Non UPS andmirer

I've been stocking your forum a lot looking at delivery efficiency, and you all are amazing. I work in produce home delivery and am embarrassed to post numbers I have seen.

I hope its not inappropriate to hop on here. I have a buddy that works for UPS and I normally bug him with questions, but I guess he finally is driving and super busy with the holiday. As well, some alternate opinions are great.

I'm working on some home delivery data and looked over the thread on how many stops in a day. I'm curious how I should look at population density in comparison to possible deliveries a day. For example, if I estimate 100 stops and 200 deliveries in an area with a population density of 50 residents sq/mile, how should this number be fluctuated for an area with 150 residents sq/mile? What is drive time vs stop time?

Its box's of produce for perspective.

Looking over that thread I didn't notice much difference in miles driven vs stops per day. But maybe I am reading it wrong.

Thanks in advance, and you guys should get refrigerated trucks so I can let the pro's do this!

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Stocking???
Yep.
Stocking.jpg

lurking? I'm just local produce not grocery store delivery. I was reading something about that business and they only do 15 stops in a route due to 1 hour delivery windows. Interesting.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
lurking? I'm just local produce not grocery store delivery. I was reading something about that business and they only do 15 stops in a route due to 1 hour delivery windows. Interesting.
That's like Saturday air deliveries here. The range you cover is much larger and everything on the truck has a commit time so you have to keep everyone pruned to about 15 stops or less.
Stocking.jpg

undies

We don't use numbers based on population per square mile. We have a set area that generally gets a certain number of delivery stops. If the number goes too high or low, the load is usually adjusted to maintain the numbers.

PT Car Washer

Area knowledge plays a huge part in the equation. Knowing exactly where you are going every stop versus hunting for every stop. Also traffic can be huge. Area , time of day, commercial or residential.

I'll wear stalkings if that's what your into? I'm an uneducated dirt farmer and can't spell. Someones gotta grow the food.

That's a good point. Business is weekly repeat so that should improve.

With time I hope to develop that type of system, knowing delivery possibilities for an area. I'm highly curious how you all do it.

I'm doing restaurants early in the morning, reloading and hitting houses. Try and get my window right for traffic.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I've been stocking your forum a lot looking at delivery efficiency, and you all are amazing. I work in produce home delivery and am embarrassed to post numbers I have seen.

I hope its not inappropriate to hop on here. I have a buddy that works for UPS and I normally bug him with questions, but I guess he finally is driving and super busy with the holiday. As well, some alternate opinions are great.

I'm working on some home delivery data and looked over the thread on how many stops in a day. I'm curious how I should look at population density in comparison to possible deliveries a day. For example, if I estimate 100 stops and 200 deliveries in an area with a population density of 50 residents sq/mile, how should this number be fluctuated for an area with 150 residents sq/mile? What is drive time vs stop time?

Its box's of produce for perspective.

Looking over that thread I didn't notice much difference in miles driven vs stops per day. But maybe I am reading it wrong.

Thanks in advance, and you guys should get refrigerated trucks so I can let the pro's do this!

Thanks for stalking and complementing our work.
Areas are based on stops per hour, not on population density.
You might have a section of town where you can do 20 stops/hr, another you can do 35 stps/hr
It's all based on how close houses are, long driveways, the way neighborhoods are planned, condos/apartments.
Business areas are based on traffic flow, parking, building types, docks, etc.

jbg77

Well ive got mostly business and its all big and ugly and takes me quite a while to get the bulk off. One day i ran 130 stops and was done by 6. Another day i ran 90 and didnt get back till 730. Same route just big heavy packages.

20 stops/hr! That seems like so much, once every 3 min! And I cant believe the business ones, 90 seems like a lot.

See I'm looking by city and county, I don't even have the capabilities to break down within a city, without getting into ups's system (I wont if you're watching)

So I guess as a general question, would a rural area get half the stops possible as a standard suburb? 75%? 25%?

Its like teaching a blind man to read.

PT Car Washer

If you will look at UPS delivery trucks they are built to stand up, pop the bulkhead door, grab the package and jump out the side door with out opening it. Run up to the house, run back, jump into the driver seat and repeat 30 times an hour for 10 hours on a tight resi route. With the U Haul rentals you will only do a 1/3 of the stops even with area knowledge.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
20 stops/hr! That seems like so much, once every 3 min! And I cant believe the business ones, 90 seems like a lot.

See I'm looking by city and county, I don't even have the capabilities to break down within a city, without getting into ups's system (I wont if you're watching)

So I guess as a general question, would a rural area get half the stops possible as a standard suburb? 75%? 25%?

Its like teaching a blind man to read.
The more driving to/between stops, the less you can do.
You're trying to compare your business with UPS or Post Office. You can't, we have more stop density.
You need to talk to water, furniture, flower, pizza delivery people in your area to get the answers you need.
Your vague questions can't be answered because you are comparing delivering apples to delivering oranges. PUN INTENDED :wink-very:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Package density has many factors besides population. Such factors are median income, average age of population, nearby brick and mortar stores, to name a few.