Not One Cent!

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Wife just had a baby. C-section. Got our bill $16,000. Covered 100%. Couldn't believe it!

"This is called the pre-LOAD not the pre-STACK"
enjoy the free baby, i never paid anything for my two ecept 300 dollars for a private room due to complications.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
i would be filing bankruptcy if it wasnt for our benefits. The wife has multiple problems and is on 8 different medications.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
This would've changed even if UPS continued to administer our plans. ER visits are much more costly than those to the doctor or urgent care -- often billed at $600 at the ER compared to $60 at your doctor. Many PTers utilized ERs extensively to save the $10 co-pay, ultimately costly UPS a ton of cash. UPS was not pleased with this.
You do not know this to be true.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
hall previously acknowledged that UPS was seeking to dilute the benefit package as well, although those details were never shared. But given that UPS has long whined that its ER costs are substantially more than they should be, you can bet that should we have retained company-administered benefits, this would've been a change UPS pushed for. Especially since current company-administered plans are much more punitive to the ER than our TeamCare is.

Again, You don't know this to be a fact. You're guessing.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Bagels

Most people I know avoid the ER.

Why would your co workers go for a cold and pay a $25 copay (under the UPS plan) when they could see their PCP for $10?
You don't go to the ER for a cold.

You have chest pains. The first thing any emergency personnel tells you is to go to the ER right away if you are having chest pains.

You go to the ER, spend 8 hours there, they run every test in the book and find out angina or heartburn. They send you home and do not admit you. You are liable of 20% of what, a $4000 bill. Good luck paying that $800. It "was" free.

oldngray

nowhere special
What if you go to an urgent care first but they don't have the equipment to test you or for some reason tell you to go to ER. You then go to ER, have some tests done, but aren't admitted?

Theking30

SHORTY
$218.35 is half of what the average American family pays per week, for just healthcare, not including dental and vision. Please cry more about how we got screwed. Feel free to take a look at the bar graph to represent the rising healthcare costs over the years.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/danmunro/2013/05/22/annual-healthcare-costs-surpasses-22000/

Do these other people that pay more work at Ups?
Sorry, but I do not give a flip about joe blow lazy butt.
Who works at a job that he or she can run errands for the family and show up late and works 8 hours a day and attends his kids after school functions.

The fact is it really does not matter we are all screwed.
Thanks to our great Prez.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
emergency should be 100%

other: have learned the hardway about the copay. I ask upfront what my co pay will be. usually they don't know so I call Delta insurance to find out.

I also ask UPFRONT if they will take what the insurance co. pays as payment in full whether it is 80 or 90%. sometimes they say yes. sometimes no. I have them sign paper. if not I go to another provider that is happy with 90% from insurance.

sometimes I don't have a choice and have to use a provider that sends me a bill for the balance ( we don't have copays in the west , yet )

I negotiate with them after I get 3 or 4 bills and they almost will always negotiate a lesser amount or write off the rest.

my mother used to work at a hospitable billing dept. they overcharge on purpose to help pay for people who have no insurance or very poor coverage.

they never expect 100 % but act like it.

everything is negotiable.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I recently had to visit an emergency room for a finger infection.
Co-pay was $75.00 ,
but my hospital has a 10% discount for payment at discharge .

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
He is right----changes were going to be made to the healthcare plan if UPS had retained control.
They were going to propose changes. Does not mean we had to accept them. Even though it was UPS insurance, it would still have been negotiable in the contract and, as a last resort, we could strike.

And who knows whether they would have changed the 100% emergency room even if not admitted.

They started with a $30, $60, $90 monthly copay to keep the existing insurance with no changes. They dropped their offer to $20, $40, $60 before Hall said he will throw us into Teamcrap. If Hall stuck to his guns, they may have dropped the copay all together just to get the contract ratified and tried again for a copay in 2018.

We will never know though, Hall sold us out.

RealPerson

Urgent care is also an option to avoid the 20% co pay.
Depends on Where you live.
The urgent care places here are only open during normal doctors hours...
My daughter was taken to an urgent care when we were out of state on vacation and we were charged 20%.