NorCal hub goes 30,000 days injury free?

GoneBrown

Logging in to the Upsers site this morning I noticed the banner at the top showing a picture of a NorCal sort holding a banner reading, "Local Sort 30,000 Safe Workday No Injury."

Then the caption below reads, "... celebrates 30,000 safe work days. No injuries since June 2009."

Does anyone else see the problem with this?

tre305

When I logged on this morning to check my pay stub I honestly thought it said "local sort". I usually take a minute to read em but just over looked it this morning. If so that's freaking crazy. Most my center has had since I've been with the company is a little over 100 days inside.

A

anonymous6

Logging in to the Upsers site this morning I noticed the banner at the top showing a picture of a NorCal sort holding a banner reading, "Local Sort 30,000 Safe Workday No Injury."

Then the caption below reads, "... celebrates 30,000 safe work days. No injuries since June 2009."

no. you muliply number of employees by work days. ex. 600 days by 50 employees equals 30000 safe work days. or are there several hundred employees?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

upsers.com is down at the moment so I can't verify the story but cumulative safe work days are calculated by multiplying the number of employees by the number of days worked without an injury.

mitchemracing4

Not to take anything away from that number ( any day without an injury is a great day !) But I hate to see UPSers.com put up numbers like that when there are hubs that are gaining huge safe work day numbers and are never recognized . Our preload went 2 years without and injury , something like 90 some thousand safe work days . And no one ever said a word about our accomplishment .

rod

Retired 22 years
Is that 30,000 work days without someone reporting an accident because they felt it would put a target on their back? If everyone reported every accident "no matter how minor", like all the safety posters say, I seriously doubt a center could make it through a single day. I bet everyone on here could tell a story about some rookie being talked out of filing an injury report by being told to just give it a day or two and they will be better.

Bullschitt

HubBub

Is that 30,000 work days without someone reporting an accident because they felt it would put a target on their back? If everyone reported every accident "no matter how minor", like all the safety posters say, I seriously doubt a center could make it through a single day. I bet everyone on here could tell a story about some rookie being talked out of filing an injury report by being told to just give it a day or two and they will be better.

UPS management, true to their love of "fudgeable" numbers, can turn a big percentage of legitimate injuries into something that doesn't show up on paper.

Or maybe it's just some UPS voodoo healing going on.

jaker

trolling
So no injuries since 2009 saved the company a crap load of money and for all that you get a breakfast omelet

Yeah that sounds fair

A

anonymous6

i have been working 44 years without a lost time injury. ( been injured many times but never missed work because of it ) one time I was in the emergency room for 7 hrs , went home , slept and drove feeder that night.

i deserve something.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
My building hit 100k days a year or two back.. they bought cheap steak and fed the sort, had high ups from district there. It was a big deal. Gotta hand it to my building's training/safety department. They are probably among the best in the country at suppressing injury reports and intimidating/begging people not to report getting hurt on the job.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
For example, there was a guy that got hurt going up a defective ladder a few years ago. Had to get massive shoulder surgery and would be out 6+ months.. sort manager allowed him to report to work daily, clock in, go home and would verify him for his 3 1/2 hour gurantee in exchange for not reporting a lost-time injury. This went on for about a year. We had a safety committee member get hit my an improperly stacked piece of hardware.. had to get stitches. Was begged/convinced not to report that one. A FT combo was threatened with termination for dishonesty over reporting an injury. The list goes on and on.