No pay for Labor Day

kmart

So our management said if we call in or use FMLA on Friday or Tuesday we will not get our holiday pay. Any one ever hear of that?

PT Crazy

Our policy is you must show up the day before or the day after the holiday to get paid. Show up for work!! You get enough days off.

O

OLDMAN3

Not sure of your supplement, but usually you only have to show up for the day before OR the day after a holiday to be paid for the holiday. Not both!

EasyTrucker

Our supplement says you have to work day before and day after holiday to get holiday pay. But FMLA would count as long as you you already have it set up and they may ask for a Dr note just to prove you weren't just trying to extend your 3 day weekend.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
So our management said if we call in or use FMLA on Friday or Tuesday we will not get our holiday pay. Any one ever hear of that?

Each supplement is different but I'm pretty sure a doctor's note and/or FMLA would excuse an employee from the traditional "work the day before/day after" clause for holiday pay.

If you're sick and/or have a chronic condition, then there's nothing they can do. That being said, don't abuse FMLA or a doctor's note to get a 4 day weekend. It makes us look bad when people abuse it and that's not why we have FMLA. This is also a great way to wind up on the :censored2: list just because you didn't want to come to work.

I had a member ask me about calling in sick "because he wants a 4 day weekend" and I gave him the same spiel because he didn't have enough seniority to bid the day off with a personal.

Last edited:
Each supplements is different but I'm pretty sure a doctor's note and/or FMLA would excuse an employee from the traditional "work the day before/day after" clause for holiday pay.

If you're sick and/or have a chronic condition, then there's nothing they can do. That being said, don't abuse FMLA or a doctor's note to get a 4 day weekend. It makes us look bad when people abuse it and that's not why we have FMLA. This is also a great way to wind up on the :censored2: list just because you didn't want to come to work.

I had a member ask me about calling in sick "because he wants a 4 day weekend" and I gave him the same spiel because he didn't have enough seniority to bid the day off with a personal.
Well said.

hyena

Well said.
image.jpg

BrownChoice

I dont hesitate to call in on a Friday to actually be at a once annual family reunion.... Once a year, if needed.

Sometimes family is just more important than a lil money.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
But FMLA would count as long as you you already have it set up and they may ask for a Dr note just to prove you weren't just trying to extend your 3 day weekend.

If you are approved for FMLA, the company can't ask for a doctors note.

"One (1) of the qualifications is that regular seniority employees must complete the regularly scheduled workday which immediately precedes or follows the holiday, except in cases of proven illness or unless the absence is mutually agreed to. Full-time seniority employees shall receive eight (8) hours straight-time pay and part- time employees shall receive four (4) hours straight-time pay for the above designated holidays though not worked."

The Central Region language is clear, on the requirements to receive Holiday pay.

-Bug-

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I was on FMLA last year as an hourly and didn't work the day before or after the holiday and got the holiday pay.

Karma is a bitch

Be careful what you say
Never heard of such nonsense. I have taken the day before and day after and still gotten the holiday pay. As long as you work at least 2 days in that week you get paid. That's what sick days and poh"s are for. As long as your not an attendance problem. Be here 32 years at local 804