Not One Cent!

browntroll

im happy with my insurance, had a coworker tell me that a family friend was paying $200 a month for her "insurance" well her son
gets his nose broken during a game and "insurance" wont cover it and want her to pay a $10,000 deductible before they do anything.
if ur wondering hes been walking around with a broken nose for a week now.

hardball88

get'r done
A lot of fallacies here. There's very little difference between TeamCARE and the former UPS-administered plans. Most of the complaints, including the OP's, aren't because "TeamCARE stinks" but rather the fault of your health care provider improperly keying the billing. Some are use to the old UPS-administered plans, but for them to go back and re-key it is a very minor inconvenience and doesn't cost you a thing.

Some of your other points were discussed in another recent thread. There's absolutely no change in implant coverage -- UPS/IBT only covers them when deemed medically necessary, with a high threshold (e.g. you lost all of your teeth and are being fitted for dentures) required for both. Almost no insurance nationwide covers implants -- health care providers charge $4000 to insurances but typically accept $1000 cash for them.

And I get flu shots every single year; my UPS-administered plan always billed me by $10 co-pay. No change here.

This would've changed even if UPS continued to administer our plans. ER visits are much more costly than those to the doctor or urgent care -- often billed at $600 at the ER compared to $60 at your doctor. Many PTers utilized ERs extensively to save the $10 co-pay, ultimately costly UPS a ton of cash. UPS was not pleased with this.
We have a $100 ER co-pay which is intended to have us seek non-emergent health care elsewhere.
You also go to the ER because you need to and can't wait to see your GP.
That's a realistic issue you left out.
How do you know what UPS would've done with specific coverages? We never got that option.
It is what it is.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How do you know what UPS would've done with specific coverages? We never got that option.
It is what it is.

...which is why I added the "non-emergent" part...we had guys going to the ER with health issues that clearly could have waited until the following day...ever since our local added the co-pay our ER costs have gone down dramatically...

In my area, healthcare choices are limited, especially after 8 pm, to the ER and Fast Track, which is the clinic portion of our ER. The co-pay is $100 for either option while it is only $10 for a doctor's office visit.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

im happy with my insurance, had a coworker tell me that a family friend was paying $200 a month for her "insurance" well her son
gets his nose broken during a game and "insurance" wont cover it and want her to pay a $10,000 deductible before they do anything.
if ur wondering hes been walking around with a broken nose for a week now.

You didn't specify but I assume that her son's injury occurred during a school sanctioned sporting event---if this is the case, her son's injury should have been covered in part by the school's policy.

hardball88

get'r done
...which is why I added the "non-emergent" part...we had guys going to the ER with health issues that clearly could have waited until the following day...ever since our local added the co-pay our ER costs have gone down dramatically...

In my area, healthcare choices are limited, especially after 8 pm, to the ER and Fast Track, which is the clinic portion of our ER. The co-pay is $100 for either option while it is only $10 for a doctor's office visit.
Going to the ER with a nonemergency injury is wasteful unless you're out of town with no urgent care clinic available and the treatment can't wait until you can get back to your GP.

badupser

I never said our health insurance was sub-par. In fact its pretty damn good. My anger isn't based on the quality of insurance, it was based on the steady stream of "Vote Yes" flyers we were bombarded with that was assuring us that we wouldn't back down and wouldn't pay a dime. Well, the devil was in the fine print and the bill was already in the mail. We didn't even ask UPS to show us how their record profits were being destroyed by our health insurance. But, if your ok with that then good for you. Our children will thank us when they can't retire because no company will have a pension, pay a wage that raises you quality of life, supply health insurance that's not AT COST, match a 401k etc. So thank you good sir. Your complacency has fuel my inspiration for a brighter future.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
It is what it is.

You still have the option of going to the ER. In a true emergency (you're admitted into the hospital), the fee is waived. No change here. The difference is that use of the ER in a non-emergency situation is now punitive.

Every single year UPS has provided educational material pertaining to 'ER or your GP/urgent care' to discuss with our employee groups. It discusses the high costs associated with ER compared to GP/urgent care visits and helps the employee identify when to use the ER. My management team no longer spends time discussing this with us because as my Preload manager pointed out 'nobody cares how much it costs the company, just the cost to themselves.'

hall previously acknowledged that UPS was seeking to dilute the benefit package as well, although those details were never shared. But given that UPS has long whined that its ER costs are substantially more than they should be, you can bet that should we have retained company-administered benefits, this would've been a change UPS pushed for. Especially since current company-administered plans are much more punitive to the ER than our TeamCare is.

And yes... I'm aware that not every single TeamCare member has access to 24/7 urgent care/CP. But only a small percentage of Americans, typically in rural areas and poor urban areas, generally don't.

saintrick

Bagels

Most people I know avoid the ER.

Why would your co workers go for a cold and pay a $25 copay (under the UPS plan) when they could see their PCP for $10?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Bagels

Most people I know avoid the ER.

Why would your co workers go for a cold and pay a $25 copay (under the UPS plan) when they could see their PCP for $10?

The former UPS-Administered plan for PTers:
"Paid at 100% within 72 hours of accident or hospitalization; otherwise $25 copay."

I know of plenty of PTers who used the ER as their PCP/GP because they did not have to pay the $10 co-pay required of the latter. Hospitals are still a business, and if you bring your sick child showing mild symptoms of a cold in many will be more than happy to key it as an emergency rendering full payment. I've never been to a ER -- thankfully I've never had a true emergency and my family is so acquainted with my doctor that he prioritizes my (rare) visits -- but I have no reason to doubt the countless stories I've heard of no co-pays at the ER. Especially given how many of these people are now p'd off at TeamCare.

Flu shots for adults are not covered by Teamcare.

It looks like you're right -- I assumed it'd be covered under the wellness program, but it appears it's excluded. I get mine free from school (which seeks reimbursement from my insurance ... UPS would always reject the claim though) so I don't really know. Most community health departments offer flu shots for less than $10, and Costco is only $15, so not really that big of a deal.

hardball88

get'r done
The former UPS-Administered plan for PTers:
"Paid at 100% within 72 hours of accident or hospitalization; otherwise $25 copay."

I know of plenty of PTers who used the ER as their PCP/GP because they did not have to pay the $10 co-pay required of the latter. Hospitals are still a business, and if you bring your sick child showing mild symptoms of a cold in many will be more than happy to key it as an emergency rendering full payment. I've never been to a ER -- thankfully I've never had a true emergency and my family is so acquainted with my doctor that he prioritizes my (rare) visits -- but I have no reason to doubt the countless stories I've heard of no co-pays at the ER. Especially given how many of these people are now p'd off at TeamCare.

It looks like you're right -- I assumed it'd be covered under the wellness program, but it appears it's excluded. I get mine free from school (which seeks reimbursement from my insurance ... UPS would always reject the claim though) so I don't really know. Most community health departments offer flu shots for less than $10, and Costco is only $15, so not really that big of a deal.
They brought flu shots to our building. Cost was $15.00.Like I said, no one knew where UPS healthcare would settle in benefits.
It's a moot issue. History.
Everyone believes what they believe on that issue.
No one knows concrete facts because there aren't any. Never will be. Again, like I said, it is what it is.