we. must save miles.

The metric of the week is always more important than service.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Man there are so many things going wrong in this post I'm flabbergasted.