Noise in package cars

30andout

Sounds like your DEEP alright, I'll get my boots. I just hope when I no longer work at UPS I find better places than this board to hang out.:tongue_sm

over9five

Staff member
OK! Well, that answers that!

See, Susie, we did get a thorough, well thought, and complete explanation. All we had to do was ask.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Actually, while I am retired and not used to the position, I still am active in items that were issues at our center. Only now I assist drivers in moving forward in dealing with safety issues on their own.

I usually get two or three phone calls a day from drivers with problems they need assistance with. Some weeks it is quiet and not as bad. It also makes it easy to access grievance forms since I computerized our grievances. Just point click and print and out come three readable copies of the grievance, one white, one yellow, and one pink.

So excuse me for slipping into the present with discussions on current issues. While I might not be the one going through the issue, there are others that are and have asked me to get involved.

Now, satisfied? How about getting back to the discussion. Or do we want more information there 95?

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I just hope when I no longer work at UPS I find better places than this board to hang out

And so what you are saying is that you are posting on this board while you are at work at UPS?

Or did you mean since you are off work, you would not hang around here.

d

30andout

I post from my cell phone while I drive, its called multi-tasking. But it sure scares the hell out of other drivers on the road.:wink:

over9five

Staff member
Danny, I need more info....

Re:
"all the package cars in the center have now been retrofitted with a new handrail."

Is this the same handrail that is now standard equipment on new package cars? I think it's actually close to three feet long, and runs down the outside of the car.

And:
Are you saying ALL cars were done? Did they remove the existing handrails?

I have a new car with the three foot outside handrail, and it is much better EXITING the vehicle.
However, when ENTERING the vehicle, the handrail is off to your right, and it never feels quite right. (You're holding on with your arm out to your side instead of forward and above you).

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I have not seen any of the newest cars in our center.

They are either all done allready or are scheduled for the modification.

The drivers with the problems were the first to be modified.

d

wornoutupser

This is a litle late from the begining of the post but I have been working so late again that I have not been on the board much.

My Radio Shack loaned me a decibel meter. I took it all day long in a P 10 and it hit over 100 decibels many times during the day.

Can anyone post the OSHA limit? I understand it to be 90 decibels.

tilskin

Re: grievance forms

anybody no of a website to download grievance forms? I need some for monday and forgot to get from my steward.

Thanks

disneyworld

There are many laws that protect the workers, and supposedly we have a union that also is protecting us from the evils of an abusive employer.

So why not quiet down the package cars. The newer ones were an improvement for a while at least. And as 9.5 said, others in the industry have cars that are very quiet. And many are air-conditioned as well.

So that might be something that the union should consider this contract season. Either that or require UPS to set aside money for hearing aids for drivers.

d
Supposedly they are within standards and regulations. But who's checking them?

Cementups

Box Monkey
I can't complain sinc eth I drive one of the new Sprinters. It's only little more noise than driving my Volvo to and from work. My Sirius boombox is louder than my truck.

canon

I can't complain sinc eth I drive one of the new Sprinters. It's only little more noise than driving my Volvo to and from work. My Sirius boombox is louder than my truck.
FedEx guy told me they still don't have the ARS switch in their sprinters. Does yours?

bugman74

It looks as if the FedEx cars have black indoor/outdoor carpet on the metal bulkhead. I would imagine that it just absorbs the sounds from the road as well as the engine. I wonder how much it would cost to put two 2 1/2' by 3' pieces of that and a few rivets to hold it up. Just a thought.

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
Danny,
Who made the decision to add the longer hand rail? If the modification did not come from corporate automotive than it is a unauthorized modification subject to termination of all parties involved.. to modify the package car yes even add a hand rail that has to be approved by the DOT, and corporate has to be involved. In Mesquite we got authorization to add an additional hand rail to the old high step p8's and p10's, but we added a hand rail just lower to the existing hand rail, and we were not allowed to remove the old hand rail.

W

wwwwwwww

We may not be the pride of UPS, but without us the Pride Don't Ride.

That’s what the grease monkeys at NWA thought. They had hella skills compared to UPS mechanics.

Yet NWA continued to operate and *continues* to operate – never missed a beat – while they were permanently replaced.

There’s a lesson to be learned there.