Not in Union yet but is this right?

First of all I started loading Monday so, obviously im not in the Union yet. It takes me an hour to get to work and an hour to get back home. Thursday after only working 1 hour my FT Sup told me to go home. I pleaded for him to give me something to do and he wouldnt budge. My truck wasnt busy but we had jam and backup lights on all over the place. Can he send me home only after one hour? Im not in the Union yet so I dont know what my rights are. Working one hour doesnt even pay for my freaking gas to get to and from work.

brownlaso

From the contract where im at, you are guaranteed 3 and 1/2 hours minimum each night, but since you are not part of the union, yet, i don't think there is much you can do at the moment.

JonFrum

The complete Union Contract (National Agreement and your Regional Supplement) applies to you in full from Day One.

The Contract covers all Bargaining Unit members, and all Bargaining Unit work. (See Articles 1, 2, and 3.)

Specifically, Article 22, Section 5 says, "All part-time employees governed by this Article shall be provided a minimum daily three and one half (3-1/2) hour guarantee."

Some employees never join the Union, but the Contract still fully applies to them as Bargaining Unit members doing Bargaining Unit work.

However, Management does have the limited right to fire you without protest from the Union during your probationary period, so be careful.

UPS can't fire you for illegal reasons, or to evade the Contract's provisions. But they can fire you for being an unacceptable worker, or for committing some offense. They can also lay you off temporarily in advance if there is not enough work anticipated to keep everyone busy.

First check with your steward and/or Business Agent, to be sure they will back you up if you assert your right to your daily 3.5 hour guarantee.

Indecisi0n

I can pretty much guarantee that if you start invoking any rights now you won't have a FT job at UPS. I needed the union a week after i made book and when i used them my center manager looked down on me in disappointment like i was a puppy that just **** on the carpet and said "I really thought you were a team player." HAHAHAH It took everything i had not to laugh in his face.

Buck Fifty

He has a right to his 3.5 guarantee, when he punches in. If they try to send you home, tell them you would like your guarantee. If they force you to go home, then get with steward and file for the time up to the 3.5. Stand up for yourself.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He has a right to his 3.5 guarantee, when he punches in. If they try to send you home, tell them you would like your guarantee. If they force you to go home, then get with steward and file for the time up to the 3.5. Stand up for yourself.

You don't think it best he wait until his 30 days are over before going all Joe Union?

Catatonic

Nine Lives

And start looking for another job, just in case.

I always warn new hires especially to not listen to the locker room lawyers on here.
They like to run their mouths like they are big macho men.

Get your seniority first would be my advice.

Buck Fifty

And start looking for another job, just in case.

I always warn new hires especially to not listen to the locker room lawyers on here.
They like to run their mouths like they are big macho men.

Get your seniority first would be my advice.

If he's losing money, why would you advice him to stay. The idea is to earn money at a job. Not pay to get one !! Not about being macho. You and the steward go in the office with grievance and explain to them, that you need the 3.5 hrs they guaranteed you when they hired you. Its not about punching the company in the gut. Its about making sure the company understands that you hold them to their word. I have gone in a few times and never had to go thru with said grievance. They always made payroll adjustments and life went on with mutual respect. Skeered to death I tell Ya.

Indecisi0n

If he's losing money, why would you advice him to stay. The idea is to earn money at a job. Not pay to get one !! Not about being macho. You and the steward go in the office with grievance and explain to them, that you need the 3.5 hrs they guaranteed you when they hired you. Its not about punching the company in the gut. Its about making sure the company understands that you hold them to their word. I have gone in a few times and never had to go thru with said grievance. They always made payroll adjustments and life went on with mutual respect. Skeered to death I tell Ya.

This is horrible advise for a new guy. He hasn't made book so they are pretty much looking for any reason not to hire him. Getting the union involved before his 30 is the fastest way to be sent home packing.

Buck Fifty

This is horrible advise for a new guy. He hasn't made book so they are pretty much looking for any reason not to hire him. Getting the union involved before his 30 is the fastest way to be sent home packing.

He should sign up with the Union the first day. Thats the best advice for a new guy. All they are doing is seeing how much they can manipulate him. If you have a good steward, it is no easier to fire him before or after his seniority.