Noise in package cars

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Is it just me, or is the constant noise that we have to put up with in the cab causing the hearing to diminish?

It would be such a cheap fix to make the cars much quieter.

d

wkmac

What'd you say? Speak up dammit because after 25 years inside the building with those conveyors running my hearing ain't what it once was!

Dog-gone-it! Could someone tell me what he said!

:wink:

sendagain

Yeah, you have to shout in the hub to be heard over the noise of the belts. I used to be so glad when they shut them off. I don't think a little cork on those concrete walls would be a bad investment.

Slothrop

dannyboy said:
Is it just me, or is the constant noise that we have to put up with in the cab causing the hearing to diminish?

It would be such a cheap fix to make the cars much quieter.

d

Do you even work for UPS at the present time?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have had a certain amount of hearing loss as well after working around conveyer belts as a hubrat and sitting on top of a deisel engine for a couple of decades. For example, I have had to change the treble setting on my radio to hear music better. I have a newer P700 now, (23,000 miles on it), and it does seem quieter than the old ones. I don't know if this is due to hearing loss, more insulation in the cab, or the muffler isn't burned out yet!:confused:1

Last edited:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
There are many laws that protect the workers, and supposedly we have a union that also is protecting us from the evils of an abusive employer.

So why not quiet down the package cars. The newer ones were an improvement for a while at least. And as 9.5 said, others in the industry have cars that are very quiet. And many are air-conditioned as well.

So that might be something that the union should consider this contract season. Either that or require UPS to set aside money for hearing aids for drivers.

d

reydluap

I ONCE complained about the noise of my diesel. Sup said I could have an "old gasser back, so quit your b*tch'n". I bought me a carton of ear plugs and have worn them for 5 years now. Now HE b*tches that I won't answer my cell phone when he needs ME. Lifes great....

Ms Spoken

I was reading in my contract book under article 14 (equipment, accident & reports) All new package car and feeders, will be ordered to comply w/ FMCSR (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations) regarding in cab noise levels.

So I guess my old POS truck and my ears are SOL.

I was also wondering are we "as drivers" allowed to have a copy any reports we have signed?

Last edited:
S

speeddemon

The bottom line here is that it is going to impair our hearing, but UPS will say its from something you have done at home.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Yeah, sleeping is hard on the hearing. After all, working the hours at UPS, not much left to do but sleep.

Been thinking about getting some real data on the noise level over a period of one day or a week in the cab. Without real life hard data, nothing will ever change.

And of course UPS will come back like they do on the weight of the average package at 16 pounds or what ever they claim the average is now.

Knowledge and hard data is the key to getting change.

BTW, on a different but related subject, all the package cars in the center have now been retrofitted with a new handrail. The handrail is about two feet long and can be used by even the most vertically challenged driver. So persistance pays when it comes to safety issues. Dont back down when you know you are in the right.

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
And what is your point there susie sweetie? To try and discredit me or the subject?

Why can you not focus on the subject matter instead of personality issues. That is all you seem to want to accomplish here. I have yet to see you post with any real knowledge of UPS past what you can gleen from websites. But yet you seem to have all the answers......well maybe at least you can link to all the answers........well, Ok only if they are in the wilkopedia.

As to OSHA, I have delt with them in the past on several different issues and levels. They dont care what you think, all they care about is hard data that you can show them. Of course if they asked ups, what type of data do you think they would get?

So either become a solution to the problem or remain part of the problem.

As far as what capacity, Id have to kill you if I told you, and unlike you, I dont threaten people. Its obvious you dont have the clearance to find out any information on your own.

So slither back into the nest sweetie.

d

Slothrop

dannyboy said:
And what is your point there susie sweetie? To try and discredit me or the subject?

Why can you not focus on the subject matter instead of personality issues. That is all you seem to want to accomplish here. I have yet to see you post with any real knowledge of UPS past what you can gleen from websites. But yet you seem to have all the answers......well maybe at least you can link to all the answers........well, Ok only if they are in the wilkopedia.

As to OSHA, I have delt with them in the past on several different issues and levels. They dont care what you think, all they care about is hard data that you can show them. Of course if they asked ups, what type of data do you think they would get?

So either become a solution to the problem or remain part of the problem.

As far as what capacity, Id have to kill you if I told you, and unlike you, I dont threaten people. Its obvious you dont have the clearance to find out any information on your own.

So slither back into the nest sweetie.

d

The point is that you pretend to be a UPS employee, when in fact you are not.

It is very simple to put a decible meter in a package car and measure the noise. It was done in my former district. Guess what?...UPS was within levels allowed.

If you are working for UPS and collecting a Teamster pension, you are breaking the law as regard to re-employment. As a Teamster retiree that is of consequence to me.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
As a Teamster retiree that is of consequence to me.
my former district. Guess what?...UPS was within levels allowed

So which is it sweetie, I am having a hard time keeping up with everything you claim to be/been/done. If it was your former district, that would make you a manager, but yet you claim to be a teaster retiree?

That is the way true liberals are, instead of attempting to discuss the problem, they intentionally sidetrac the discussion to personally attack whom ever they wish to discredit.

I was hoping you had learned some very valuable lessons as susie, but you have not changed. So I would guess the best thing for me to do is to put you on the ignore list again.

Like I said, UPS run studies on the amount of noise, what did you expect. To fail? You are not talking to a bunch of dummies here sweetie, we know and have seen first hand how things get covered up at UPS. Like the only time anyone really gets a safety wad in the crack of the panties is right before an audit, most of the rest of the year it takes a back seat to just about anything else.

God I love frustrating lonely ole bags that have nothing better to do than to put down others that are actually trying to better the workplace.

Rant on, I wont be seeing your garbage.

Best

d

Slothrop

dannyboy said:
So which is it sweetie, I am having a hard time keeping up with everything you claim to be/been/done. If it was your former district, that would make you a manager, but yet you claim to be a teaster retiree?

That is the way true liberals are, instead of attempting to discuss the problem, they intentionally sidetrac the discussion to personally attack whom ever they wish to discredit.

I was hoping you had learned some very valuable lessons as susie, but you have not changed. So I would guess the best thing for me to do is to put you on the ignore list again.

Like I said, UPS run studies on the amount of noise, what did you expect. To fail? You are not talking to a bunch of dummies here sweetie, we know and have seen first hand how things get covered up at UPS. Like the only time anyone really gets a safety wad in the crack of the panties is right before an audit, most of the rest of the year it takes a back seat to just about anything else.

God I love frustrating lonely ole bags that have nothing better to do than to put down others that are actually trying to better the workplace.

Rant on, I wont be seeing your garbage.

Best

d

My goodness dear boy, take care of those anger issues. Did it ever occur to you,in the hills of TN, that my local took care of an entire district?

Now do you or do you not work for UPS?

ikoi62

you think the newer trucks are loud?
you should have driven a old 8 cube with wooden shelves then you can talk loud..:w00t:

over9five

Staff member
Like Susie, I want to know too.

Danny, you've told us you left the company, and yet you post as if you're still working.

What up, dude?