No UPS label on package

rick_osu

Greetings! I'm a first time poster (is this the right place to post this?...), and a longtime UPS user who has been very happy with the service I've received so far. In the past few days, I have found myself in quite the predicament. The story goes like this:

I had a computer part that was determined to be defective, so the company that I bought it from told me to ship it back to their hq in California. So, I box it up, and affix the label that the company emailed me onto the box (this label was for the part manufacturers processing purposes only. It was not a paid freight label, so it had no tracking number Just my address and the headquarters address). The next day, I get up, and make my way from Columbus to Cleveland to visit my brother, who is in town for a little bit. I was in a bit of a rush to leave early, and I forgot the package on my desk. So, I asked my roommate if he could take it to our local ups, and that I would compensate him when I got back. Well, long story short, he ended it up just taking the package to a drop box , with NO UPS label; only the label from the manufacturer. Remember, this label had only my address and the manufacturer address. So, I call my local UPS to see what they could do to help. Understandably, since there was no tracking number, there wasn't much they could do. The most I could do was give them a box description, my name, and the addresses on the label.

From a UPS customer to any employees that may read this: Have any of you been a part of an experience like this? If so, what was the protocol? Also, I just want to make clear that I am not , by any means, placing any blame on UPS. I understand that my incompetence led me to this.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Whenever I have had this happen and the customer lives on or near my delivery area I would bring it back to their house and write "needs shipping label" on the box. If the customer does not live nearby I bring the pkg back to the center and let the PM clerk take it from there.

UPSGUY72

Greetings! I'm a first time poster (is this the right place to post this?...), and a longtime UPS user who has been very happy with the service I've received so far. In the past few days, I have found myself in quite the predicament. The story goes like this:

I had a computer part that was determined to be defective, so the company that I bought it from told me to ship it back to their hq in California. So, I box it up, and affix the label that the company emailed me onto the box (this label was for the part manufacturers processing purposes only. It was not a paid freight label, so it had no tracking number Just my address and the headquarters address). The next day, I get up, and make my way from Columbus to Cleveland to visit my brother, who is in town for a little bit. I was in a bit of a rush to leave early, and I forgot the package on my desk. So, I asked my roommate if he could take it to our local ups, and that I would compensate him when I got back. Well, long story short, he ended it up just taking the package to a drop box , with NO UPS label; only the label from the manufacturer. Remember, this label had only my address and the manufacturer address. So, I call my local UPS to see what they could do to help. Understandably, since there was no tracking number, there wasn't much they could do. The most I could do was give them a box description, my name, and the addresses on the label.

From a UPS customer to any employees that may read this: Have any of you been a part of an experience like this? If so, what was the protocol? Also, I just want to make clear that I am not , by any means, placing any blame on UPS. I understand that my incompetence led me to this.

Well since your friend can't follow instruction right. He could have put it in a FED EX or USPS Drop Box either way. Good luck Hopefully everything turns out good for you....

Remember if your want something done right the first time do it yourself...

ymelord

Main thing is that it's addressed so it will either go back to you or billed to you and shipped on. Most likely returned to you.

DS

Fenderbender
You may get lucky and have a veteran upser find your package,
in which case they would realize where it's true destination is and
If necessary create a new tracking number.I would not be surprised if
your package made it.Keep us posted.

PT Car Washer

Rewrap clerk well open the box up and try to figure out where it came from or where it is going. Happens all the time. If the rewrap clerk is skilled enough you will get your package back one way or another. Happens all the time and we do not just throw the package away. Sometimes I will put it in a Fed Ex or USPS box but that can go around for weeks

p228

Typically, with large shippers the RMA label will have a reference # on it that is linked to the shipping label. It should be easy for a clerk to look up.

Thank you for all the responses! You have all been very helpful.

Stranger things have happened. :happy-very:

Tiny Panda

I used to collect from the London Heathrow mail center on my old route, every 6 months or so i would go in and collect 10+ mail sacks full of UPS packages that had been put into the normal mail boxes. Some had UPS return labels, some just had UPS written on the box/bag so were put in with them. It was all small stuff, phone size or similar, not much bigger. The vast majority were laptop batteries and Apple returns, Ipods etc. The brain power of some people who think UPS is the same as Royal Mail staggers me.

I would say you'd be lucky if you get it back, one box in amongst i'm guessing hundreds at overgoods is a long shot.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Rewrap clerk well open the box up and try to figure out where it came from or where it is going. Happens all the time. If the rewrap clerk is skilled enough you will get your package back one way or another. Happens all the time and we do not just throw the package away. Sometimes I will put it in a Fed Ex or USPS box but that can go around for weeks

The only time our PM clerk will open one of these is if she is looking for a shipping label; beyond that, the package will either be returned to the consignee or a label will be created and the receiver will be billed.

Typically, with large shippers the RMA label will have a reference # on it that is linked to the shipping label. It should be easy for a clerk to look up.

Our employees do not have access to RMA and RA data.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was referring to the reference numbers at the bottom of the shipping label. Some shippers use the same numbers on both.

So are you saying that our employees are able to access the mainframes of our larger shippers using our antiquated computer systems? I did not realize this and if you are right I do apologize for my earlier post.

p228

UPS: Tracking Information

Click 'Track by Reference'

edit

What is a shipment reference?
A shipment reference is an identifier that you define by completing the "reference" fields during the shipping process. This reference could be a purchase order (PO) number, a customer number, a company name, a Bill of Lading number, or a phrase that identifies that shipment -- such as "10 crates" or "gift for Mom." Shipment references can be any combination of letters and numbers up to 35 characters.

Last edited:

rick_osu

Okay, I return bearing updates:

I received an email this morning from UPS. This is what it said:

"Thank you for your e-mail. I have checked the status of your shipment in our tracking system. Our records indicate that your shipment was delivered on May 24th, 2013 at 11:55 AM local time to the following address:

2900 SATURN ST
BREA CA 92821
UNITED STATES

Your shipment was signed for by the following individual:

DWIGHT - DOCK

You can view the transit details by tracking the package using tracking number 1ZA1615R9076209864, at the following link:

If there is anything else I can assist with, please let me know. Have a wonderful day!"

It says it was delivered on May the 24th, which is impossible, seeing as how I hadn't even bought the item at that point. Any Idea what's going on?

UPSGUY72

Okay, I return bearing updates:

I received an email this morning from UPS. This is what it said:

"Thank you for your e-mail. I have checked the status of your shipment in our tracking system. Our records indicate that your shipment was delivered on May 24th, 2013 at 11:55 AM local time to the following address:

2900 SATURN ST
BREA CA 92821
UNITED STATES

Your shipment was signed for by the following individual:

DWIGHT - DOCK

You can view the transit details by tracking the package using tracking number 1ZA1615R9076209864, at the following link:

If there is anything else I can assist with, please let me know. Have a wonderful day!"

It says it was delivered on May the 24th, which is impossible, seeing as how I hadn't even bought the item at that point. Any Idea what's going on?

What's going on. You don't even know that UPS has your package. As far as you know you "friend" could have dropped it in a USPS or Fed Ex box or it could still be in his car.

All that you can do is wait and hope the package get returned to you or to the place you wanted it shipped to.

rick_osu

I am 100 percent positive that it was dropped off at a UPS drop box. He showed me the drop box he put it in. 40 West Third Avenue, Columbus, Ohio. It is definitely a UPS drop box. I guess you're right about the last part, though. All I can do is wait and hope things turn out my way.

UPSGUY72

I am 100 percent positive that it was dropped off at a UPS drop box. He showed me the drop box he put it in. 40 West Third Avenue, Columbus, Ohio. It is definitely a UPS drop box. I guess you're right about the last part, though. All I can do is wait and hope things turn out my way.

I know if it doesn't have a UPS label I will put it in the either the Fed ex box if it's a Fed Ex label or The USPS box.

If the driver put it in the USPS box you will get the package back stating postage is due. Since the postal service has consolidated there sorting facilities it might take a couple of days.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Depending on who empties that box, it may still be sitting in the box. Some air drivers and others don't take it if they don't know what to do with it.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
The "90" after the first eight characters in your tracking number indicates a return code. It's possible that the agent to whom you were speaking with mixed up your package information with another. I'm assuming this was NewEgg?