No more soup for you!! I mean no more bench grinders for you!!

over9five

Staff member
No, what being said is the status quo at UPS. Treat the symptoms rather than cure the problem.

Exactly! Hide that one grinder, and we solve that one minute symptom. Now multiply that by 10,000 grinders. We have now solved 10,000 problems instead of fixing one issue. THAT is how we do things here!

AND....it looks great on paper. We've solved 10,000 problems after all!

rod

Retired 22 years
If that is true then you have been kissing one management person and sniffing the others rear in order to know that the taste on that management persons lips matchs the stink of the other managements persons ass.:winks:

:why:would you mess with me. I eat dumbasses like you for breakfast. You will have to grow a brain and upgrade your game if you're going to fire shots at me that stick.

the mighty Oz has spoken

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZR64EF3OpA

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
You guys are missing the point.

The grinder can't be used because there are no gloves and no sleeves. No PE work can be done safely without brown jersey gloves and it's already been established that they are no longer supplied. Plus, all the tools have been lost.

I suppose if you want a grinder for decoration, it's a nice piece to have.

Everyone else is incompetent.

PE people that have belts breakdowns (repeatedly) in the middle of the sort, lose their tools, can't follow up on a simple order, don't know the name of that hooky thing used to clear jams, and can't work safely without brown jersey gloves and disposable sleeves to keep the dirt off their hands are what we need more of.

Let's not support raising the competence level of our co-workers, it's much easier to blame everything on someone else.

satellitedriver

Fair warning.
The language and personal nature of attacks have gone too far.
I am too tired to have to edit posts and send PM's.
Cool it,
be polite and stay on topic.
My other option is to close this thread.

ok I have to reply to this First off I have been a mechanic for UPS for 25 years and never had a promble with a grinder. I was told they were removed do to to many failed Keter audits .Most mechanics own $20,000 to 50,000 dollars worth of tools that they personal take care of on the other hand UPS as hardly any tools So if I take care of mine why don't UPS take care of theres It takes 2 min to check grinder When a auto sup is in the building get out of the office and check it !! The crazest thing about this is they got us a hand held air grinders istead of having two hands to work with the bench grinder you now have one hand to hold air grinder and one hand to hold pice you are ginding YOU CALL THAT SAFE !!!

sorry for the misspelling I am just a mechanic. UPS's arm pit of the company

PE Pro

ok I have to reply to this First off I have been a mechanic for UPS for 25 years and never had a promble with a grinder. I was told they were removed do to to many failed Keter audits .Most mechanics own $20,000 to 50,000 dollars worth of tools that they personal take care of on the other hand UPS as hardly any tools So if I take care of mine why don't UPS take care of theres It takes 2 min to check grinder When a auto sup is in the building get out of the office and check it !! The crazest thing about this is they got us a hand held air grinders istead of having two hands to work with the bench grinder you now have one hand to hold air grinder and one hand to hold pice you are ginding YOU CALL THAT SAFE !!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:Double thumbs up! Great Post!

PE Pro

There are a number of potential equipment safety hazards at any workplace if the equipment is not maintained correctly. Vehicles, conveyors, irreg carts, etc. If we removed everything that was a potential safety hazard rather then adequately maintaining it none of us would have a job. I can't speak to the automotive side but from a PE perspective I would say a bench grinder is an necessary, not nice to have, piece of equipment.

JMHO, but it is not that hard to put processes in place to ensure that the bench grinder meets the guarding requirements that Ketter / OSHA look for. If you can't hold someone accountable for following a process as simple as a 30 second pre / post trip of the equipment what can you hold them accountable for?
I have never heard any of my managers speak like this! Great post!:thumbup:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

And those of us that have been around for awhile know how dangerous hand grinders are. Dannyboy did some serious damage to his hand with one of these. Several surgeries and months of recuperation........................................

tieguy

Banned
And those of us that have been around for awhile know how dangerous hand grinders are. Dannyboy did some serious damage to his hand with one of these. Several surgeries and months of recuperation........................................

yep very bad injury. If ups keeps the grinders they don't care about safety, if they have them removed then they get ripped up for taking tools away. damned if you, damned if don't.

PE Pro

yep very bad injury. If ups keeps the grinders they don't care about safety, if they have them removed then they get ripped up for taking tools away. damned if you, damned if don't.
This is a glib response. The reality of the situation is that the auto shop is being asked to do jobs that they normally would have used a bench grinder with a hand held grinder. Both tools are power tools. Both tools are dangerous if not used correctly, maintained correctly and if used for the wrong application. For example using a hand grinder when the job calls for a bench grinder. Face it the issue here is not about safety it is about Keter audit results. It is easy to hide a non -maintained hand grinder. :thumbdown

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

Tie, I was commenting specifically on the use of hand grinders. Nothing more, nothing less. Just so we are clear.......................:wink2: