Non-bonus center ops changed?

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Our center has begun the voting process of getting rid of bonus. The argument is that they "UPS" are giving us to much work. So if we get rid of bonus our workload would go down because routes would go up. Basically my question is in the last 5-10 years has your non bonus center workload stayed the same or has it gone up by 10 to 20 % per route?
How do you define workload?

UPSmechanicinblue

I'm a mechanic at a non bonus center(always been that way), I cover vacations at a bonus center. One thing I noticed is their drivers are all in and gone sort done cars parked in the lineup and everyone is gone at the building at least an hour an half before our non bonus is finished for the night. They even run a few more routes. Hope this helps

9.5er

Stop counts, piece counts have gone up somewhere between 7-15% over last 5-10 year's is what some of the more senior driver's are saying. They blame it on the bonus. So that's why I'm asking if non bonus centers routes have changed over the same time frame.
As have our planned days. Used to be an average of 8.5 but now they try to send us out just under 9.5 each day.

Mr.Golden

Do you skip lunch to do that? Falsify records is doing so?

I ask this because we don't have bonus where I am, and you can't run like mad all day, working for free by not taking break, and still not run scratch. The bonus better be quite large or you are getting ripped off.

No I do take my hr lunch everyday! I already did the math if u work at least 30 yrs being full time u give UPS 1 yr worth of pay for free for not taking your break. I can 9 to 5 any rt that I've been trained on, do extra pickups and go back out to help a driver. Avg hrs range 55-59 weekly. Hell my first year ft at $27 I've made close to $90,000

brown bomber

brown bomber
back in the "good old days", my bonus route was a 10 hr. dispatch,..I would return to the building in 8.5 hrs,...this was taking sometimes taking a 90 minute lunch,..I used to run out of things to read, and search out other drivers to get a few extra stops. It was a heavily industrialized area, full of one row building after another. You would drive less than 100 ft. from one stop to the next. Drove 15 miles to the area, 15 miles back,..on a good day 12 miles on area.

Needless to say that area no longer exists, 75% vacancy. A super-sized grocery store now occupies a big chunk of that land...it was good while it lasted

No I do take my hr lunch everyday! I already did the math if u work at least 30 yrs being full time u give UPS 1 yr worth of pay for free for not taking your break. I can 9 to 5 any rt that I've been trained on, do extra pickups and go back out to help a driver. Avg hrs range 55-59 weekly. Hell my first year ft at $27 I've made close to $90,000
55-59 actual or with bonus? how many hours were bonus?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Why would the company give bonus if they thought it was costing them extra money?

I think they like bonus because it cuts wages. So really, the company is the one getting the bonus.

Mr.Golden

55-59 actual or with bonus? how many hours were bonus?

That's without bonus! Our center do not get bonuses. For example if I worked 9-5 and 1 hr under they will eventually p.m. dispatch me to do a pick up and help a driver. I will take my break just before I come the building. I review the results the next day and still scratch 30 mins to an hr. That's how I get my hours.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
That's without bonus! Our center do not get bonuses. For example if I worked 9-5 and 1 hr under they will eventually p.m. dispatch me to do a pick up and help a driver. I will take my break just before I come the building. I review the results the next day and still scratch 30 mins to an hr. That's how I get my hours.
Really no one here cares that you scratch.

Most of us don't even glance at their numbers. They mean nothing.

By The Book

Scratch in a bonus center is no minus or plus time next to your hours worked, it's blank. I would think a non bonus center would just pay you actual. I guess the reason for the over/ under is to show them if your working hard enough. In your case I guess if you want more hours work faster so you can go help someone else.

Mr.Golden

Scratch in a bonus center is no minus or plus time next to your hours worked, it's blank. I would think a non bonus center would just pay you actual. I guess the reason for the over/ under is to show them if your working hard enough. In your case I guess if you want more hours work faster so you can go help someone else.

Exactly but my only question is would a driver get bonus if he/she clocked out at 10:50pm with 30 mins under? Knowing that we can't work past 11pm or 10 if started early

gbpackman29

It's a lunch break, not a dinner break. Stop running all day. You're the reason why they cut routes.

OPTION3

I review the results the next day and still scratch 30 mins to an hr. That's how I get my hours.
The Best manager I ever had said, " If I had my way, my first day as a center manager, I would fire the first 10 drivers that look at the numbers in the AM. It would immediately eliminate 80% of the follow ups, 90% of lost time injuries, and allow me to justify (to my boss)ADDING routes in the long run." Kind of says it all

By The Book

Exactly but my only question is would a driver get bonus if he/she clocked out at 10:50pm with 30 mins under? Knowing that we can't work past 11pm or 10 if started early
. If your planned day on paper is 10 hours and you punch out in 8.5 hours you get paid 1.5 hours in bonus. Either at straight time or overtime depending on your supplement.

imwell

I'm as productive as the methods allow.

Yes. You would still receive 30mins of bonus pay above and beyond the the hours you actually worked that day. If you worked 11.9 hours that day, you will be paid for 12.4 hours. Bonus hours/time DO NOT apply towards the 60 hour rule. It's easy for UPS to show the DOT that any bonus paid that puts you over that limit is time the driver was not even "on the clock", let alone behind the wheel operating a UPS vehicle.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Doesn't matter. Bonus is only based on the plan.

We had a route that delivered multiple trailer loads in the morning before doing stops. It was often a 15/16 hour planned day. If we were bonus that route would of been a big money route.