Northern Lights tonight all across Canada and northern USA !

klein

Für Meno :)
Here is your chance to take nice pics of the northern lights tonight.
Yes, that includes you too, Upstate, and that other fellow in Washington.
And many more here that live in the northern US states and Canada.

Here is the article :

0803lights.jpg

Stargazing doesn’t get much better than this. Tonight, the northern lights are expected to make an appearance in the night sky across Canada and the northern United States, thanks to a spectacular eruption on the surface of the Sun

Read more: http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/0...-northern-lights-across-canada/#ixzz0vZ8g7mmH

rod

Retired 22 years
they are quite common in the winter around here but can't say I've ever noticed them in the summer.

klein

they are quite common in the winter around here but can't say I've ever noticed them in the summer.

If you can, stay up and look into the sky tonight.
I have seen them once before in early September... and the whole sky was flared up.
But, yes, normally only in winter.

If I see them from my patio, I'll take a drive down the road to an empty field, and try to make some good pics.
But, I think my cam is too cheap to make night pics, but, I'll read the instuctions on how to change the settings for those kind of shots.

rod

Retired 22 years
I like being out on a frozen lake at night. Something about ice fishing, having a few beers and watching the northern lights that is really amazing. Actually you don't need to include the beer but around here it is unAmerican to fish without a supply of it on hand.

[video=youtube;FcfWsj9OnsI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcfWsj9OnsI[/video]

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have wanted to see the Northern Lights my whole life. I am hoping that they are visible tonight in my area (NW Oregon). I'm on vacation so I can stay up as late as I want!

P

pickup

I saw them once in the new jersey area, the sun was having some nice coronal ejections a few days before so it was just a matter of time before those charged particles interacted with the magnetic field of the earth .

On a some related note, in the 1800s , the sun really had a field day and the resulting ejection of particles made its way towards earth and burnt out telegraph lines. If such an event happened today, what it would do to technology would be a disaster. Also, if such an event occurred , only one of the side of the earth would take the hit as the "dark" side of the earth would be spared. Think about that: If Russia got nailed and the U.S. didn't or vice versa. The side that got hit would be very vulnerable until it could patch up its communications and electronics. I know, old cold war mentality perhaps. I hope so.

DS

Fenderbender
I have seen them before but it was more white than green.Quite awe inspiring.
The article states that Wed or Thurs will be the best to watch.
It's really cloudy here tonight anyway.
Since they are called the northern lights,The rights to see them are owned by Canada.
I'm afraid that it will be pay per view.
Watch them for 5 minutes $12.97 USD watch all night for $19.99.
To avoid exchange rate problems,send all money orders Big Babooba enterprises.
Half of the commission will go to the help Obama help America fund,the other half
to unemployed Edmontonians in distress relief charity.

klein

Good one DS.

Looks like I will have a fat chance seeing them, if it stays like this.
Totally overcasted and raining :(

bigbrownhen

I would like to see them someday, but I am a little north of Hoax, but still too far south. For those of you who can see them, enjoy.

over9five

Staff member
I've seen the Northern Lights twice in my life. Once when I was about 17 in Central Mass, and once about 10 years ago at Moms in Northern Maine.

It is an awesome sight.

klein

We might get a second chance tonight.
I'll keep my eyes open, but it looks like it passed by during the day in my timezone :(

DS

Fenderbender
The sun farts won't arrive till tomorrow or Friday.
93 million miles in 3 days is pretty fast I guess.

klein

See, another example of falsh reporting..... they write, talk, speak, before they know the truth.
I was wondering why nothing was on local news here.
But it was on CTV, and the National Post newspaper..... all wrong :(

Looking forward to those farts arriving :)