No noise from retirees about the New Contract and how it affects you

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You've endeared yourself to everybody in this forum for so long that I've gotten to the point of expecting you to say stupid stuff ALL the time. Why don't you put your free time to good use by finding that woman that you so desperately want to find to spend the rest of your life with? Can't imagine why you haven't found her already.

Yawn.

beentheredonethat

just called a reporter at the la times to try to get them to carry this story how ups is screwing the retirees also contacting ny times and the wall street journal. i am e-mailing ups in atlanta and hoffa over and over again voicing our displeasure. please all of you do the same.

I get your not happy, but I think the reason you aren't getting a response is that at new rate, it is still a steal and hardly anyone else has it as good as you have it.

Pismo Bill

Everything you say is Right on..We are both in the same boat, however we are taking on water. Propaganda.........Blah blah blah yr after yr, contract after contract, same old story. I find it hard to believe that any old timers don't see the pattern. If they won on this contract, I would hate to see if they lost.Glad I only have to deal with this for 3 more yrs, I feel sorry for those who hung it up prior to Jan 1st. I am sure they feel blind sided 1 month later after getting lip service from HR. If they keep stretching out the time to get to top rate, eventually in due time UPS will be profitting more off those in progression. Took me 9 months...Yep.......Vote Yes...They won a good contract! For UPS that is!!!
what happened to the retired prior to jan. 1st. is the same thing that will happen to you after you retire and have no vote ups will take away the things they have said you will get.

beentheredonethat

what happened to the retired prior to jan. 1st. is the same thing that will happen to you after you retire and have no vote ups will take away the things they have said you will get.

They gave you what was contractually negotiated. In the new contract there were changes. As teamsters always say when mgmt gets frustrated by the contract, "you signed the contract". Well the same is true for the teamsters. "You folks voted and passed the National Master".

The Milkman

They gave you what was contractually negotiated. In the new contract there were changes. As teamsters always say when mgmt gets frustrated by the contract, "you signed the contract". Well the same is true for the teamsters. "You folks voted and passed the National Master".
Wish I could of Voted NO,retirees are hung out to dry, Changes yes...Concessions when compared to the benefits I had prior to this mess ...The Mesters will be paying for their votes in due time..

Pismo Bill

i am retired since 2009 and in our contracts we negotiated $50 dollars a month for health care in retirement. we gave up wage increases to keep our health care. but again as soon as you retire and have no vote and contract time comes up ups tell current employees they will get better health care when they retire and current retirees benefits sky rocket. the same will happen when current employees retire.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I should vote no so that people can keep their 4k pension and 50 dollar healthcare while I get 3k a month and will pay 450 for insurance? Just sayin.

Last edited:

The Milkman

I should vote no so that people can keep their 4k pension and 50 dollar healthcare while I get 3k a month and will pay 450 for insurance? Just sayin.
I understand your benefits are not as good as we got (177) Why did they end up the way they are today? In due time everyone will have less and less while UPS makes more and more.When you retire, keep your fingers crossed that UPS will not use the bait and switch tactic they did to us. If anything ALL of us at UPS should not be getting less after yrs and yrs of abuse physically and mentally.As you well know the Union is only as STRONG as it's members...looks like they need to eat their Wheaties

beentheredonethat

I understand your benefits are not as good as we got (177) Why did they end up the way they are today? In due time everyone will have less and less while UPS makes more and more.When you retire, keep your fingers crossed that UPS will not use the bait and switch tactic they did to us. If anything ALL of us at UPS should not be getting less after yrs and yrs of abuse physically and mentally.As you well know the Union is only as STRONG as it's members...looks like they need to eat their Wheaties

You must like politicians in Washington DC. They use the same fuzzy logic.

They believe that if you have increased spending by 10% per year for the last few years, and this year you increase spending by 5% that you had a "CUT in spending".

UPS pays out more and more each year for benefits for retirement and benefits for our workforce. The problem is that the increase in costs is growing even faster. The biggest problem is that UPS is no longer a near monopoly. With FDX, USPS, plus a slew of small companies like lasership etc, the pressure on price is increasing. We avg about 10 or 11% profit margin. That's not a heck of a lot when you compare it to other large companies.

The Milkman

You must like politicians in Washington DC. They use the same fuzzy logic.

They believe that if you have increased spending by 10% per year for the last few years, and this year you increase spending by 5% that you had a "CUT in spending".

UPS pays out more and more each year for benefits for retirement and benefits for our workforce. The problem is that the increase in costs is growing even faster. The biggest problem is that UPS is no longer a near monopoly. With FDX, USPS, plus a slew of small companies like lasership etc, the pressure on price is increasing. We avg about 10 or 11%
profit margin. That's not a heck of a lot when you compare it to other large companies.

Do not like lip service from polititians...however if UPS is making Profits....the benefits should at least remain the same...in due time with your thinking..we will have to keep giving back more and more bit by bit. When does it end? Your hard work for many many years is the result of where UPS is today Globally........

Pismo Bill

will you be sayin the same thing when you retire when they want to raise your premium to lets say 1500 a month. when no one votes no there will be no stopping them.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
will you be sayin the same thing when you retire when they want to raise your premium to lets say 1500 a month. when no one votes no there will be no stopping them.
I don't vote for my retirement healthcare coverage. It's run by my local. They can raise it any time they want. I sure don't expect it to get any cheaper.

Pismo Bill

I agree it sucks that retired drivers and employees have their benefits reduced BUT THIS IS THE WORLD WE LIVE IN NOW. NOBODY SEEMS TO CARE.

Yes I fully expect my benefits to be less when I get to retirement. So I am preparing for the worst.

I know many drivers who buy stock each week and that adds up quickly over time especially when the dividend reinvestment gets bigger and really starts to make a difference.

I just think its ridiculous to blame the Teamsters for everything we give up when you look at whats happening in America today to labor and all American workers.
who is going to stand up and stop it or should we just give up and let corporate America run over us.

The Milkman

140,000 members healthcare did change for the worse including retirees
The weak link in the Union to me is the blame. If Everyone and I mean Everyone took a stance like miners did years ago....Maybe today ALL of us would have greater benefits that you so rightfully earned over the years, instead of this local getting $2500 a month, the other $3100 a month, so many differences around the country are now causing rifts amongst Union members as previous posts show how much some pay while others pay less..Ups loves the division amongst the locals...gives them the upper hand...maybe to late now with the current contract but maybe just maybe down the road the Bleeding will stop for the members,and especially for us retirees who were fortunate enough to last long enough without a crippling injury to end our careers before age 55 or 57 in some cases

The Milkman

i am retired since 2009 and in our contracts we negotiated $50 dollars a month for health care in retirement. we gave up wage increases to keep our health care. but again as soon as you retire and have no vote and contract time comes up ups tell current employees they will get better health care when they retire and current retirees benefits sky rocket. the same will happen when current employees retire.

I feel your pain..just like what the White Man told Geronimo and his tribe that they would take care of his people..trust us!!!