not being able to get my job back

g.one371623

ive been working with you ups since 2008 till 2012 , ive screwed up a few times and was able to get my job back for the second time and i had to sign a agreement with my union rep stating that i cant mess and be late for a period of time. at a point i got sick and wasnt able to go to work i kept calling the office and no answer , at the end of the day i was dismissed. I;ve been trying to get my job back and i know its my fault but now my union rep doesnt want to help me, what can i do ?

Skooney

I'm not a union rep, so I can't speak from that side of the fence.. But I would imagine there is not much you can do. Sick hours are there for when you're sick. If you took the chance and abused that, and signed that piece of paper.. I don't think there is anything they can do for you.

I mean I don't understand this question, I've heard it numerous times in my 18 years - people are late, or don't come to work. At UPS, all you have to do is show up on time. That's it. If you want to be lazy, you can do that. If you want to drive or take a 22.3 job when available, you can do that. But the only thing you are absolutely required to do is show up, and be on time.

g.one371623

​I was being on time and i had my doctors note and everything. i was able to speak to them and they were going to move me to different department i meet the supervisor and was requested to write a letter saying why i want my job back and i did and than later told me i cant get my job back when i told them i did the letter and never read it, why bring hopes up

g.one371623

I'm not a union rep, so I can't speak from that side of the fence.. But I would imagine there is not much you can do. Sick hours are there for when you're sick. If you took the chance and abused that, and signed that piece of paper.. I don't think there is anything they can do for you.

I mean I don't understand this question, I've heard it numerous times in my 18 years - people are late, or don't come to work. At UPS, all you have to do is show up on time. That's it. If you want to be lazy, you can do that. If you want to drive or take a 22.3 job when available, you can do that. But the only thing you are absolutely required to do is show up, and be on time.

I was being on time and i had my doctors note and everything. i was able to speak to them and they were going to move me to different department i meet the supervisor and was requested to write a letter saying why i want my job back and i did and than later told me i cant get my job back when i told them i did the letter and never read it, why bring hopes up

UPSGUY72

ive been working with you ups since 2008 till 2012 , ive screwed up a few times and was able to get my job back for the second time and i had to sign a agreement with my union rep stating that i cant mess and be late for a period of time. at a point i got sick and wasnt able to go to work i kept calling the office and no answer , at the end of the day i was dismissed. I;ve been trying to get my job back and i know its my fault but now my union rep doesnt want to help me, what can i do ?

Being in the UNION isn't a excuse to be a total A-hole. Your SOL you should have showed up to work sick and they would have sent you home.....

Here is a little advise that will go along way in your life. GROW UP YOUR AN ADULT STOP ACTING LIKE A CHILD.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

Was this agreement a "last and final" or "last chance" agreement? If so, you're probably ****ed. I've never even heard of a last chance agreement being signed over attendance and if you're in the hub, your attendance must have been particularly atrocious to even get to that point.

I've seen guys skate by missing 2+ days a week and being late every day and getting sent home for it for well over a year before finally getting the hammer dropped on them.

This is why any steward or BA worth a damn will only sign a last chance agreement as a last resort. Unless you were literally bed ridden (and the doctor can confirm this) and couldn't walk into to the hub to deliver your doctor's note, you're probably done.

hyena

Being in the UNION isn't a excuse to be a total A-hole. Your SOL you should have showed up to work sick and they would have sent you home.....

Here is a little advise that will go along way in your life. GROW UP YOUR AN ADULT STOP ACTING LIKE A CHILD.
Being on BC doesn't give you the right to be a total A-hole either... Where I come from its still an infraction if they send you home. Missing work when your sick has nothing to do with being in the union. A sup at my hub misses 4 months out of the year but still has his job.

browntroll

sorry to hear you got fired but i wish i had more of your supervisors at my hub. i see guys at my job miss once a week,
others come in late everyday and not get told anything. one guy was fired twice for attendance but came back but then again those are
favorites. i know one guy after 5 ocassions they wrote him up, while i saw another guys first warning paper it had something
like 100 lates and 40 days missing.

stink219

[

Was this agreement a "last and final" or "last chance" agreement? If so, you're probably ****ed. I've never even heard of a last chance agreement being signed over attendance and if you're in the hub, your attendance must have been particularly atrocious to even get to that point.
I thought the same thing. Only seen last chances on cardinal infractions.

It is my experience as a S.S. to see people good aditudes get massive leaniancy. Ive seen an individual have over 150 staight lates and not be fired. As a leader your rep both B.A. and S.S. should have gotten in your ass for making others have to babysit a grown man.I have seen this company attempt to fire model employees just to try and show the rest of us that no person is safe. There are ways to get around sick calls FMLA and ADA and many labor law per state. But those are for legitimate medical issues. Irresponsibility is not an medical issue. It sounds like you needed this wake-call. I do not wish bad upon you its just sometimes the hardest lessons in life are the ones that you remember and don't repeat. Good luck.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
sorry to hear you got fired but i wish i had more of your supervisors at my hub. i see guys at my job miss once a week,
others come in late everyday and not get told anything. one guy was fired twice for attendance but came back but then again those are
favorites. i know one guy after 5 ocassions they wrote him up, while i saw another guys first warning paper it had something
like 100 lates and 40 days missing.
If it doesn't affect you, you've got nothing to worry about.

UPS Preloader

How much time passed between the letter and the missed days? When you refer to your union rep are you referring to your steward or your business agent?

UPSGUY72

Being on BC doesn't give you the right to be a total A-hole either... Where I come from its still an infraction if they send you home. Missing work when your sick has nothing to do with being in the union. A sup at my hub misses 4 months out of the year but still has his job.

The truth hurts doesn't it.

Apparently you didn't read the OP entire post. " ive screwed up a few times and was able to get my job back for the second time and i had to sign a agreement with my union rep stating that i cant mess and be late for a period of time"

He screw up a little more than a few times unless a few is 10 to 20 and did you miss that he has already been fired twice I would be that the OP problem revolves entirely around not showing up to work. Which is why he had to sign a paper saying he would miss any work for ( 6 months, or what time frame it was ). He knew what he signed he should had dragged his ass the work and got sent home.

Getting sent home because your sick isn't a infraction.

Ouch

I'm a steward and I can tell you this much, now this is being honest, attendance to me is the hardest thing to represent. Making it to work is a must, and there's not alot I can do to defend that. On the other hand, if someone else has set the presidence on attendance then you might have a shot. Another words if there is another hourly there that has missed more than you then you may have a discrimination grievance, you could always file that they have singled you out. Good luck and make sure you get to work when your suppose to be there.

rod

Retired 22 years
We had a driver who liked to drink alot. (he took it to extremes). At least 3 nights a week he would shut the bars down. He would get off work-go home and take a shower- put on his bar hopping clothes-pack his change of UPS clothes for the next day. After the bars shut down if he hadn't found some lovely lady to shack up with he would somehow make his way to the UPS center and let himself in (we all had a key to the building)- go up stairs and fall asleep in the locker room. The 1st driver to show up the next day would wake him up and the whole process would start all over again. Many many times he did this. Management never caught on and as far as I know he must have did his job as good as the rest of us because they weren't on his case anymore than the rest of us. So the secret to good attendance is "you can't be late if you sleep at the UPS building".

P.S. The last I heard he had retired about 5 years ago with 30 years in and is still drinking like a fish. In fact he had bought a 4 bedroom house across the street from a bar. He rents the other 3 bedrooms out to divorced ladys.

stink219

I'm a steward and I can tell you this much, now this is being honest, attendance to me is the hardest thing to represent. Making it to work is a must, and there's not alot I can do to defend that. On the other hand, if someone else has set the presidence on attendance then you might have a shot. Another words if there is another hourly there that has missed more than you then you may have a discrimination grievance, you could always file that they have singled you out. Good luck and make sure you get to work when your suppose to be there.

How does 95 book offs grab you? Our guy is still here. Remember, when dealing with absenteeism, most language I have seen is based on UPS's obligation of being required to pay for a certain amount of days. So UPS is obligated to pay for X amount of sick and personal days. It never said your limited to X amount of days. Follow?

stink219

We had a driver who liked to drink alot. (he took it to extremes). At least 3 nights a week he would shut the bars down. He would get off work-go home and take a shower- put on his bar hopping clothes-pack his change of UPS clothes for the next day. After the bars shut down if he hadn't found some lovely lady to shack up with he would somehow make his way to the UPS center and let himself in (we all had a key to the building)- go up stairs and fall asleep in the locker room. The 1st driver to show up the next day would wake him up and the whole process would start all over again. Many many times he did this. Management never caught on and as far as I know he must have did his job as good as the rest of us because they weren't on his case anymore than the rest of us. So the secret to good attendance is "you can't be late if you sleep at the UPS building".

P.S. The last I heard he had retired about 5 years ago with 30 years in and is still drinking like a fish. In fact he had bought a 4 bedroom house across the street from a bar. He rents the other 3 bedrooms out to divorced ladys.

I want to meet him so I can shake his hand!!

Ouch

How does 95 book offs grab you? Our guy is still here. Remember, when dealing with absenteeism, most language I have seen is based on UPS's obligation of being required to pay for a certain amount of days. So UPS is obligated to pay for X amount of sick and personal days. It never said your limited to X amount of days. Follow?
Gotcha we had a guy that always set the presidence, while hard to do somehow it always worked out.

You could have always been on time and not called off. I worked every part time shift while working other jobs sometimes 70 hours a week but I prided myself on being on time. It's kinda important.