no overtime 4 u

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
You asked a question and I gave an answer. Now you are taking my post and putting it out of context.2011 I hope to land a job with my police department. With a 5 year base salary at 97k that should help out with $13,000 taxes and $2400 mortgages. I did not ask to do a median search, I was just answering your question.

You should move to KS, I have a moderate 1300sq. ft (main level) home with a full finished basement for $850 a month on a 15 yr note, that pays all my taxes and insurance as well.

4 bedroom, 3 bath.

local804

You should move to KS, I have a moderate 1300sq. ft (main level) home with a full finished basement for $850 a month on a 15 yr note, that pays all my taxes and insurance as well.

4 bedroom, 3 bath.

I have been in NY all my life and I wish I could pull my kids away from our schools,friends and family. I know it is a lot cheaper in other states but I will think about that when I retire. I have no problem working a second job to provide for my family in the mean time.

4 bedroom, 3 bath.
The difference is that there are still vacant lots in Ks, not so many in NY. .....0.00175 sq miles pp vs. 338.54 sq miles pp.

rod

Retired 22 years
Are you sure you work for UPS? I could count the days I didn't get any overtime during my 30 years on one hand. I met 3 drivers at the local saloon last night and apparently things haven't changed. They all had 13 to 16 hours overtime in for last week.

local804

Ror, This a game they have started playing with a select few group of people to try to get them to fall into line. I have seen it done and even to a shop steward not too long ago. Companies stand point is that contractually they only have to give us 8 hours.Some people can use retalliation if its directly after a grievance and some people just enjoy tje break in the overtime cause it dont last long. There are plenty of articles in our supplimental to help us through the games.

browniehound

This is a very interesting thread that I wish to address in multiple parts. First, in this economy I would be thanking my lucky stars to get 40 hours/week of work. The unemployment rate is over 10% nationwide for the first time in decades and apparently the "change"??? Obama promised isn't working out. We are more than 1/4 through his first (hopefully only) term and people still can't find work. I wouldn't B--- too much about only getting 40 hours when tens of millions of Americans can't get any hours.

Second, my understanding of the contract is you can only grieve OT if its extra work. In other words, senoirity will give you the right to extra work on EAMS, the pre-load, a night sort, saturday airs, or a sunday sort. But if you bid route 55A that has no pick-ups after 1600 and the guy with less seniority who bids 55B has a 1830 pick-up you have no beef.

If you want the OT I would suggest you bid the route that returns to the building the latest. It takes a certain person to want this though and I'm not one of them. I like my 8 hours somedays and my 9-9.5 other days. Perhaps an occasional 10 hour day. I don't want 11-12 hours everyday doing a 20:00 pick-up every-night, because it means you can never finish early-ever. Who the heck wants that life-style? I certainly don't!

trickpony1

Cleverly arrange for your center manager to overhear you telling a co-worker how much you enjoy these 8 hour days and all this free time with your family.
It worked for me.
My feeder run got cut to 8 hours once. I kinda enjoyed it and let co-workers know.
Then one day a dispatch manager was walking in with a co worker and asked,'how does trickpony like his 8 hour days?".
The co worker said, "....I think he likes it.".
My 8 hour days returned to 9-10 hours days shortly thereafter.
I think it's called reverse psychology but I could be wrong.

over9five

Staff member
Cleverly arrange for your center manager to overhear you telling a co-worker how much you enjoy these 8 hour days and all this free time with your family.
It worked for me.
My feeder run got cut to 8 hours once. I kinda enjoyed it and let co-workers know.
Then one day a dispatch manager was walking in with a co worker and asked,'how does trickpony like his 8 hour days?".
The co worker said, "....I think he likes it.".
My 8 hour days returned to 9-10 hours days shortly thereafter.
I think it's called reverse psychology but I could be wrong.

It's the truth! I've used this method to get what I want (OT or no OT) many times.

helenofcalifornia

It would be nice if $30 an hour was a lot where we all lived, but it isn't. (Kansas sounds great!) And we all aren't financial wizards as some of you imply that we should be. We do the best we can do with what we have and what we have learned through life. Instead of bashing the guy for not having enough green to go around in one of the most expensive places to live in the country, give him the advice or ideas that can help him. California is another place where $30 an hour is not all that much to live on if you have a one income family. Utility bills for heating (gas and electric) can go up to $450-500 a month where I live. That's half a check or more right there.

Good luck in getting your OT. I would look into switching routes that have more hours attached to them.

browniehound

What I also find interesting is the $30/hour discussion. I guess its all relative and it could be a little or a lot no matter which state you live. I live in Greater Boston. It is one of the higher cost of living areas of the US. The 30 bucks an hour affords us a decent middle class life-style. We get to eat out every Saturday, own new cars and small homes, etc. It doesn't sound so bad.

I also think $30/hour is a fair wage. First, it takes no skill to deliver cardboard. On the other hand, I would be willing to bet that UPS drivers are probably amoung the most productive workers in the entire US labor force. Even the laziest of us work hard.

The Fed-Ex ground guy is done by 330 everyday. I would like to think if he gave me his route for the day, I'd be done by 1:30...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The Fed-Ex ground guy is done by 330 everyday. I would like to think if he gave me his route for the day, I'd be done by 1:30...

...and you would only have one car, your Saturday meal would be at McDonald's and your small home would be a one bedroom apt.

Median income where I live is around is $37K for a household and $45K for a family. I live very comfortably on my $70K.