No Raise Here!

U

upslocal480

Everyone else at UPS was happy to get their raises tonight but when I opened up my stub and looked I seemed to have had a pay reduction. I am not surprised at all. I mean this is UPS. Instead of going from 11.00/hr to 11.85/hr I was cut to 10.85. Either they screwed up accidentally, which is fine...it happens, or they took away my sort dollar. I transfered to the center here from another hub and right before I left the hub I visited the HR Rep of that hub. That Rep. hires for the hub and this center and some others maybe. They told me I get to keep my benefits and pay and that I'd also keep my sort dollar. Its been just over a year and a half since I transfered. Anyone know whats up with this? I figured she knew what she was talking about so maybe they are trying to do their own thing here at this center, which is common, or its just a screw up. Someone that knows whats up please fill me in before I confront someone about it monday night. Maybe tell me who I should talk to first? Thanks...

W

whatsthetune

Only one question to answer. Are you doing skilled work or not? No one has the authority to let you keep your dollar in the situation you described if you are not doing skilled work.

Better get ready for the weekly deductions to pay UPS back if you have been getting overpaid.

P

proups

480 - if you are not doing skilled work (where you have to pass a sort test) you don't get that dollar.

Payroll probably caught the error and got your pay rate right. It's in the contract.

U

upslocal480

How could UPS get away with telling someone that is about to transfer that they will get to keep their sort dollar but then 2 years later decide to take it away? That is messed up. HR told me I'd keep it. I didn't ask questions because I expected them to know what they are talking about. If they had told me otherwise I might not have made the transfer. A dollar is allot to lose an hour. So I have to pay them back? You are telling me that I'll basically have my wages garnished to pay for their mistake? That is sooo typical of UPS managment. What a bunch of crooks. I could understand if they had told me otherwise and just now figured it out but they didnt. They said I keep it. Now I have to pay for their mistakes. I dont sort much here so I'd definately not get it if I was hired off the street but for some reason they told me at the other place before I transfered that I'd keep it. I thought it might have something to do with me taking the test there. This is typical UPS Managment right here. Could they be any more backward? Do they get a lesson in how to lower their morals as part of their Supervisor training? I think they get a kick out of screwing their employees. Either that or they are just that stupid and make their employees pay for THEIR own mistakes without thinking twice about it.

O

oakland

Talk to your business agent and your sup or manager. Your management needs to talk to payroll to find out if it's just an error. It might be just that. If you have been getting paid all this time with your extra dollar an hour, I don't think they can just cut you like that. You will not have to pay them back. If they start to take money out of your check without your OK you need to contact Federal Wage and Hour. It is going to go one of 2 ways, either it will be resolved very soon or it could take a long while. Keep us posted though.

T

tieguy

"How could UPS get away with telling someone that is about to transfer that they will get to keep their sort dollar but then 2 years later decide to take it away? That is messed up. HR told me I'd keep it."

Another example of the whiner at work. Talks to someone and gets the wrong answer and accepts the answer because its what he wanted to hear. If your sorting you deserve the dollar. If your not sorting you should not get the dollar and you should not expect the dollar. Stop your whining and answer the question are you sorting? If not why would you expect to get paid for something your not earning?

D

deliver_man

I suspect that someone will soon be making a "power rangers" analogy in this thread.

U

upslocal480

Another example of the whiner at work. Talks to someone and gets the wrong answer and accepts the answer because its what he wanted to hear. If your sorting you deserve the dollar. If your not sorting you should not get the dollar and you should not expect the dollar. Stop your whining and answer the question are you sorting? If not why would you expect to get paid for something your not earning?

Another example of a sup fitting the profile I, and many, many others, have described before. Also yet another example of you not being able to read. You did this on a previous post. I answered the question once. Its there in plane English. Only a sup would tell someone to stop whining about losing money! Or someone that doesn't need money. So typical. You must have not understood oh....90% of my post if you are asking why I expect to get a dollar. I guess I'll have to repeat it again for you since you can't seem to grasp it the first time..AGAIN! I WAS TOLD BY HR I KEEP THE DOLLAR! THAT is why I expect to have it. NO I'm not sorting much now. People should be held accountable for what they say and thats what I'm doing in this situation. HR told me I keep it so I'm holding them to that. I'm definately NOT the only one out there getting paid to sort that isn't sorting. I'm not the one that screwed up here. I don't know what your problem is but remember you arent the one losing money. I am. You don't have to act like a prick because you, for some reason, think I have no right to complain about losing money.

Deliver_man....no comment.

P

proups

480: read your contract. Wages are well defined. If the HR person told you that you would keep the dollar, they just might have been wrong. I really don't think that UPS will ask for the money back, but if you aren't doing skilled work, then you don't get paid for it. It is just like when a driver goes back into a Hub job during a layoff - they get paid for the work they are doing - not driver's pay. Relax....read your contract!

T

tieguy

Common sense and a little initiative on 480's part would have told him he would only get the dollar if he sorted. He knew that. He heard what he wanted to hear and then starts whining when reality kicks in. Typical

U

upslocal480

If "reality" kicked in smart ass than can you explain to me why thousands of UPS employees out there get paid to sort that don't? I was paid to sort at the hub for a long time before I ever got a sorting job there. When I was told I'd keep it and later starting thinking about why, I remembered that fact so it just seemed to make since. So whats typical is that many people get paid to sort that dont sort but I guess I'll be the exception. Thats your reality Tieguy. A little commone since and and an initiative to improve your reading comprehendsion would have helped you understand my point better.

Proups...I agree with you totally but again I must mention the fact that there are so many people getting paid to sort that aren't. I guess there is really not any clear cut language in the contract to keep this from happening. Either that or management and payroll just doens't care. I guess I'm one of the few that will have it enforced on me.

P

proups

480: in a hub I could see people being paid to sort while they loaded , etc....the Hub Sups need back-up sorters so they pay these people to do other work and be ready if necessary. That's probably not the case in a center.

U

upslocal480

480: in a hub I could see people being paid to sort while they loaded , etc....the Hub Sups need back-up sorters so they pay these people to do other work and be ready if necessary. That's probably not the case in a center.

It should apply here too though. We have had 5 different people sort off and on the past 3 months including me. What is the difference between a hub needing back up sorters and a center needing them? I mean hey come on now...its the same princible!
biggrin.gif

T

tieguy

So now I get called a smart ass because you want to get paid for something you did not earn. How dissapointing.

U

upslocal480

"So now I get called a smart ass because you want to get paid for something you did not earn. How dissapointing."

JEEZ! If you think thats why I called you a smart ass then there is ABSOLUTELY NO hope for you improving your reading comprehension. The question of whether or not I "deserve" a sorting dollar was not the issue but of course if you didn't have trouble understanding what you read then you'd know that. No point in talking about it anymore with you because its obviously not getting me, and especially you, anywhere.