Northern New England Pkg Drivers & Feeders...Mandated Lunches??

Do You Take A Full Lunch at the Correct Time Everyday?

• Yea

Votes: 21 77.8%
  • Ney

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
WL, I don't want to get into a pissing match. I do write them down and you're wrong. Sorry.
Nike, I do have a college degree. I am not working off the clock. I understand the argument about creating routes and/or jobs (even though I have yet to see this theory proven) and I would plainly just prefer to have the option of not pulling over to the middle of the day for an hour. I would much rather have that time at the end of my day to spend with my family. If that makes me selfish so be it. Not sure about the comment of "playing into the company's hands", it is the company who is trying to make me take the lunch. Again, I Do Not Run My Lunch, I Leave No Money On The Table And I Inherit No Liability For Working Off The Clock. I Merely Do Not Take A Lunch Period. That's All.
Good luck bud. Try to stay out of the emergency room.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

This is simple in my eyes........unions fought and continue to fight for vacation,sick days,paid holidays,overtime pay and lunch for employees......companies fight to take those things away from us......any of the things that you give up on your own is depressing.....and what's more depressing is that people who work through lunch don't even understand how bad it is

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I think collge degrees should be required to work as drivers in this company as it's amazing how many fools we have working among us. In a hub with 300+ drivers where they all take lunch adds at least 30+ more routes.
In other topics people whine about the time it takes to become a driver or the lack of work as a temp or part time driver. Yet right here selfish drivers caring only about themselves play into the company's hands by working thru lunch. Rest assured you will be screwed hard if you get in trouble or in an accident while "working off the clock" during lunch.
I don't think it really adds routes, perhaps to a degree, after the cascading impact. Adding 9.5 pay and more people on the list, yes. If every single driver suddenly took all their breaks and lunches every day, the avg would go up to 9.7 from 9.2 or 9.4 or something....there would be the same number of routes. I.E. and middle management would make sure of it.

Gimme Danger

Every driver taking Lunch and breaks like the contract states, along with 9.5 list sign ups and enforcement, and active 2 monthly 8 hour requests, will create jobs. Period.
Running lunches and working 12 hour days everyday will reduce jobs, and increase injuries.

UPFNS

WBWDFU, I'm not feeling that not taking a lunch is going to jeopardize the union fighting for other benefits and again if you want to take your lunch by all means do so. I highly agree that running your lunch is extremely depressing however this goes on in every center on a daily basis. Guys/Gals that run their lunch and don't care about the financial aspect skew the numbers which in most situations will make them look great on paper. Some view it as a win/win if money is not an issue. The company loves these folks.
Sleeve_meet_heart, Well said. Agree wholeheartedly.
GD, I've yet to see that theory work here. I know many who would disagree with you vehemently. This is a big reason why so many simply would rather not take a lunch.
NXA, It is my understanding that DOT 30 requirement only applies to the feeder drivers. They skirt around it by combining their 2-10 minute paid breaks with a 10 minute lunch to fulfill their obligation.
WL, It is called the New England Supplemental Agreement. It includes: Maine,NH,VT,Mass,Conn & RI. Hope that answers your question.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I thought it was a DOT requirement, and an HOS violation if we don't have half-hour lunch punched before the 8th hour. Updated HOS 30-Minute Break Enforcement Policy for Short-Haul Drivers

Is this not the law in NNE?

What I'm failing to understand is how our contract language trumps federal law?
Most package car drivers fall under one (or both) of the short haul exceptions to that rule. They operate within a 100 mile air radius of center, or are punched out (off duty) within 12 hours of punching in.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
WBWDFU, I'm not feeling that not taking a lunch is going to jeopardize the union fighting for other benefits and again if you want to take your lunch by all means do so. I highly agree that running your lunch is extremely depressing however this goes on in every center on a daily basis. Guys/Gals that run their lunch and don't care about the financial aspect skew the numbers which in most situations will make them look great on paper. Some view it as a win/win if money is not an issue. The company loves these folks.
Sleeve_meet_heart, Well said. Agree wholeheartedly.
GD, I've yet to see that theory work here. I know many who would disagree with you vehemently. This is a big reason why so many simply would rather not take a lunch.
NXA, It is my understanding that DOT 30 requirement only applies to the feeder drivers. They skirt around it by combining their 2-10 minute paid breaks with a 10 minute lunch to fulfill their obligation.
WL, It is called the New England Supplemental Agreement. It includes: Maine,NH,VT,Mass,Conn & RI. Hope that answers your question.
I know what it is. I just can understand for the life of me how you don't understand how running lunches destroys jobs.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
The intent of Code 05 is to get off the clock as quickly as possible.
Use to get code 5 around here all the time a few years ago.. Now not hardly ever, the code 5ers would end up helping or doing extra heavy pickups and ended up being a full day and screwed up managements already bs numbers so it has stopped...