Non-union employee benefits

Andorian440

If your benefits had been cut this past year, you wouldn't be too happy about it either. If the company is going to make cuts, shouldn't everyone share in them? That would be fair, but the union people would strike. You driver's will be sticking around, because you wont have other options even in the best economy. Not that I blame you; pulling in $80,000 dollars a year with just a high school diploma is a pretty sweet deal.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
If your benefits had been cut this past year, you wouldn't be too happy about it either. If the company is going to make cuts, shouldn't everyone share in them? That would be fair, but the union people would strike. You driver's will be sticking around, because you wont have other options even in the best economy. Not that I blame you; pulling in $80,000 dollars a year with just a high school diploma is a pretty sweet deal.
Listen dont attack the drivers, we have been getting our noose tightened for YEARS,, you have one option ,,adapt!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Won't have other options??

Listen, "skilled" boy, this may surprise you, but there are quite a few college graduates who drive package cars, including yours truly. Yes, it has been 21 years since I have seen the inside of a classroom (other than my kids' parent/teacher conferences) and I would need to take a few classes, but I do have options. BTW, I didn't gross $70K this year.

Boy, you really are full of yourself, aren't you?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Don't get pissed at me because you wasted your education.
The purpose of "getting an education" is to make more money than if one did not.
UPS Drivers make more than most people with "an education".

Most people I have met with an education don't like their jobs any more than the typical UPS Driver.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Don't get pissed at me because you wasted your education.

I didn't waste anything. I am actually pretty good at Trivial Pursuit and kick ass when I watch Jeopardy. The best part is that I can spot a pompous, full of himself jackass a mile away.

I hear you can get your updated resume printed at a discount at the UPS Store.

Andorian440

Yet all they do is complain and complain about how unfair THEY are being treated. Poor guys, they have to work overtime and get paid time-and-a-half or double-time. Take your union away and see how quickly YOUR benefits get cut. In fact, see how quickly a lot of you get reduced to "independent contracters."

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I didn't waste anything. I am actually pretty good at Trivial Pursuit and kick ass when I watch Jeopardy. The best part is that I can spot a pompous, full of himself jackass a mile away.

I hear you can get your updated resume printed at a discount at the UPS Store.

He gets a lot of practice shaving every morning.

randomUPSISer

Okay...

There are 11 elements.

4 are related to cost or profitability
3 are related to growth
2 are related to service
1 is safety
1 is sales

From a weighted standpoint, cost, revenue, and profitability account for 60% of the weight.
Safety and service make up 40%.

I don't think its "extremely lopsided" for profit to be 60% of the balance. If it were 80% or 90%, I would agree.

25 years ago, it was ALL about cost and profit. Tell me which elements you would change.

P-Man

Id probably remove some elements from financial, and add some to customer and people. The "balanced" scorecard concept is supposed to strike a balance between the four elements. You just said that it wasnt balanced.

The ONLY "people" item on the balanced scorecard is "Dont hurt ourselves". I realize there are alot of drivers, pre-loaders, and hub package handlers in the company. If you arent union though, that really doesnt apply much to you. How about something like "developing future leaders" or "retaining good people"? Seems like if you arent a union laborer, the balanced scorecard has nothing for you in regards to "people".

25 years ago it might have been weighted even more towards cost and profit, I dont know. (Was there even a balanced scorecard concept back then??) However, years ago we certainly did develop, train, and do our best to recruit and retain the best. Today, it seems we are happy to let "the best" go... they cost too much anyway ;)

Last edited:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
The purpose of "getting an education" is to make more money than if one did not.
UPS Drivers make more than most people with "an education".

Most people I have met with an education don't like their jobs any more than the typical UPS Driver.

BTW, I, too, have an education.