Not Getting paid for Christmas!!!!!

DamageCallTag

Well,,,,I was told tonight that we will possibly not be running a local sort Christmas eve or the friday after Christmas. They said we will not be making pickups either day,,therefore no need for a local sort. Manage also told me the contract states,,,which I already knew this,,,you must work the day before or the day after to get holiday pay. Now,,if they are telling us we will not be running a sort how can they not pay use? Management said it was a way of cutting cost. Which in turn completely screws all the part timers who bust their butts to get the sort down by pull time,,especially when the drivers are rolling in late. Has anyone else heard about this happening? Ifso I think its a load of crap. Merry Christmas from the big brown. Here is your crappy calendar and your Turkey voucher. Yippy fricken skippy.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Your scheduled day before or after! If theres no work thursday/friday, that means your scheduled work days would be wednesday and monday! Find a steward in your area.

chev

Nightcrawler
Most of us in our feeder dept. get laid off Christmas eve every year. We either take a paid day or no pay. We always get paid for Christmas though.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
They try this here from time to time.

They have always paid the holiday pay.

As long as ups calls the shift off, you worked your last scheduled shift before the holiday, so you do get the paid day for christmas.

d

8up

two weeks ago some of the twilight employees i talk too were complaining about having to work Christmas eve and the friday after. a couple of them said that they probably wouldn't come back in town to work friday. now that the word is out that we won't have a twilight sort on either day, these same folks are now complaining about loosing money, this is before anyone has said anything about the holiday pay. i had to ask one of them, who had previously stated that it wasn't worth coming in on the friday after. what's the problem?

Bryishre

ktm atv racer
Christmas Eve is not a holiday for Ups.The inside employees dont get paid for that day since they dont work. Delivery Drivers do because they deliver pkgs on Christmas Eve. Everyone will get still get Christmas Day paid. But you got to work on tues and fri. MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE

chev

Nightcrawler
two weeks ago some of the twilight employees i talk too were complaining about having to work Christmas eve and the friday after. a couple of them said that they probably wouldn't come back in town to work friday. now that the word is out that we won't have a twilight sort on either day, these same folks are now complaining about loosing money, this is before anyone has said anything about the holiday pay. i had to ask one of them, who had previously stated that it wasn't worth coming in on the friday after. what's the problem?
lol. Can't have it both ways. I guess they want to be paid for nothing. :dissapointed:
I can't say I wouldn't mind being paid for Christmas eve myself, but I've gotten used to it.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Most of us in our feeder dept. get laid off Christmas eve every year. We either take a paid day or no pay. We always get paid for Christmas though.
Ill take the vlo and use a sick or optional on a nice day in July thank you!!

steeltoe

In the Southern Region it is Article 60.

"seniority employees must complete the regularly scheduled work day which imediately precedes or follows the Holiday, except in cases of proven illness, or unless the absence is mutually agreed to."

As far as I am concerned, this article covers both lines of thought. If you complete Tuesday or Monday, I believe these are your regularly scheduled work days. If this does not cover you, then I believe that both Wednesday and Friday are mutually agreed to.