Non-bonus center ops changed?

Our center has begun the voting process of getting rid of bonus. The argument is that they "UPS" are giving us to much work. So if we get rid of bonus our workload would go down because routes would go up. Basically my question is in the last 5-10 years has your non bonus center workload stayed the same or has it gone up by 10 to 20 % per route?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
What does too much work have to do with bonus?

If you are skipping break to make bonus, that's a problem. If you are doing that, the bonus better be more than it would be with the overtime. Is it?

9.5er

Our center entertained the thought of voting out bonus a few years ago. Some wanted it gone, obviously more wanted to keep it as we still make bonus. We were told that once bonus was gone there was no getting it back.
Our routes have most certainly had an increase in workload in the past few years.

By The Book

Our center has begun the voting process of getting rid of bonus. The argument is that they "UPS" are giving us to much work. So if we get rid of bonus our workload would go down because routes would go up. Basically my question is in the last 5-10 years has your non bonus center workload stayed the same or has it gone up by 10 to 20 % per route?
Vote it out and your stress level will go down. Then if they still hammer you get on the 9.5 list, and use your 8 hour requests. Most guys scratch with bonus anyway. They come in early to fluff the load, work thru lunch, give up breaks, and always complain when they have to help out a driver who does it by the book. The bonus system creates a bunch of cry baby braggers if you ask me. It may not create the amount of routes you think it would because the runners will now work the extra hour, and give up time as well.

Mr.Golden

Our center doesn't have bonuses but in my opinion I think we should have them cause it gives us an option. If I don't finish I'm still getting ot. If i finish early I'll still get paid like if I was still out there. Sounds like a win win to me

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
I remember when I started with UPS 30 years ago when you could actually run your route by the methods and make bonus. Now the time studies are so flawed you can skip lunch, run all day, and still not make bonus. The guys in our center that ran bonus for years are over allowed every day. And some are over by at least an hour or more.

Wouldn't bother me to see the bonus system gone. Hasn't worked in years.

By The Book

Our center doesn't have bonuses but in my opinion I think we should have them cause it gives us an option. If I don't finish I'm still getting ot. If i finish early I'll still get paid like if I was still out there. Sounds like a win win to me
If your young and a runner you will like a bonus center. Just a note, the higher seniority drivers will not like you burning up the route, and upsetting the customers. See.....the customers like to wait till the regular driver is back to fill them in on all the crap the fill in did that upset them...but that's not you. I'm sure you just want to do everything by the book and say...give up your breaks if you want and get paid for them while your driving home. After a while you'll find out that the bonus is on the routes they want it to be on.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I remember when I started with UPS 30 years ago when you could actually run your route by the methods and make bonus. Now the time studies are so flawed you can skip lunch, run all day, and still not make bonus. The guys in our center that ran bonus for years are over allowed every day. And some are over by at least an hour or more.

I used to consistently scratch nearly whatever route I would run. I would have been ok with bonus if my center had it.

You want bonus in feeders, just slow down. Bonus achieved!

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
If your young and a runner you will like a bonus center. Just a note, the higher seniority drivers will not like you burning up the route, and upsetting the customers. See.....the customers like to wait till the regular driver is back to fill them in on all the crap the fill in did that upset them...but that's not you. I'm sure you just want to do everything by the book and say...give up your breaks if you want and get paid for them while your driving home. After a while you'll find out that the bonus is on the routes they want it to be on.

That's their(the drivers) problem, if I run their routes too fast they can cry all they want. I used to torch routes, punch out in 8, and the customers STILL loved me.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
It cracks me up when runners whine about getting "too much work." If I were in management and you ran an hour and a half early, I'd pile on the work too.

By The Book

That's their(the drivers) problem, if I run their routes too fast they can cry all they want. I used to torch routes, punch out in 8, and the customers STILL loved me.
I'm sure some did, not all. Sounds like you look out for number 1. I hope in your many years of service you've slowed a bit.

9.5er

It cracks me up when runners whine about getting "too much work." If I were in management and you ran an hour and a half early, I'd pile on the work too.
Not every where. We have a handful of drivers that are very consistent about being back by 5 every day. No matter how much they put on them. You'd think management would keep giving it to them but a couple of them whine and cry about too much work so they pull some off. Guess who usually gets to pick up the extra work. That's right, this guy.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Do you skip lunch to do that? Falsify records is doing so?

I ask this because we don't have bonus where I am, and you can't run like mad all day, working for free by not taking break, and still not run scratch. The bonus better be quite large or you are getting ripped off.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
So glad we aren't a bonus center. I just don't think it is worth the effort. They just keep jacking up your numbers so you cant. Then you cant live up to the numbers you created. May work out for a time. But, in the end you are doing exactly what they want. Running. Wut???

Not every where. We have a handful of drivers that are very consistent about being back by 5 every day. No matter how much they put on them. You'd think management would keep giving it to them but a couple of them whine and cry about too much work so they pull some off. Guess who usually gets to pick up the extra work. That's right, this guy.
But who gets the rest of the time? That's right, this guy.

Overpaid Union Thug

I wish I could answer that. We are still a bonus center. I'd vote it out in a heartbeat for sure. Most of our center's drivers slowed down a few years ago so at this point if we did vote out bonus there would only be a few more that would probably decide to slow down and take their lunches. Most of the runners and gunners we have now are the type that will continue their ways whether we are a bonus center or not.