No more soup for you!! I mean no more bench grinders for you!!

PE Pro

An auto mechanic told me today that his new manager had them get rid of the bench grinder. He told me that his supervisor had him personally get rid of it. He disposed it in the metal hopper. Another mechanic told me that this manager was doing this where ever he goes. According to them he says they don't need one. In all my years in maintenance every auto shop that I have ever been in has had a bench grinder. We still have one in our PE cage, we use it regularly actually the one we have is probably original to the building which is about 20 years old and the one that went into the hopper is 2-3 years old max. The guys are speculating that either someone in UPS got hurt on a bench grinder or that this management guy has had some keter audit issues with bench grinders. Either way great solution!! Way to go!! Double thumbs up for this call.:thumbup:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Perhaps the new manager has had to deal with eye injuries from mechanics using the grinder w/o eye protection. Beyond that I can not think of a reason why he would want to get rid of them.

So when a mechanic hurts himself trying to "MacGuyver" a repair instead of having the right tool for the job then they`ll come up with another rule to cover that.

upssup

Here is typically why the grinders get removed. it is the mechanics responsibility to maintain the grinder and the gap adjustments on the grinding wheels. More times than not the gaps are not maintained and the grinder gets gigged on an audit. Remove the grinder, problem solved.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Here is typically why the grinders get removed. it is the mechanics responsibility to maintain the grinder and the gap adjustments on the grinding wheels. More times than not the gaps are not maintained and the grinder gets gigged on an audit. Remove the grinder, problem solved.

Thanks for the info.

PE Pro

Perhaps the new manager has had to deal with eye injuries from mechanics using the grinder w/o eye protection. Beyond that I can not think of a reason why he would want to get rid of them.
If so, throwing the grinder in the trash???? Great solution! I lean toward the Keter suspicion. :blink:

upssup

I have extended center mechanics that have been told numerous times to either maintain the grinder or it will be removed. Where do you stop and just eliminate the problem?

klein

Für Meno :)
I have extended center mechanics that have been told numerous times to either maintain the grinder or it will be removed. Where do you stop and just eliminate the problem?

Trust me, those mechanics don't worry. They get paid by the hour. If it takes an hour to file something down, so be it.
Kinda like taking dolly's or handtrucks away from drivers.

Just takes longer.

upssup

I was waiting for someone to say something like that. Of course that is a convenient coverup for someone that does not want to do something simple the company asks of them for their $30.00 an hour!

klein

Für Meno :)
I was waiting for someone to say something like that. Of course that is a convenient coverup for someone that does not want to do something simple the company asks of them for their $30.00 an hour!

Hey, as far as I'm concerned , take all power tools away from mechanics.
Just hire a few more of them - you'll need them !

PE Pro

And who may I ask is responsible to see that the mechanics fulfill their responsibility? How does removing the responsibility solve the problem? :confused:

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Grinders are dangerous. Grinders are one of the most frequent OSHA citations in industry. Each citation is treated as a repeat offense if the violation has ever occurred at the company, which means the fines escalate to tens of thousands or more per additional occurrence.

People that use them are unaware of the dangers and the causes of potential fines.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Trust me, those mechanics don't worry. They get paid by the hour. If it takes an hour to file something down, so be it.

Just takes longer.

This is the perfect analogy and analysis by Kline.

Perhaps it's a convenient cover up by a manager that's making 6 digits that doesn't want to manage their area or prepare for the "dog and pony show" they call the Keter Audit.

upssup

It is simple. You have to be trained to use a grinder in Preseniority training. So either the mechanic did not understand what was explained to him on how to maintain the grinder or he decided he did not need to comply. In the case of my mechanics, they all know what is required to maintain the grinder. You find the root cause of the issue and resolve it. If they do not it gets removed. I am not going to risk a mechanic getting injured with a grinder.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It is simple. You have to be trained to use a grinder in Preseniority training. So either the mechanic did not understand what was explained to him on how to maintain the grinder or he decided he did not need to comply. In the case of my mechanics, they all know what is required to maintain the grinder. You find the root cause of the issue and resolve it. If they do not it gets removed. I am not going to risk a mechanic getting injured with a grinder.

So by your logic, as a package car driver, if I'm observed driving unsafely, then I will have to perform my duties without the aid of a package car?

PE Pro

If your mechanics know what is required to maintain the grinder, then why would you have to remove it. The answer: Keter, Keter, Keter. It's not your fault. A full-time sup is very low on the UPS food chain. I have not met 1 full time sup in all my years who ever stood up to the nonsense and hypocrisy that comes with bowing down before the throne of the Keter Audit.

Keter we must pass Keter!
:bow:

over9five

Staff member

Just takes longer.
+1! Great analogy, Klein!

If I were not using my 2 wheeler properly, my supervisor would set me straight. Do these mechanics not have supervisors? Instead of throwing away the grinder, perhaps you should get rid of the supervisor. Apparently, he isn't doing his job either.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
If your mechanics know what is required to maintain the grinder, then why would you have to remove it. The answer: Keter, Keter, Keter. It's not your fault. A full-time sup is very low on the UPS food chain. I have not met 1 full time sup in all my years who ever stood up to the nonsense and hypocrisy that comes with bowing down before the throne of the Keter Audit.

Keter we must pass Keter!
:bow:

Sounds like hypocrisy to me. A PE person that doesn't even know what the issues are is complaining that the grinder was removed. They are unsafe and they lead to fines because the people that use them and maintain them don't do it properly. Ketter (independent auditor) is just pretend OSHA or OSHA without fines. Keter (independent auditor) was a settlement requirement by OSHA. They use the OHSA rules. How would you suggest that you not bow down to the OSHA regulations?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
So by your logic, as a package car driver, if I'm observed driving unsafely, then I will have to perform my duties without the aid of a package car?
That's hilarious :happy-very:
I guess the next time I get caught not using my seat belt, they'll fix that by taking my seat belt away:happy-very:

upssup

Keter has very little to do with it. If I explain to these mechanics how to maintain these grinders and they do not maintain them and get hurt. What does KETER matter? I worry more about the health of my mechanics and the operation than I do about KETER.