Non Union Upsers In Right To Work States

BrownBrokeDown

They're shuffled around the hub to help whatever area or belt needs help, getting sent to unload trailers only to be loading those same boxes 30 minutes later when they return to an egress infested belt.

I have never had this issue, but this happens alot at my hub. As a pickoff it tends to screw me over as well. I don't recall seeing anything in the contract against this. Is there something I missed? It's very common to see a number of loaders sent to unload for the 1st 30-60 mins. and assorted times throughout the night, and brought back after everything is screwed.

BrownBrokeDown

Contractually, in RTW states, union stewards are given 15 minutes on the clock to hand out union cards and encourage new hires to join the union. If this isn't being done in your hub, then the local needs to be informed because that's the first and best chance for us to sign up new members.

We also do quite a bit of internal organizing in RTW states, where the locals puts stewards on lost-time and we sit outside the hub talking with members and signing up those that are willing.

I will have been here 3 years in a couple of weeks, and have never seen any of this on my shift...

kingOFchester

In my center itsmostly the democrats that cause all if the problems. In fact, most if the people I described in my two previous posts are democrats.

Democrats and Republicans. Its like one nasty tasting stew that we are forced to eat and only causes Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Pink slips to all of them!!

RealPerson

Yeah, taking personal initiative is HILARIOUS. LOL!

Well hell, let's file our own Grieviences. Oh wait we have to do that now.

Humm, let's do the only talking at the hearings, oh wait that is what happens here.

Sorry, but I believe the UNION should have a presence at the facility it is representing...

I know all locals are not like mine or the guy you were talking to, but you Need to see our side as well.

cynic

I have never had this issue, but this happens alot at my hub. As a pickoff it tends to screw me over as well. I don't recall seeing anything in the contract against this. Is there something I missed? It's very common to see a number of loaders sent to unload for the 1st 30-60 mins. and assorted times throughout the night, and brought back after everything is screwed.

I don't know if/how this is addressed even in the current contract - what I've heard is that a loader coming back to unload and then being sent back to load is called "double touch" since you have one job classification performing work in two areas. (Or a loader unloading and being sent up to load 30-60 minutes later.) Again, I don't know if there is any truth to "double touch" being a contractual issue/violation or if that is just an "urban legend".

Any thoughts on that?

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I don't know if/how this is addressed even in the current contract - what I've heard is that a loader coming back to unload and then being sent back to load is called "double touch" since you have one job classification performing work in two areas. (Or a loader unloading and being sent up to load 30-60 minutes later.) Again, I don't know if there is any truth to "double touch" being a contractual issue/violation or if that is just an "urban legend".

Any thoughts on that?
Work as directed who give s a flying friend--- as long as they are teamsters and not sups .In our hub unload guys walk out the door while sups are helping with the load.Efficient use of the "teamster" work force would be to move people to the work. Silly me that would take intelligent management.But then again sups hours do not go against their magical number. A method to their madness?

RealPerson

Any thoughts on that?

Work as directed at an honest pace for an honest pay.
Doesn't matter if you are touching a box 10 times.

Now, if they are taking or placing them in a Bid or skilled job then there are different things.

I was thinking when you first told the story, that when the worker was placed back to his first spot and it was egress hell, he was getting written up for it..

If the worker is working harder than the rest, expect to be given more work, and more work and well you get the idea.. Then called a sucker in the supervisors office. If you get hurt or your body breaks down faster than the average worker, go cash in those at a boy's the sups gave that person...

This isn't directed towards you, just in general...

Oh, I do believe they have to take the Lowest Senior person from the area first... If they do not, you still have to go do the work and then just file on it.. anyway

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
LOL what a Joke.......

The Union will never be perfect, I'm certainly not a perfect Steward, but I think its better to be part of the solution and affect change however incremental that may be. Complaining on a forum won't change anything, visiting your hall & voicing your concerns to the business agent might. The Teamsters have never been accused of being a hand-holding, butt-wiping, touchy feely organization.

cynic

1. The workers they move around to load/unload are typically the lowest (or lower) seniority PT workers - not union members.
2. Sort aisle union members are sent to unload trailers when people call in - and then go back and sort the mess that's waiting for them.
3. It is egress hell whenever a loader returns to their position after being sent to unload.

File for what please?

EmraldArcher

Considering 47% of the union membership didn't want the new contract the IBT negotiated for them I would be bracing myself for a noticeable drop in dues if I were the union bean counters.

preload1

Tapping an aluminum baseball bat on the ground in close proximity to a scab will change their opinion. The others get to go on disability. Win win!!

And un-holstering a 229P Sig Sauer and chambering a .40 cal. bullet and firing said bullet into your chest will cause you to drop that aluminum baseball bat.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Well hell, let's file our own Grieviences. Oh wait we have to do that now.

Humm, let's do the only talking at the hearings, oh wait that is what happens here.

Sorry, but I believe the UNION should have a presence at the facility it is representing...

I know all locals are not like mine or the guy you were talking to, but you Need to see our side as well.

You know it seems like every thread I read that you have posted in your bashing your local and your BA. Let me ask a few questions.

When was the last time you went to a meeting?

How many agents are in your local?

How long has your BA been in his current position?

What did your BA do before he was your BA?

How many units does your local cover?

How many units does you BA handle?

Of those units how many of them have contracts that are currently open and being negotiated?

How many contracts has your BA successfully negotiated at your local?

My guess is that you will not have an answer to any of these questions, yet yo still profess to know so much about the inner workings of your local and how lazy they all seem to be!!

My final comment to you is, YOUR LOCAL IS ONLY AS STRONG AS IT'S MEMBERSHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stink219

Tapping an aluminum baseball bat on the ground in close proximity to a scab will change their opinion. The others get to go on disability. Win win!!

And un-holstering a 229P Sig Sauer and chambering a .40 cal. bullet and firing said bullet into your chest will cause you to drop that aluminum baseball bat.
I'll take my chances scab. I've been persuading people for a long time for this union.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Considering 47% of the union membership didn't want the new contract the IBT negotiated for them I would be bracing myself for a noticeable drop in dues if I were the union bean counters.

47% of the 60 some thousand that voted. The others assumed it would pass as usual. I would think the yes voters will come out this time.

cynic

47% of the 60 some thousand that voted. The others assumed it would pass as usual. I would think the yes voters will come out this time.

Aside from those that did not receive a ballot, if a member did not vote the first time they should not get the opportunity to vote the second or third time. Yes, I know, screwy initial distribution with package return address saying freight, etc, but how the hell unmotivated is a person not to return the ballot? Why do you pay dues?