No wonder why ups or union don't care

curiousbrain

Or 2 other jobs. I do not miss working 80 plus hours a week.

Agreed; I had three jobs when I started just over two years ago - I worked preload, did carpentry and windows afterwards, and then did freelance software work during nights and/or weekends. Would do it again if I had to ... but, thankfully I don't, at least yet.

Working those jobs and all those hours, I found the volume got turned way down on everything else in life .. almost everything that used to bother me, ceased to bother me; it's all relative, I suppose.

stink219

The waivers they want you to sign
It sounds like to me that there are many issues going on here. First and foremost, I have a deep hatred for UPS, BUT, the job affords me luxuries. What I take from your rant is that you seem to have a poor work ethic. Unless you are being singled out and forced to do more than anyone else. It's called work! Hard physical labor. You can chose to stay or go. But if there are illegalities, report them. Just stop blaming UPS or the union because you can't do the job that 250,000 others can.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It sounds like to me that there are many issues going on here. First and foremost, I have a deep hatred for UPS, BUT, the job affords me luxuries. What I take from your rant is that you seem to have a poor work ethic. Unless you are being singled out and forced to do more than anyone else. It's called work! Hard physical labor. You can chose to stay or go. But if there are illegalities, report them. Just stop blaming UPS or the union because you can't do the job that 250,000 others can.

It says you have been a member since 2010, but I have only taken notice of your posts recently.
I am becoming a huge fan.
Keep up the good work.

Notcool

I notice alot of part timers speaking up about the worthless pay. We are told to speak up go to union meetings but when we do we are called lazy or have a poor work ethic. Mostly by those sitting pretty.

stink219

It says you have been a member since 2010, but I have only taken notice of your posts recently.
I am becoming a huge fan.
Keep up the good work.
Thanks dude. You also. I wasn't active until recently. I hate extremism. I've been seeing a lot of that on here. I feel some people on here use this site to either self promote or as a self esteem boost to "go against the grain". I'm sure you know who I mean. I hate especially when our own brothers trash our union. Nobody is perfect, but when we trash talk the one entity that bargains for us, it weakens us as a whole. Some of these ******* should be kicked out for treason. It's called a UNION not DIVISION! So thanks again!!

Last edited by a moderator:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We are sitting pretty cause we put in our time, paid our dues, took our lumps, and didn't cry about the work. We showed up, smiled and did the BS we had to do until it was our turn to move up. Noone just handed me an 80K a year job. Far from it

Some of us walked in off the street and went right to sitting pretty.:wink2:

UPSGUY72

Re: Yes

Truth is they break labor laws

Please specify which ones they are breaking ???

People don't speak up and they are ok with the crappy pay. I have to w wait a whole year for benefits and it wont pay rent

The Union voted to give them that concession last contract. Most companies don't give PT health care benefits at all and when Obama Care fully kicks in those that do will be even less..

The waivers they want you to sign

What waivers do you speak of ????

The door isn't locked where you work you go home everyday after work if you don't like the conditions of your employment with UPS don't show up at work anymore. Don't worry UPS isn't going to send anyone out looking for you they will have forgotten all about you after 3 days...

UPSGUY72

People don't speak up and they are ok with the crappy pay. I have to w wait a whole year for benefits and it wont pay rent

Get a second job and be that a FT job... I use to work PT at UPS on the preload shift M-friend and work a FT job 10 hrs a day M-T.

bluehdmc

Some of us walked in off the street and went right to sitting pretty.:wink2:

I'm off the street, yes I'm "sitting 'semi-pretty'" still end up getting the less "choice" jobs in feeders, still had to go through progression, still getting laid-off after 6+ years.

So I can't say I "walked in off the street and went right to sitting pretty". I was unemployed but took a cut in pay to start here, it wasn't until the end of progression that I exceeded my previous pay. I will admit I didn't spend years in the hub or in package. Both are jobs I wouldn't have taken 6 yrs ago.

That said, unions are what the members make of it. I've gone to a lot of hubs and have seen a lot of people wearing knit shirts moving packages when part-timers are walking out telling the knit shirts to "have a nice weekend". So who's to blame for that?

Justaname

We are sitting pretty cause we put in our time, paid our dues, took our lumps, and didn't cry about the work. We showed up, smiled and did the BS we had to do until it was our turn to move up. Noone just handed me an 80K a year job. Far from it
I agree, but you can't tell me you didn't complain just a little.