Not a 30 year job?

Overpaid Union Thug

I'd like to think I can pull off 30+ by doing everything as easy on my body as possible; using handrail, not carrying packages up and down car steps, using hand cart for anything remotely heavy, etc. Biggest problem if I can't is that I don't think I'd remember how to do anything else for work.

Exactly. Following as many methods as possible is the key. Some people wait until it's too late.

MC0493

That's pretty much how I work. Come in, do my job to the best of my abilities and not really give a :censored2: after that. I'll try to please everyone and meet their numbers but I won't kill myself doing it.

ITwannabe

T
I would suggest following the personal safety guidelines closely.
Lifting, carrying and other physical strains all take their toll over decades.
UPS stresses safe driving but the individual should obsess on their own safety.
70 pounds is the limit for good reason ... Get help from the customer.

Most of the safety rules at UPS are a joke...yes the hand rail helps and you should use your cart more often....but tucking your mirror, pulling the handbrake are repetative and wear your joints quickly....also stepping off backwards while holding the handrail is much safer and easier on your knees and shoulders. I don't care what corporate says....I trust the opinion of a physical trainer over someone in management. I mean look at the stretches...we lean backwards to stretch out back? Did they ever hear of touching your toes? Leaning back contracts your back not stretch....UPS doesn't care about your health....they care about checking boxes to benefit then on their insurance claims etc.

35years

Gravy route
Safety rules they don't teach:

Always step off truck backwards holding handrail and box on floor

Never fold in mirror

Carry heavies on shoulder; avoid carrying in front, or better yet carry all over 30 lbs with cart

Roll boxes out the back door on to cart

Never pull loaded cart up stairs.

Don't bother climbing porch steps.

Don't bend back or knees either to lower/drop pkg

Hold pkgs with thumb neutral...joint at the base of thumb wears out more than any other joint , including knees

Pivot in seat before standing up.

Never fasten seat belt with 1 arm.

Move heavies from under shelves before lifting

Never enter/exit on driver's side

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Safety rules they don't teach:

Always step off truck backwards holding handrail and box on floor,

Nope.

Never fold in mirror.

Why not?

Carry heavies on shoulder; avoid carrying in front, or better yet carry all over 30 lbs with cart.

Shoulder is not in your power zone.

Roll boxes out the back door on to cart.

What if the delivery is to be made out of the passenger door?

Never pull loaded cart up stairs.

Would you prefer that I push it up the stairs?

Don't bother climbing porch steps.

So we should toss the package on to the porch?

Don't bend back or knees either to lower/drop pkg.

Bend at waist and drop?

Hold pkgs with thumb neutral...joint at the base of thumb wears out more than any other joint , including knees.

WTH is "thumb neutral"?

Pivot in seat before standing up.

Yup.

Never fasten seat belt with 1 arm.

I do it all day long.

Move heavies from under shelves before lifting.

Well......duh.

Never enter/exit on driver's side.

It is perfectly acceptable to do this with smaller packages.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I never fold in the mirror- too dangerous to stick my hand - or head out to see if a truck is coming.

Carry at th waist - yes, shoulder is not safe. Can really screw up your back. Use your power zone.

Roll heavy boxes or slide out rear door when possible - out and drop. I don't move it when it hits the ground. They ordered it, they can put it where they want.

Only use hand cart - one a day for the high school. Which will be getting all of the books next week or so. Level groung only.

Climb porch - never go up stairs. Put it down then slide to the door. Truck stairs are enough.

Seat belt - had mechanic install a hook on the left side of the dash. Grab with left hand. Transfer to the right as I'm sitting.

Driver door - never go out driver door. Also cross the road in front. Only cause I can see over the front of the truck. Use the truck as a space cusion.

I never fold in the mirror- too dangerous to stick my hand - or head out to see if a truck is coming.

Carry at th waist - yes, shoulder is not safe. Can really screw up your back. Use your power zone.

Roll heavy boxes or slide out rear door when possible - out and drop. I don't move it when it hits the ground. They ordered it, they can put it where they want.

Only use hand cart - one a day for the high school. Which will be getting all of the books next week or so. Level groung only.

Climb porch - never go up stairs. Put it down then slide to the door. Truck stairs are enough.

Seat belt - had mechanic install a hook on the left side of the dash. Grab with left hand. Transfer to the right as I'm sitting.

Driver door - never go out driver door. Also cross the road in front. Only cause I can see over the front of the truck. Use the truck as a space cusion.
I love how they tell you to avoid end range motions but ask you to tuck your mirror in 150 times a day.