No more Circle of Honor dinners

rushfan

Cutbacks are understandable, however, I disagree with doing away with this top honor program. We still are dumping money into UPS Racing and UPS racing themed programs.

One of my goals at UPS was to earn 25 years safe driving to get to the circle. I will drive safe for my family, but gone is the drive to get 25 years safe driving for UPS.

IMHO we should spend money ion those who truly deserve this honor, instead of a loosing money pit i.e. NASCAR.

Just my 2 cents worth.

evilleace

I totally agree lets take away one of the few things that boosts our employees attitude yah that is a great idea.

screamin chicken

my manager the other day said if she was not getting a raise then the circle of honor should not be allowed also, I too am thinking get out of Nascar and save some money.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
There are other places to cut to save money, doing it to the best drivers this company has is wrong. Very few make it there, this is one program that should stay. This is nothing but a shame.

DS

Fenderbender
For you rushfan

Big money goes around the world
Big money underground
Big money got a mighty voice
Big money make no sound
Big money pull a million strings
Big money hold the prize
Big money weave a mighty web
Big money draw the flies

Sometimes pushing people around
Sometimes pulling out the rug
Sometimes pushing all the buttons
Sometimes pulling out the plug
Its the power and the glory
Its a war in paradise
Its a cinderella story
On a tumble of the dice

Big money take a cruise
Big money leave a mighty wake
Big money leave a bruise
Big money make a million dreams
Big money spin big deals
Big money make a mighty head
Big money spin big wheels

Sometimes building ivory towers
Sometimes knocking castles down
Sometimes building you a stairway --
Lock you underground
Its that old-time religion
Its the kingdom they would rule
Its the fool on television
Getting paid to play the fool

Big money give and take
Big money done a power of good
Big money make mistakes
Big money got a heavy hand
Big money take control
Big money got a mean streak
Big money got no soul...

tieguy

Banned
I fully agree. Circle of honor is a special form of recognition to those drivers who accomplish extrordinary results. This is one area we should not have cut any expenses.

old levi's

blank space
Never had an accident, but would have to drive to age 69 to qualify so it has always been out of reach for me. That said, it's a shame that this recognition will not be available for those who started their career at a young age.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am not a candidate for the Circle of Honor but also agree that this program should have been retained, perhaps with a few changes. The full page spread in USA Today was not necessary and should have been eliminated. The dinner and recognition ceremony, complete with the gold jacket and plaque, and the overnight stay should have been left alone. 25 years without an avoidable is quite a feat, especially with today's drivers, and deserving of recognition beyond coffee and bagels during a PCM.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
my manager the other day said if she was not getting a raise then the circle of honor should not be allowed also, I too am thinking get out of Nascar and save some money.

If we could, we probably would. That is a contract signed years in advance.
Also, NASCAR comes out of our advertising budget and other "optional" expenditures out of our advertising budget are being reevaluated. We have to be careful there so we don't lose volume, thereby reducing jobs...very careful.

Big Babooba

Also, NASCAR comes out of our advertising budget and other "optional" expenditures out of our advertising budget are being reevaluated. We have to be careful there so we don't lose volume, thereby reducing jobs...very careful.
There was a time when the advertising budget consisted of a neatly dressed driver and a Clean brown truck - nothing else! I long for the good old days.:sad-little:

705red

Browncafe Steward
And we all know that ups never violates a contract!

barnyard

KTM rider
There was a time when the advertising budget consisted of a neatly dressed driver and a Clean brown truck - nothing else! I long for the good old days.:sad-little:

Which was fine when the competition did the same. Now, we have to do what the competition does. And, in order to maintain our healthy bottom line, costs have to be cut where they can. I would love to drive a clean truck, but during the spring thaw, when roads are always wet, after an hour, it is as dirty as it was before the wash.

TB

705red

Browncafe Steward
I have not read any were or heard that ups is planning on honoring the contract to save costs! This could save millions per year!

Give back the circle of honor, its the only recognition some get for being the best of the best! Its our hall of fame!

25 years without an avoidable is quite a feat, especially with today's drivers, and deserving of recognition beyond coffee and bagels during a PCM.

You're aware that being in the Circle of Honor doesn't necessarily mean that they never had an avoidable accident, right? If they were charged with an avoidable accident, their safe driving years are put on "hold" for a year and start counting again one year from the accident - the same way as our safe driving awards.

When I found that out, it really kind of tarnished the award in my eyes since going 25 years without an avoidable accident is a stunning accomplishment ( especially given that they'll try to charge you for an accident even if you're on the top floor of a high rise making a delivery and a rat farts on your truck while it's parked properly at the loading dock... ). Kudos to the guys that truly deserve it ( hell just surviving at this company for 25 years is an accomplishment nowadays ) but after learning that little tidbit, I always saw it as a marketing tool for the company because everyone that sees it assumes nobody on that list has ever been in an accident.

BTW, I'm not trying to slight the guys on the list. I'm just pointing out something that many people are unaware of.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
How much money does it cost for the circle of honor? millions,hundreds of thousands, hummmmmm cant imagine that it would be that much. When they put it in the Usa today isn't that advertising? Guess only once a year isn't enough accolades for them.