Not currently eligible for rehire?

bigc

Hi guys I worked at ups last month as a driver helper and it was a great experience. I was on time everyday and worked generally 5 days a week for about 6-7 hours for four weeks. Me and the 3 drivers that i worked with at that time instantly clicked and got a lot of good work done. On the last day when I called in for work and the supervisor let me know that it was the last day he also thanked me and mentioned how extremely reliable I had been. I threw in that I was interested to work pt in the near future for ups and he told me to go right ahead and apply for the pt package handler position and to put his name in for a recommendation. I also met the package operations manager a few days later and he got all my contact info and told me to apply online. I just checked my application online and it says
"Thank you for your interest in opportunities with ups, however our records indicate that as a former employee of ups you are not currently eligible for rehire."
How can that be? Do you guys have any ideas? Go there in person? Call? I'm hoping its some kind of paper work error. I was really looking forward to working there part time. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

P

pickup

I am thinking it might be a clerical error as well. I do know that when one applies for a position and has already worked there, that the applicant will get a message something along the lines like "we see you have worked here before and need to check on your record before you can continue this application." Yes follow up on this any which way you can. Use contact numbers of people you know in there or go in person if you can legitimately get past security.

Good luck.

menotyou

bella amicizia
He's not eligible because UPS would have to give him seniority back to when he was hired for peak. They will make him wait til after March. Its UPS' game they play every year.

kmjs14

He's not eligible because UPS would have to give him seniority back to when he was hired for peak. They will make him wait til after March. Its UPS' game they play every year.

If you're correct, and the two supervisors told him to apply it would not surprise me in the least.

brownrod

It is possible the driver gave negative feedback about you.
I was asked if my helper was someone UPS should rehire. I said yes.

P

pickup

I was about to say "good point". Then I thought as a helper, he probably came in during the "Free Period" during which the days he worked did not translate to any days accrued towards making seniority. So your reasoning may not apply.

Last edited by a moderator:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I was about to say "good point". Then I thought as a helper, he probably came in during the "Free Period" during which the days he worked did not translate to any days accrued towards making seniority. So your reasoning may not apply.

Here, if you work through peak, to be rehired, the company lays off the person and re-hires them to complete a new 30 day seniority period. IT's not usually 3 months but maybe a few days to a week.

UPSGUY72

Corrrect he isn't eligible till AFTER MARCH 1st if they hire him back in the first 60 days of the new year his senority date is the day he started working as a temp.

P

pickup

Here, if you work through peak, to be rehired, the company lays off the person and re-hires them to complete a new 30 day seniority period. IT's not usually 3 months but maybe a few days to a week.

Yeah, you're right!! hmm maybe doesn't apply at my hub . I don't know to be honest.

P

pickup

why would ups care when his seniority date is? just asking here...

I suppose the thinking is to have more time to make an evaluation. For example, if the original poster were to be hired this month of january, he would have lets say, i don't know 20 working days towards making "his book"(being a member of the union and thus have union protection) . So only 10 working days to see if he can do the job of loading, unloading , whatever. Not really enough time to see if he can and he only proved work ethic and capability in the role of a ups helper outside of the hub.

Can he cut it on the inside? Can do the job? Can he take being yelled at by a supervisor ? Why leave only 10 days to find this out? Better for the company to have 30.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I suppose the thinking is to have more time to make an evaluation. For example, if the original poster were to be hired this month of january, he would have lets say, i don't know 20 working days towards making "his book"(being a member of the union and thus have union protection) . So only 10 working days to see if he can do the job of loading, unloading , whatever. Not really enough time to see if he can and he only proved work ethic and capability in the role of a ups helper outside of the hub.

Can he cut it on the inside? Can do the job? Can he take being yelled at by a supervisor ? Why leave only 10 days to find this out? Better for the company to have 30.
That is what I hear. Didn't say it was nice or fair, just that it is what I see every year. Unless, they are REALLY short staffed.