No more DVIR starting in 3 hours

MaceFremonti

Best I ever had was when I wrote up a flat on my tractor that had happened somewhere along my return trip home. I had caught it on my post trip and was lucky because it was completely flat but I was only pulling a 25% pup so there was not a lot of weight on it. I wrote it up like this...

"Inside right rear tire is flat."

Shop wrote...

"Could not find flat. OK to run."

Next morning I took it to the shop and showed them exactly where this mysterious flat tire was.

P

pickup

Actually, this rule could be a good thing if applied at UPS. Instead of having to go through a ton of yellow dvir carbon copies and sort out the ones that have something written up, the very presence of these slips means they're all write-ups. No "oopsie daisy" , I missed that one.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
Actually, this rule could be a good thing if applied at UPS. Instead of having to go through a ton of yellow dvir carbon copies and sort out the ones that have something written up, the very presence of these slips means they're all write-ups. No "oopsie daisy" , I missed that one.

At our building there's no sorting. If it's a page with no issues it goes into a box in dispatch.
If there's any repairs needed it goes directly on the mechanics board in the shop.

10 point

Figure the cost savings in dvir books alone.

100 pages per book; estimated book cost in quantity purchase $5.00; 100,000 drivers with 20% repair write ups (national average is reportedly 95%) and savings will be $4000.00 per day if each driver only drives one vehicle throughout their work day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Figure the cost savings in dvir books alone.

100 pages per book; estimated book cost in quantity purchase $5.00; 100,000 drivers with 20% repair write ups (national average is reportedly 95%) and savings will be $4000.00 per day if each driver only drives one vehicle throughout their work day.

How hard would it be to incorporate a virtual DVIR in to our DIADs which would be linked directly with the shop so that they would know ahead of time what repairs, if any, would be needed?

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
How hard would it be to incorporate a virtual DVIR in to our DIADs which would be linked directly with the shop so that they would know ahead of time what repairs, if any, would be needed?
I thought telemetrics were supposed to provide real time vehicle performance data to the shop. Or at least that's what they told us.

10 point

Exactly. You can sign the board. But it may not meet DOT criteria for having the dvir book on board for inspection during roadside audits and after an accident unless you could load that info with edd by putting the vehicle number in your board first and it could be archived by the driver and the DOT on and off property.

Now that would wipe out millions of dollars of paperwork for the company.

Last edited:

10 point

I thought telemetrics were supposed to provide real time vehicle performance data to the shop. Or at least that's what they told us.
It won't show a cut on a tire and non motor/tranny related issues, etc to my knowledge.
Some of these trucks have age issues that are acute like exhaust leaks in the cab from motor housing covers that need seals replaced.
If they really wanted a DOT pre and post trip done we'd all be on the 9.5 list.
Heck, they could fire up that camera in the diad board and we could shoot a picture of the problem that we write up if it can be seen. That would help everyone involved including the next driver if they needed to see it was repaired.

Last edited:

Bottom rung

My check engine light comes on almost daily. It doesn't show up on the mechanics computer program. It's almost like the only thing telematics is for is to spy on us "thieving" drivers.