Not Impressed

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
It's truly up to you- how to deal with negative coworkers, long hours, hard physical labor. But there is the $, benefits, vacations, etc. It gets harder when your in your 50's, believe me! I can't imagine how someone does this in their 60's!!! It's a young mans(womans) job. The sooner(younger) you start the sooner you can get out. Maybe what you were already doing before wasn't all that bad, YOU have to decide. Good Luck.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I only come here for the free clothes and the water they give out sometimes hey its a place to go at nite right!!!!!:happy2::happy2:

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
It's a harder job than most, for sure...

With utmost respect for your opinion, and utmost respect for all drivers, seriously - I dare you to say that to any landscaper, roofer, steelworker, hell, anyone in the construction trade anywhere.

Yes, it is hard. So is every job. There is a reason there is a PT loader hazing at $8.50/hour for 5 years to become a driver. And it is not because "it is a harder job than most".

Big Babooba

I only come here for the free clothes and the water they give out sometimes hey its a place to go at nite right!!!!!:happy2::happy2:
Man Oh Man, NEVER drink the tap water. Do you know how many times I pissed in the Quabbin when I was out fishing?:happy-very: That's how we who live west of Worcester get even with the Bostonians.

It must be the bottles of water that are found in the back of package cars at night. Another way ups can be environmently friendly by recycling.

Dutch Dawg

Ok you guys gave some good feed back. I'm not complaining about the work at all, i love it! Everyone i work with just seem so grim, i'm very positive and upbeat and don't want become that way. I don't like getting sent home! I've been a professional driver for over 20 years so i've paid my dues, i wanna work!!

I am not sure who you feel you've paid your dues to as referenced above unless you've been a union member somewhere and you are literally referring to $$. I can tell you as an outside seasonal hire, you are probably envied by many within the company that have been overlooked for the position you now have and having worked that position for such a short time contrary to what you state you are complaining. Why is that relevent? Because you need to be honest with yourself. We all have had self doubts at some time or another about this job. For you to express it publicaly this early could indicate that you are not still blinded by the hunger which causes me to think you will experience early burnout, maybe it's time for you to move on. Hey, then again maybe you just had a bad day and the wine got to talking for you.

Hangingon

I also haven't found 1 driver that is happy.

Not sure how it is in your center, but in mine the drivers are all mad and grumpy until we get on road. The worst 30 mins of the day is in the building listening to the sups. Once most of us get on road and actually start doing the job we're paid to do we settle down and relax.

dillweed

Not sure how it is in your center, but in mine the drivers are all mad and grumpy until we get on road. The worst 30 mins of the day is in the building listening to the sups. Once most of us get on road and actually start doing the job we're paid to do we settle down and relax.

This is so true! I've never seen such a crabby bunch of whine-asses in my life as drivers showing up for work. They look in their trucks and start carrying on right away. Not all of them are like this but many are.

And as hanginon said, they are fine once they are out of the building and it's putting up with sup's BS that usually sets them off. Our drivers are a capable, independent bunch and just love the freedom of being out on the road representing the company in a positive way.

mngirl - seek out those drivers who do have a sense of humor and some time under their belts. They will help you, support you and make you laugh. Best of luck!