Not able to call in!!!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Don't you think 27 times is a tad too much? I remember an employee who felt entitled... The first words out of the employee's mouth were "but I was really sick this time". He was very angry as well. He ended up losing his job for attendance after 3 progressive suspensions. Bad habits are hard to correct.
BrownIE is right though. There is a double standard. I got a warning letter just a couple of months ago because B was pissed off at me for something that was completely unrelated. I called in sick 8 times last year. We have drivers that call in all the time, 1 has easily called in more than twice as many times as I have. Nothing is done about it.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
On the extremely rare days (I average about 1 sick call every 2 years) when I call in sick...I dont discuss or argue or debate the point. I'm sick, I cant work, its not up for negotiation. End of discussion. I worked 2 weeks of peak on a broken toe, I have worked with terrible colds, I have worked and then gone in to the dentist on my lunch break for painful procedures and waited until I got home to take the vicodin that was prescribed for me. I dont have anything to prove to them.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I rarely call off sick. Maybe two time in the last ten yrs. When I do there is no negotiation, my name is and I am off sick. I used to play that game, no more.
If you are calling off sick, the only reason you cannnot is your phone is broke.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

On the extremely rare days (I average about 1 sick call every 2 years) when I call in sick...I dont discuss or argue or debate the point. I'm sick, I cant work, its not up for negotiation. End of discussion. I worked 2 weeks of peak on a broken toe, I have worked with terrible colds, I have worked and then gone in to the dentist on my lunch break for painful procedures and waited until I got home to take the vicodin that was prescribed for me. I dont have anything to prove to them.

I rarely call off sick. Maybe two time in the last ten yrs. When I do there is no negotiation, my name is and I am off sick. I used to play that game, no more.

I also rarely call in sick but when I do there is little discussion. I would think that in all 3 of our cases our respective center manager's know that we can be counted on to not only be there each and every day but to do the best that we possibly can each and every day and for us to call in sick we must really be sick.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have been blessed with good health, I dont minimize the luck of that. dont give me crap when I never call off. I will call and ask for the day, but I say it is not important, I just do not want to work. Both times I have been called back in, and came in, as my truck was sitting.............................THAT makes me ill.
so at this point if I call in, Im sick. And no Im not coming in at 1030, so I can stay out til 9.

over9five

Staff member
Lol, here's another huge difference between Package and Feeder. When I call off now, the Feeder Professional sup will just say, "OK Ovah, hope you feel better".
No whining. No argueing. No crying. "Hope you feel better".

UPS Lifer

BrownIE is right though. There is a double standard. I got a warning letter just a couple of months ago because B was pissed off at me for something that was completely unrelated. I called in sick 8 times last year. We have drivers that call in all the time, 1 has easily called in more than twice as many times as I have. Nothing is done about it.

Dill,

If you know for a fact that an employee has more call ins than you, get it on the record if mgmt is documenting it. For example, you feel you are being singled out for something unrelated. Next step is a grievance for harassment.

As a manager in that operation, I would pull everyone's record and see who has the worst attendance record and start documenting with a progressive discipline step, so that all employees are on equal footing going forward (key words).

There is no excuse for not treating all employees equally especially in regards to attendance. This is a Labor Manager's worst nightmare. It is their responsibility to set the standard for their district and have something in place to monitor employee records.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dill,

If you know for a fact that an employee has more call ins than you, get it on the record if mgmt is documenting it. For example, you feel you are being singled out for something unrelated. Next step is a grievance for harassment.

As a manager in that operation, I would pull everyone's record and see who has the worst attendance record and start documenting with a progressive discipline step, so that all employees are on equal footing going forward (key words).

There is no excuse for not treating all employees equally especially in regards to attendance. This is a Labor Manager's worst nightmare. It is their responsibility to set the standard for their district and have something in place to monitor employee records.
If I bring it up all I get is the standard, "It's been handled." or words to that affect. All he does is insinuate that warning letters have been issued and I can't prove otherwise.

thenry03

thats crazy, the only way to go is to inform them you wont be in, dont say why, if they ask say its personal reasons. This isn't a union issue, this is a corporate bullcrap issue

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
I agree with the other's said that the call in its not a request its a notification. If your feeling a little guilty about letting the "team " down then medicate yourself first with a few shots of your favorite liquor then ask them if its alright if you come in a little loaded. Works every time and soothes the pain.:drunkbf: