Non-bonus center ops changed?

If your kid is getting a D on their report card...and they are trying their hardest would you punish them over and over? Would you add more homework even if they weren't getting it? So I ask you if I'm trying my hardest and still run 1hour of over allowed or greater is the company being unfair? Running your mouth? Sounds like a perfect example of an on road to me JMHO
Thank you for proving my point! Exactly why bonus drivers are needed. Some people are just better. I'm a bonus driver and have absolutely no problem helping other drivers who need it. That help wouldn't come if I wasn't getting bonus. Said to say is that I would now be the one getting punished because I get it better than others. My punishment being smaller paychecks.

boxwayne

I don't care if our center goes bonus or not. I work the same pace everyday. If I get finish early good, if I finish over whatever I don't care. Having less stress and being safe is way more important!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If your kid is getting a D on their report card...and they are trying their hardest would you punish them over and over? Would you add more homework even if they weren't getting it? So I ask you if I'm trying my hardest and still run 1hour of over allowed or greater is the company being unfair? Running your mouth? Sounds like a perfect example of an on road to me JMHO
Getting a D on a report card is a terrible example.

I want to be able to walk away from this job in 25 years. Not limp or crawl or waddle but walk. To be able to do that I can't go balls to the wall everyday.

Brownslave688

Thank you for proving my point! Exactly why bonus drivers are needed. Some people are just better. I'm a bonus driver and have absolutely no problem helping other drivers who need it. That help wouldn't come if I wasn't getting bonus. Said to say is that I would now be the one getting punished because I get it better than others. My punishment being smaller paychecks.
So you wouldn't work as hard if you weren't getting bonus?

Yeah you sound like a real stand up guy.

You don't get to choose who you go help. They say go help so and so and you do it. End of story.

Last edited:

imwell

I'm as productive as the methods allow.
I don't care if our center goes bonus or not. I work the same pace everyday. If I get finish early good, if I finish over whatever I don't care. Having less stress and being safe is way more important!

Exactly. This is a job of methods, NOT a job of production standards.

OPTION3

So you wouldn't work as hard if you weren't getting bonus?

Yeah you sound like a real stand up guy.

You don't get to choose who you go help. They say go help so and so and you do it. End of story.
I hate the term go to help.....I personally don't give a rip.....send me help or not....it's all OUR work....people like that sicken me frankly.....he will never get it.....they have EGO's to feed......do us all a favor.....go into management and fix everything

Brownslave688

I hate the term go to help.....I personally don't give a rip.....send me help or not....it's all OUR work....people like that sicken me frankly.....he will never get it.....they have EGO's to feed......do us all a favor.....go into management and fix everything
Yeah. There's a route I run that is in the red every single day. Look at morning dispatch the night before and it'll say 93 stops with a min of 90 and a max of 100. It'll have 130.

They could send me "help" every single day on that route because they overload it everyday. I don't care usually get off at 8:30-9 on it.

Then there's a split route I run that's always under dispatched. I usually take my full hour and rarely work more than 7.5 hours on it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
As I sit here reading all the responses to this post. I seem to believe that bonus is good for a center. The ones that seem to like bonus seem to have to defend themselves way to much. Why is it the ones who don't seem to think it's okay to be average or even worse below average. You need the bonus drivers so u can get your 8 hr request or because you fell behind and won't make 9.5. How is it ever okay to not work to the best of your ability. Would you tell your kids that the D on their report card is okay because numbers don't matter? So I ask those drivers is that honest or is it stealing? I am in no way saying running is what you should be doing but maybe you guys spend more time running your mouths than running your truck. I love my job. I love company. I love what the union is supposed to stand for! Protecting hard workers. Not to protect you from working hard.
A Great American!

If your kid is getting a D on their report card...and they are trying their hardest would you punish them over and over? Would you add more homework even if they weren't getting it? So I ask you if I'm trying my hardest and still run 1 hour of over allowed or greater is the company being unfair?
One can learn from good examples as well as poor ones:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Exactly. I am in a bonus center. Any route we have ever had that consistently achieved high, daily bonus (lets say 2+hours a day), have had the planned day numbers "re-cooked" so the exact same route/driver now have a tough time just making scratch, let alone attaining any meaningful bonus.
Reanalyzed is more correct.
There is no route with the correct allowances that can get 2 hours bonus a day working safely and giving proper service.

Brownslave688

Reanalyzed is more correct.
There is no route with the correct allowances that can get 2 hours bonus a day working safely and giving proper service.
The way I see it is no one should run under. Scratch is essentially the perfect day as far as ups is concerned.

Well my story is way different. I do get to choose. I also get to say" no". You know why? I'm that guy who doesn't mind helping. I actually love helping. I call and check at least 3 times a week before sneaking back to building. Just because I bonus doesn't mean ship. I have run an all business route with nothing but office buildings and apartments. Shop steward asks me if I was running? Told him kind of stupid to.run in an elevator. Maybe just maybe it's possible I'm just better than other people. I have no problem with people working at their pace, as long as it's at a pace that doesn't involve B.S.ing. I don't get how some drivers no matter how much or how little they have constantly come in at 9.5. Just saying.......

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I don't get how some drivers no matter how much or how little they have skip lunch and consistently come in with 8 or less....just saying.....
Some kids are proud and appreciative to have their Dad come see them play ball.
Some kids probably appreciate their Dad not coming to see them play ball.

OPTION3

Some kids are proud and appreciative to have their Dad come see them play ball.
Some kids probably appreciate their Dad not coming to see them play ball.
And some dads are working 80 hours a week in a middle management job and never get to see them play....too bad so sad deluder

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The way I see it is no one should run under. Scratch is essentially the perfect day as far as ups is concerned.
Not exactly according to Industrial Engineers inside and outside UPS.
The allowances are developed with the belief that they provide +/- 5% correct planned time allowances for 95% of the drivers 95% of the time.

So, with 20 drivers on any normal day, 19 of the planned allowances should be correct to within +/- 5%.

19 of every 20 drivers, on average, should expect that 1 day out of 20 that his/her planned day is outside of the +/- 5% parameters.

1 out of 20 drivers can expect that their planned day is outside the +/- 5% parameter.

The allowances are based on a steady work pace, using good work methods with perfect knowledge of their area. Included in that allowance is about 15% to account for unforeseen issues, tiredness, and a percent of problem packages.

Perfect knowledge of their area is knowing where every stop is, where at that location to deliver and name of consignee at business stops, etc. It also assumes the driver is aware of and plans for closed roads, washed out bridges, etc.