Not a 'bonus' driver...

H

hseofpayne

I preloaded, and it did not take me long to learn what businesses were closed what days. All I had to do was listen to my drivers and learn. It is not a difficult thing to do, if you give a damn.
Thought it was funny(ha ha funny) that you would end your post this way with your name being "dilligaf" !!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you know where many business owners live, on the days they are closed, why not leave them on the car and indirect them to their house on trace?

I would love to listen to the irate phone call and then be a fly on the wall during your meeting with the center manager to discuss indirecting 10 commercial pkgs to the business owners' house. And people gave me crap about using CLO HOL?

I would love to listen to the irate phone call and then be a fly on the wall during your meeting with the center manager to discuss indirecting 10 commercial pkgs to the business owners' house. And people gave me crap about using CLO HOL?

I wouldn't indirect 10 boxes of paper to someones house or even the business next door unless the consignee asks me to. I probably wouldn't indirect anything more than I can carry.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I think if you indirected 10 boxes of paper to the owner's house, you'd definately be on their list, and I don't mean their Christmas list either. LOL.
Big, that would be my 10 boxes of paper and your right, I would not be on the xmas list. However I do have a little more common sense than that and would never consider doing this. Hence, the need to have known clo not loaded in the first place. It is a waste of space and time. Most of the businesses that I deal with don't care if they don't get their pkgs until the next day, and the ones that do, already have the drivers phone numbers and will call them. Or will let the driver know the day before that they are expecting a pkg the next day. This is the part of customer service that goes above and beyond the company.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I don't want 10 cases of paper in my truck for a business that's known clo. just on the off-hand chance they might be open. If they are known clo I don't go there, unless preload loads it and I have to.
My quote was taken out of context to some degree. I never said I would indirect 10 cases of paper to a home.

This is the truth...however for some reason in our building...even after PAS/EDD are told...it never sticks!
Things that have to manually changed in EDD like the known clo and business stops that are PALed out of trace on purpose sometimes are removed from EDD because the system has had an upgrade from the post office (this is where we get our data base for EDD) and have to be added again.

BigBrownSanta

dilligaf and 1989, I apologize if either of you took offense to my post. There was no malice intended. I never expected either of you would actually indirect 10 boxes of paper.

In my mind, I pictured the owner pulling into their driveway after enjoying their day off at the mall or the lake and finding 10 boxes of paper on their porch. I then pictured their car loaded down with paper and shooting sparks and the tires rubbing out on the wheel wells on every bump in the road on their way to work, and then after they arrive at their business, having to carry those 10 boxes all the way to the back to the stock room.

Maybe I should"ve used a smiley....

:wink:

:happy-very:

dilligaf and 1989, I apologize if either of you took offense to my post. There was no malice intended. I never expected either of you would actually indirect 10 boxes of paper.

In my mind, I pictured the owner pulling into their driveway after enjoying their day off at the mall or the lake and finding 10 boxes of paper on their porch. I then pictured their car loaded down with paper and shooting sparks and the tires rubbing out on the wheel wells on every bump in the road on their way to work, and then after they arrive at their business, having to carry those 10 boxes all the way to the back to the stock room.

Maybe I should"ve used a smiley....

:wink:

:happy-very:

No offense, I picture the paper stacked up like a brick wall at the front door. That would be funny.:laughing:

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
In Mass. most hair salons and barber shops are clo on mondays, I allways sheeted them as future remarks column clo mondays also nda non deliv attempt for resi big dog, icey hill just be honest if they question you on it!!! its only cardboard, hopefully it's not a heart or a lung.... I agree with new englander dont fudge any thing

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Big, I was not offended at all. It would be tempting to do to some business owners though. Your potrayal of moving 10 cases of paper is hilarious.

RockdaleEddie

Optimized
I had a bulk stop of 12 NDA's going to a new business... They were closed the first day I attempted them. The next day I tail loaded the same stop after the sort was done. I show up to the stop, and my info notice is still sitting there from yesterday, so I sheet them all up as CL2, leave another info notice, service cross them, and take off to finish my air. On both days I come back through that same area about 2 hrs later, just to try and get rid of the stop, but both days I came up empty handed on the second attempt. I did'nt rescan everything a second time each day, just stopped in to see if they would be there.

I'm not a fan of cross delivering a bulk stop, unless getting the okay from the person/company the day prior or something. But there is one other business that shares the parking lot with this new business going in... And send agains are frowned upon so I asked the guy at the other business if he would mind signing for the stop. He told me he really did'nt have the room for all those boxes in his building and that he was'nt interested in taking the stop...

Towards the end of my day I get a call from one of my on roads wanting to know what time my ETA for when I'll be back at the building is...I tell him, and as a courtesy to him, I tell him about the stop with 12 packages that I'm gonna be bringing back. Just wanted to give him a heads up for the conference calls on monday when they crunch all the numbers and I had all these send agains. He informs me that I will tank the centers numbers with that stop and asks if I tried cross delivering it, told him I had. He tells me to have the clerks set up the scanners when I get in, and have them scan the stop as 'known to be closed' and then go into edit on my board and void out the stop, so that it does'nt show up in the system as a send again.

So now I have 12 packages that I loaded, sheeted, left a info notice, service crossed, and will be unloading for the clerks... And i wont get credit for any of it in my planned day. I pointed this out to him, that I'd be screwing myself out of a stop... and he said that because I get paid by the hour and I'm not a bonus driver that it would'nt make a difference. I asked him what decided if you were a bonus driver or not, and he snapped back at me by saying "YOU DO!" I told him that I had ran under on both Mon and Tue that week (15-20 min), and he said good for you, but normally you run arround scratch to 30 min. over... And a bonus driver runs 1 - 2 hrs under daily. I pointed out to him that the routes that do that ALSO have a better time study to them, and he said that it's true some routes do have a better study. I then pointed out to him that nobody runs 2 hrs under on the route i was doing that day... He didnt have a response to that one, other than restating to me to void the stop out of my board, and having the clerks scan them in as known to be closed...:whiteflag:[/quote

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
and the good customer would say ''yah just missed him'' or havn't seen em yet!!!! even better,ni 1 leave note no scan end of story, and they couldn't send us a message on a paper clipboard.......the good old days

Captain America

SuperDAD to the rescue
My feelings about the "bonus" program were concisely and clearly summarized in those two words. The time studies are not set up with fairness in mind and any "bonus" driver is just damaging their health and safety. I am sorry if my attempt at humor was a failure:not_fair:

BrownSuit

It seems like it varies from Center to Center and District to District.

So the best answer seems to be - Do what you're told. UPS is setup to allow for a greater control at the Center and District level, no matter how screwed up the decision may be.

Logically, even if we know the location is closed, the package should be still attempted. That's what we are paid for after all and advertise 3 attempts. It sounds like some are trying to lower the cost to serve by no loading certain packages.

Last week ran into two situations where this caused problems. First was an NDA AM where the driver drove by the location because there were no lights on and they are normally closed. Guess what, the owner was there waiting for a shipment that cost him a lot of business. Location was never attempted and marked as closed.

Second was with a business that normally isn't open until late in the afternoon. Driver had a large NDA package. Marked it DR in part to make commit (The package was for some reason marked resi) and left it . . . in his truck. Upon being asked stated that he left it inside the front door as he had keys to the location, but the customer couldn't find it. There were two people inside the front steps waiting for the package. Several messages later admitted it was still in his truck and broke trace to get it to the customer.

This is why even though you know it is scheduled to be closed, we should still be attempting a delivery. We get paid to attempt 3 times, let it sit on a postcard, and only then return the package. If we have to return the package, we charge for that too. That's easy money for doing what we promised the customer in the first place.

Just my two cents